The Javone Prince Show - BBC Two at 9:45pm, starts on 19/07/2015

2»

Comments

• Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to buck the trend & say that I like this show.

Prince is a hilarious guy with a lot of charisma.

I've never heard of him before, but I'll certainly look out for him in the future.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as I love PhoneShop I thought this should be promising but how wrong was I!!! More miss than hit painfully unfunny in parts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Just flicked over now, expecting family guy. Instead see this tool suggesting that black people have been asked to start the moonwalk at parties since 84 - I mean, wtf? I've never known any party where someone needed someone black to start a moonwalk, so god only knows what observational humours going on there.

The , a fake advert with Japanese all over it and a series of fart jokes. Aside from being criminally unfunny, is this not in itself racist? Or can a black man not be accused of racism?

I can only presume that he has pictures of the commissioning editor performing a sex act on an underage kitten. There can be no other reason for this absolute tripe being broadcast.

TL:DR - he's about as funny as finding a cancerous polyp on your anus.
  • bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The latest in the long line of ethnic minority comedians whose shtick revolves around ethnicity (i.e. 99% of them). Maybe if they weren't so insular and obsessed with their ethnicity, they might not feel so out of place. Weird thought, I know.

Not above mocking the Japanese, though. You see, the thing about the Japanese is that they can't pronounce 'l' and 'r' sounds properry. Loooool! Cutting edge! And entirely relevant to a UK audience, what with its close cultural affinity with Japan.
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well personally I loved carleen Anderson and Apparently Nothing. Took me back. and the end dance to Candy is brilliant, love it.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The episode I saw he was trying to make out that black actors have to go to America to get work in American TV series because they aren't offered work in the UK.
    (Like America isn't racist unlike this unjust and unfair country we call the UK)

The black actors' names who he listed were already known faces who had first appeared in British TV shows.
    David Harewood, Idris Elba, etc.
    Does he not consider for a second that maybe black actors are just like white actors in that whatever the colour of their skin they all try to get work in America and become successful on a bigger stage?

Maybe I'm missing something and that this itself is the joke? That he's playing the part of a cliched black comedian from the 1980s who feels that the system is racist against black performers?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bluefb wrote: »
    The latest in the long line of ethnic minority comedians whose shtick revolves around ethnicity (i.e. 99% of them). Maybe if they weren't so insular and obsessed with their ethnicity, they might not feel so out of place. Weird thought, I know.

Not above mocking the Japanese, though. You see, the thing about the Japanese is that they can't pronounce 'l' and 'r' sounds properry. Loooool! Cutting edge! And entirely relevant to a UK audience, what with its close cultural affinity with Japan.

And to think that Benny Hill was frowned upon for this very type of humour just before they decided to not commission any more of his shows.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the BBC have decided that we need more black faces on television, it's probably a case of "never mind the quality, just look at the colour of his skin" and another box is ticked.

I've found the odd thing amusing, which is more than can be said of some so called comedies.

I watch the soap 'Doctors', a Social Worker was introduced, can't act for toffee, but it doesn't matter- he's black!!!
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..............I watch the soap 'Doctors', a Social Worker was introduced, can't act for toffee, but it doesn't matter- he's black!!!

That's unusual, when it comes to social workers, it's usually a case of : she's black.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the tall hats sketch was vaguely amusing, but it was another meh episode in my option. I like the stuff he does on stage with the posh white bloke and the "banter" with Omar, but the sketches are the weak link.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I really really wanted to like this show. The first episode was promising but I turned off watching the 2nd ep halfway as it was sooo bad. Bring back The Real McCoy...or Blouse & Skirt!
  • owen10owen10 Posts: 127,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well this is the last episode of the series and i think it is pretty good I love the sketch where they were singing songs that sound like Rat pack songs and one was singing but swearing at the same time
  • SpiceymikeSpiceymike Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    I feel pretty much half and half about it. I laughed in parts but to me it felt aged like I was watching something in the very late 90's/early 2000's back when "Urban" was a big thing.

As mentioned already in other posts I also felt it was all too similar, not so much in terms of the racial sketches but sketches in general. One that springs to mind in the second episode with the estate agents when they pressure the couple into buying the house. It reminded me a lot of this Peter Serafinowicz sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAeprWIOQqQ
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spiceymike wrote: »
    I feel pretty much half and half about it. I laughed in parts but to me it felt aged like I was watching something in the very late 90's/early 2000's back when "Urban" was a big thing.

As mentioned already in other posts I also felt it was all too similar, not so much in terms of the racial sketches but sketches in general. One that springs to mind in the second episode with the estate agents when they pressure the couple into buying the house. It reminded me a lot of this Peter Serafinowicz sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAeprWIOQqQ

I was reminded of that sketch as well.