Options

Do you have to go to work during annual leave?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm asking on behalf of someone so bare with me on the details!

I will keep it short - basically this person has this week booked off, out of the blue their boss has been in contact saying they must come to a mandatory meeting. Is my friend in any position to say "no, I have this week off, made plans, not coming in"? They have been threatened to be disciplined if they don't turn up, though I think the boss it's taking liberties because they know my friend hasn't gone abroad - just getting some "me" time after a stressful few months.

Can they say no or is the boss entitled to take further action if they do not turn up? Looked online but can't find anything either way.

Comments

• Options
    allhitradioallhitradio Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    The short answer is that it depends what's in their contract of employment. There may well be a clause stating that leave can be cancelled etc (a common clause for people working in the emergency services etc). that's about the only basis upon which someone could end up being disciplined for not going in.

Although it does seem unreasonable, it may be in your friend's interest to go in for the meeting. Could be some earth shattering news is being broken(?)

If it was me, I'd probably go in but only if it was agreed that I could have the time back at a later stage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The short answer is that it depends what's in their contract of employment. There may well be a clause stating that leave can be cancelled etc (a common clause for people working in the emergency services etc). that's about the only basis upon which someone could end up being disciplined for not going in.

Although it does seem unreasonable, it may be in your friend's interest to go in for the meeting. Could be some earth shattering news is being broken(?)

If it was me, I'd probably go in but only if it was agreed that I could have the time back at a later stage.

I would (grudgingly) go in as well, however my friend won't unless it is basically by being dragged in. I can understand their point, there's been a lot of p-taking in their workplace regarding being unreasonably being made to work so I think they are trying to make a stand against it. However, I will tell them it may be in their best interest to go in.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regardless of the law, on the face of it this appears to be appalling management, but sadly there's no law against bad management. I think an explanation as to why attendance at this meeting is so critical, other than it being 'mandatory', could reasonably be expected from the manager.

Your friend should consider the consequences of non-attendance from a real-world perspective, not a legal one in my opinion. Will defying this idiot manager make life worse than breaking the holiday?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Regardless of the law, on the face of it this appears to be appalling management, but sadly there's no law against bad management. I think an explanation as to why attendance at this meeting is so critical, other than it neing 'mandatory', could reasonably be expected from the manager.

Your friend should consider the consequences of non-attendance from a real-world perspective, not a legal one in my opinion. Will defying this idiot manager make life worse than breaking the holiday?

You are quite right in your assumptions, from what I know. I don't know the exact details but it seem their boss is getting it in the neck from higher-ups after months of being useless and is taking now it out on the "minions". My friend is very good at what they do, however spite could well come into it. If it's not a formal discipline, they may well end up doing the crappy jobs from now on. That is up to the person I know though, I get the feeling they are going to make a formal complaint against their boss at some point due to for-mentioned uselessness anyway.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Depends on where you work...

Many financial services companies insist on their staff taking a two week holiday every year without any contact with work.

In my old workplace, I had to hand in my Blackberry, Laptop and company mobile (as did all my colleagues) for my chosen fortnight. It was to protect the company from fraud - it's difficult to maintain one when you don't have access to company systems for a fortnight.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if your mate was out of the country, then he can't go.

I would have thought work would have good reason for calling a meeting - maybe the company is being taken over. If he can go, just go.

i wouldn't assume its bad management. there will hardly be a week that someone isn't away.

look at it the other way. they need your mate so much, they need him to go in. might be a chance of promotion
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends where you work. That would NEVER happen in my work.

If it were me in that situation I would probably go in on the condition I got the time back in return somewhere.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering if they are announcing redundancies or something. I would not good news if its an emergency.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    I'm wondering if they are announcing redundancies or something. I would not good news if its an emergency.

From what I gather, it's about productivity - however it's more about the boss in question than those working for them, from what I gather. Like I said, the boss seems to be good at "passing the blame" as it were, but obviously I don't work there myself and do not have the 100% facts.
  • Options
    Gordon ClownGordon Clown Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Id say to them I have other plans.

Im always out of the country on my annual leave anyway
  • Options
    spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is harassment plain and simple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys - it seems to be resolved now, the meeting has been "rearranged for a more suitable time for everyone". Guess being firm really works sometimes. Excellent replies that may well be kept in mind for the future, they were really appreciated thank you :).
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was called in to work whilst on a two week holiday. They phoned me to cover for someone, but unfortunately (or fortunately) I was in Central Park, New York City when they phoned and was in no position to be there (Herts) in an hour. :eek:

Edit, glad it's sorted now OP. I always mention to any bosses that will listen that I am going abroad (even if I am not)
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    Personally, absolutely not. If I am on annual leave I am on a holiday AWAY from the office so nothing and nobody would compel me to go into the office during that period.
  • Options
    harry hamsterharry hamster Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is harassment plain and simple.

Armchair law experts are two a penny on here.
  • Options
    Hildas HairnetHildas Hairnet Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on where you work...

Many financial services companies insist on their staff taking a two week holiday every year without any contact with work.

In my old workplace, I had to hand in my Blackberry, Laptop and company mobile (as did all my colleagues) for my chosen fortnight. It was to protect the company from fraud - it's difficult to maintain one when you don't have access to company systems for a fortnight.

I wish this happened in my office :o
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holiday is holiday and your mate needn't come in unless it's part of a contract which some emergency services have. If he was abroad he couldn't come back, no difference if he is away in the UK or just sitting on his bum playing Xbox. If he doesn't go in, and the company kick off, then he can push the issue to HR who would be hotter on legalities. If he is fired for not coming then, then he has grounds for wrongful dismissal and could go to court to settle it. The truth however is that it is a load of faff, and far too much hassle for most people and he is probably far better off just going in for the meeting, then leaving as soon as it is over.