ID this supernatural mystery film, please

TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
Forum Member
✭✭
It's a supernatural mystery film, marketed as a horror film and released during the 2000s. Possibly some time during the last five years.

The plot is pretty convoluted, involving supernatural/religion and science. It features two timelines. One in present day and the other at the turn of a century. Set somewhere in the U.S. Like West Virginia.

I think in the past, a doctor was killed for exploiting local people's fear and panic. He became some kind of an immoral and went on a killing spree every decade, possibly? The female investigator is a redhead, I think.

The film title is one word and generic. I thought it was 'Superstition' or 'Soul', but nope. It's a terrible film, but I hate not remembering.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dunno but sounds interesting!
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heh. Sorry for forgetting to say I've solved the mystery.

It's Shelter (2010), starring Julianne Moore and Jonathan Rhys Myers. It's one of those intriguing premises that failed to come through, but it has its moments.

I watched it because it was written by Michael Cooney, a Brit who wrote Identity (2003), an almost traditional murder mystery with a twist, and The I Inside (2003), an odd little psychological thriller-mystery film.