Options

Plumbing question...

RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
Forum Member
✭✭
What are those things called that are screwed onto a water pipe to puncture it in order that you can plumb a washing machine in without needing to cut & solder pipes etc?

Also, would a standard Hozelock threaded adaptor fit on the end that you would normally put the washing machine hose on, or do hoses use different types of threads?

I need to be able to run a garden hose from the pipe, instead of a washing machine lol.

Hope that makes sense.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Self cutting isolating valves and yes they will do for a hose connection.

Self cutting iso valve B&Q
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RubusRoo wrote: »
    Thank you for that.

I've used one myself. Just make sure you insulate it well and drain it when winter comes.
  • Options
    TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to becasreful with them though. I had them on my washing machine.

I was doing some work in the kitchen and needed to remove the washer...when I replaced the washed and re-connected the hot water one it wouldnt allow any water through. The tape turned as normal but no water...I had to drain the system and remove it. I did both of them whilst I was at it.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    If you go to one of the big DIY stores you will find you can buy a complete kit for installing an outside tap, including a self-cutting valve.

Make sure you get one that doesn't use a reduced size pipe, should be 15mm all the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    I've used one myself. Just make sure you insulate it well and drain it when winter comes.

It's for filling a 100L water barrel for doing water changes on my fish tanks. It won't be used outside.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RubusRoo wrote: »
    It's for filling a 100L water barrel for doing water changes on my fish tanks. It won't be used outside.

OK, I forgot to drain mine and the external pipe froze and burst:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just noticed that the recharge thing on my central heating is on a cold supply & it uses the same thread so I don't even need the cutter thing at all lol.