Options

Is UK Celebrity Big Brother a parody show?

FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is an honest question because I'm not very familiar with the format. I saw pictures of the "Celebrity Housemates" and am pretty baffled by what they call celebrities. As an American, the only American so called celebrities would be Daniel Baldwin and Jenna Jameson and I've never heard of the Brit celebrities, which should be expected because I'm American. But my question is is this a parody show that gets the bottom of the barrel fame **** together so that people can laugh at them or is this a serious show where they try to get people whom they think are celebrities? Even Daniel Baldwin and Jenna Jameson really haven't been quasi-famous in over a decade or 2..

Are the actual UK housemates "celebrities" over there or are they the same dregs as the American housemates? And they pin this as the UK vs. America and that's the trash they get? Come on now.

Comments

• Options
    Marsh.Marsh. Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It used to be a show done for charity over a few days with a few "small time" celebrities.

Now it's just a trashy low-rent reality show with z list "celebs". So, yes, you could call it a parody. It's on channel 5 now which is a synonym for "trash".
  • Options
    Dreamer07Dreamer07 Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    big brother has never been a serious television show, its always been car crash tv
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Marsh. wrote: »
    It used to be a show done for charity over a few days with a few "small time" celebrities.

Now it's just a trashy low-rent reality show with z list "celebs". So, yes, you could call it a parody. It's on channel 5 now which is a synonym for "trash".
    its always been trash tv
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    It's no different to the 'celebrity' reality shows you have in the US? Celebrity Rehab, Celebrity Couples Therapy etc...

Do you honestly think any real celebs would do a show like this? Being filmed for 24 hours a day?
  • Options
    Acejr200Acejr200 Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    You will never get highly renowned and well known celebrities sign up to live in a house for 3 weeks with 15 other people whilst being filmed constantly.

It's one of those situations that can either make you or break you, and for highly successful and well known celebrities, the monetary payment for taking part is just not worth the risk of ruining their reputation when they can get that amount of money or more by doing what they are famous for.

Hence the reason only Z list or past it celebs take part.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its always been trash tv

That may be so. But in its early days it had a certain spark to it.

Now it's bottom of the barrel sh*te, as reflected in the channel it now airs on and the ratings it gets.
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They say you can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter.

Channel 5 have taken a turd and rolled it in shit.
  • Options
    marsheymarshey Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The UK 'celebrities' are a mixture of recent 'reality' TV participants and some actors etc who are 'looking for work'!

BTW, the only US participant on the show I have heard of is Jenna Jameson, but I'd never have recognised her (in clothes and with all that weight! ...lol !)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That may be so. But in its early days it had a certain spark to it.

Now it's bottom of the barrel sh*te, as reflected in the channel it now airs on and the ratings it gets.
    the ratings are good for channel 5 and january series pulls in over 3 million viewers
  • Options
    marsheymarshey Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Brilliant! We need a 'like' button on this forum!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the ratings are good for channel 5 and january series pulls in over 3 million viewers

Yes, emphasis on "good for channel 5" :D
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member

That was 14 years ago, and that format only last for two series!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, emphasis on "good for channel 5" :D
    3 million viewers is still a lot, its more than the last few years on channel 4
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Haha. I was interested to catch an episode but I wanted to know if I should laugh or just feel pity. The only "celebrity" show in America I have seen that tries to actually get famous people is Dancing with the Stars. But it usually is made up of past celebrities trying to jump start their career, or athletes trying to expand on their brand.

Now I'll watch it for the car crash entertainment that it was intended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    That was 14 years ago, and that format only last for two series!

Yes, I did say "used to be". That's what CBB started as.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 million viewers is still a lot, its more than the last few years on channel 4

Erm... no it isn't. :D

The last CBB to air on channel 4 in January 2010 has a series average that's still higher than any aired on channel 5.
  • Options
    Forum Member

i was meaning the civilian series :D
  • Options
    FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This show has always been trash tv but at it's peak it was extremely fascinating. Now it's just a good way to waste some time. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the celeb version has been better on channel 5 than it was on channel 4. The two best celeb versions on channel 4 were cc3 and cbb4(the best one ever), whereas cbb9, cbb13, cbb14 and cbb15 have all been good in my opinion. The civilian on channel 4 however knocks every one on channel 5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i was meaning the civilian series :D

Well, maybe BB10 which was the only civilian on C4 to drop below 3m on average.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well, maybe BB10 which was the only civilian on C4 to drop below 3m on average.
    and bb 11 and that awful ultimate big brother, bb11 averaged 2.8
  • Options
    Janette800Janette800 Posts: 13,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if people don't like BB they should stop watching .....oh wait can't be that bad...not only are they watching they are posting on the BB Forum :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and bb 11 and that awful ultimate big brother, bb11 averaged 2.8

UBB averaged 3 million. More than any civ series on channel 5. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

UBB averaged 3 million. More than any civ series on channel 5. :D
    im talking about the celeb version on channel 5 was getting more than the last few civilians and the awful ultimate big brother, which is true
  • Options
    Forum Member
    why are even on the forum marsh if you clearly don't like the show?