Options

Dublin Advice Required

Jay_1983Jay_1983 Posts: 1,653
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Three of us are going to Dublin next week for four nights from Wednesday-Sunday and I was wondering if anybody could offer me any advice on things to do, best deals etc please?

I have heard Dublin is very expensive so I am considering purchasing the Dublin pass when we get there. Also, please could anybody suggest what we should do re travelling? We are planning on getting the shuttle bus to and from the airport but will we need to buy any other travel tickets there? None of us mind walking to and from places.

We are staying in the Jury's Inn on Parnell Street and have got quite a reasonable rate considering the time of year and the premium location.

Attractions we'd like to do are the Guiness Museum, the open-top bus and possibly the zoo. I am wondering if it might be cheaper to just pay for the attractions individually instead of buying the Dublin Pass, although I believe this covers transport from the airport.

Also, please could anybody suggest any reasonable restaurants? I am thinking of printing off vouchers for Pizza Hut and the Gourmet Burger Kitchen and have also heard that the restaurant in the Jury's Inn is very competititve. There is also a Tesco across the street from our hotel so we may not eat out every day, as we have bed and breakfast at the hotel.

I have an iPhone and plan on buying some data so I can use it over there but I am unsure if the voucher code apps I use over here will work in Ireland.

Many thanks in advance for any advice anybody can offer me.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought you were going to Manchester?

Here is a recent thread on the same subject.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1661115&highlight=dublin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for the reply. I will have a look through the other thread.

I am going to Manchester at the end of the month for the bank holiday weekend. Apologies for the confusion in the other thread name but I bumped my old post from last year when I was asking the same thing.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    If you like tapas, go here

http://www.marketbar.ie/

Really good atmosphere, the food is great, and by Republic of Ireland standards it isn't that expensive (still pricey-ish though). You can go here just for drinks as well as they have a normal pub-type bar as well, if you don't fancy the food.

I've actually found that the UK have "caught up" a bit with Irish prices so it doesn't seem as expensive as it used to. Capital cities are always more expensive than other cities anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, that tapas restaurant looks worth a visit.

Re the Gourmet Burger Kitchen, their offer of €9.99 for a burger, drink and side is on Monday-Thursday. Does this mean I don't actually need to print off the voucher. Do any Dubliners know? Thanks.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ghost tour on the bus was good
  • Options
    Rupert RigsbyRupert Rigsby Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    The Zoo is a must as is Kilmainham Gaol, Think i've spelt that right, An interesting visit, We didn't buy the Dublin Pass as we thought it to be abit pricey, I know it includes all the attractions but realistically in the short time we were there we wouldn't be able to do it all, We bought the freedom ticket as that includes the green open top tour,

Temple Bar is fun but very pricey, There's a nice chinese buffet just on the banks of the river near O'Connell Street,

We just enjoyed the atmos really, A lovely city in the sunshine!

Have a good time!
  • Options
    punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spent four days in Dublin in May and stayed at the Jurys Inn too. Very comfortable hotel and nicely placed for the centre of the city. As you say, there is a mini Tesco across the road and a decent chippy and a couple of other convenience stores nearby.

For cheap travelling get a three day Rambler bus ticket. You can buy it at the travel counter at the airport, it's 14.20 euro and it is valid on all normal Dublin buses (though not the trams) for three non consecutive days, including the Airbus into the centre of the city (which stops halfway down O'Connell Street about two minutes walk from the Jurys Inn). Although you can walk to most places in the centre of the city pretty easily anyway but it's useful if you want to travel to some of the coastal places outside the city like Howth and Dun Laoghaire.

Great free places to go include Phoenix Park (where the zoo is) in which you can spend a good half day just walking around, plus the botanical gardens and, if you're into that sort of thing, the enormous historic cemetery, both next to each other at Glasnevin, a couple of miles from the city centre in the northside.

Whatever you do, it's a great city - enjoy!