Acer Iconia set up problems.

louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have just bought the Iconia A3 and, despite being quite tech savvy, I cannot seem to get it set up properly. My ISP is BT, and I have entered the SSID, as provided on the hub - BTHomeHub2 - letters - and connect. It is bringing up the message authentication problem. The only page I can access is the BT one. One sentence tells me how to set it up. My internet connection if fine, and the wifi signal excellent. I think the tablet may be faulty, or the set up is so simplistic, I am missing something. Any help will be appreciated, or I will have to return it to QVC.

Comments

• d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,526
    Forum Member
    I have an A3 and had no problems setting up the Wifi.

Are you sure you are choosing the correct network from the list, and not somebody elses? Mine doesn't always come up as the top one.

It should be the wireless key listed on the HH pull-out tab but that could have been changed or be wrong so go into the HH via your PC browser http://bthomehub/home.html to check what it is. I changed both my HH3 admin password and my SSID key and have been known on occasion to forget that I did that, what I changed them to, or to mix them up! :o
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    I have an A3 and had no problems setting up the Wifi.

Are you sure you are choosing the correct network from the list, and not somebody elses? Mine doesn't always come up as the top one.

It should be the wireless key listed on the HH pull-out tab but that could have been changed or be wrong so go into the HH via your PC browser http://bthomehub/home.html to check what it is. I changed both my HH3 admin password and my SSID key and have been known on occasion to forget that I did that, what I changed them to, or to mix them up! :o

All the details I am inputting are correct, which is what makes me think there is a problem with the tablet. Wifi is listed as being connected. From switching the tablet on, how did you set it up? I am doing it the way I have done other tablets, successfully, but it is not working with this one. Thanks.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Try taking the tablet to somewhere with free wifi like a Mcdonalds or Starbucks and see if it connects or if you have a smartphone create a hotspot with that.

If it works in the above it is more likely to be something in your router setup or tablet setup rather than a fault.

One other thing try rebooting the router, sometimes some devices won't work and others will but a reboot of the router often fixes that.
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try taking the tablet to somewhere with free wifi like a Mcdonalds or Starbucks and see if it connects or if you have a smartphone create a hotspot with that.

If it works in the above it is more likely to be something in your router setup or tablet setup rather than a fault.

One other thing try rebooting the router, sometimes some devices won't work and others will but a reboot of the router often fixes that.

One thing I haven't tried, is a reboot. Thanx.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    When you reduce the brightness on the A3 to it's lowest setting it doesn't appear to make much difference. Anyone else have a similar problem?
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    heiker wrote: »
    When you reduce the brightness on the A3 to it's lowest setting it doesn't appear to make much difference. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Does it have auto brightness enabled? If so changing the slider setting will make no odds unless you disable auto brightness.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Does it have auto brightness enabled? If so changing the slider setting will make no odds unless you disable auto brightness.

Just checked my Model No....it's the Iconia A1-830. Not the A3 as I stated earlier :blush:

Unfortunately it doesn't include the auto brightness function, just the standard brightness slider. The difference between Max and Min is considerable, however, the Min setting is brighter than I would have expected.