Resignation meeting.

louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I got a job with Dixons Retail and, due to outside problems, I felt I had no choice but to leave. I realised almost immediately, I had made the wrong decision and, consequently, asked if it was possible to come back. This was the following day. I was told it was too late.
I have received a letter scheduling a meeting about my leaving, which I will attend as I would return tomorrow if the possibility arose, but am puzzled as to the reason. Despite contacting employee relations to confirm my attendance, I was told only that the meeting was to discuss my reasons for resigning.
Can anyone who has worked for DSG, or has any input on such hearings, advise me as to what/why this meeting has been scheduled?
Thanks.

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These "exit interviews" are very common in large companies. They are just another thing to give the HR people something to do. Most of them are a waste of time and just a box ticking exercise.

You are leaving so you really don't have to tell them anything but it may help you get a better reference if you go into it being positive rather than using it as an opportunity to have a moan.

Some advice on how to deal with them:
    http://jobs.theguardian.com/article/4832077/approach-with-caution-how-to-survive-an-exit-interview/
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may want to consider using the meeting as another opportunity to tell them you regret leaving. No reason why you shouldn't, really. Good luck.
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have done a few exit interviews not for DSG I should add. You will find part of the exit is to get your feedback on why you decide to leave. This is to ensure their are no matters that they should have been aware in the work place like, bullying, accident that sort of thing.

They will normally remind you of the legal aspect of leaving a company such as not passing on information to other companies (I think it is for 6 months). Then it is to ensure you have handed over your keys, uniform, staff passes, documents etc

Finally most companies will have a general chat about how you found it to work their, would you consider coming back in future, plans for the future.

If you are leaving on good terms they are normally quite open and friendly chats. If you are leaving under a bit of a cloud then tend to be shorter more formal legal meetings. They are nothing to worry about and will normally only take 40 minutes to an hour unless you chat a lot :)

They are worth going to but it is your choice how much you wish to tell them
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all. Helpful input.