Options

Incoming calls.

louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My mum can make calls, using the landline, but cannot receive any. It just connects to answerphone. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this a new phone?
    Many have options as to how many rings you allow before answerphone kicks in.
    It's possible to program them to go straight to answerphone.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »
    My mum can make calls, using the landline, but cannot receive any. It just connects to answerphone. Any ideas?

Depending on the provider, try dialling #21# and see if that fixes it.

Does she have an actual answering machine, or is it a voicemail service?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Answering machine. Mum has had them a couple of years. BT.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the answer machine is separate to the phone simply disconnect it from the line and plug the phone in on it's own. Then try making a call to her number and see if the phone rings at all.

There is a possibility the ringer in the phone is muted or broken and that in fact the phone does ring, just no-one can hear it! Or of course the answering machine is grabbing the calls too quickly. But using the phone only will give you an idea which.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's a BTx500 you can set it to divert either all calls, or calls from numbers not in your phonebook, direct to the answerphone.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you need to go into the answering machine settings on the phone and increase the number of rings before the answering machine picks up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all, but the answering machine isn't preventing us from answering the phone; it just isn't making a sound. The mute button is off, so it is not that. I can hear the dialling tone from my end, but mum can't hear it ringing. Think I'll just get her some new phones.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    Thanks all, but the answering machine isn't preventing us from answering the phone; it just isn't making a sound. The mute button is off, so it is not that. I can hear the dialling tone from my end, but mum can't hear it ringing. Think I'll just get her some new phones.

Old phones used three wires, the third one is for ringing - modern phones only use two wires, so if your sockets are wired to use only two wires an old phone won't ring.