Liz Jones - YOU magazine (Part 3)

Comments

• StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bellagio wrote: »
    "Hello ? Is that the local hardware store ? Could you deliver several large vats of brain bleach ASAP, please ? It's an emergency."

Just popping to Aldi Bellagio - I'll pick you up some while I'm getting the 'giant super size' bottle for myself. If you don't mind a cheap, German brand. Afraid it's not organic Harrod's brain bleach.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much as I disapprove of commenting on appearances (good looks means nothing, in my opinion), Liz doesn't look any younger post-facelift.

Sorry Liz, but you look facelifted, plastic-faced and melty (but no younger).
    It proves her post surgery column photos have been airbrushed, especially one showing her on a sofa smiling a few weeks back. I know that face lifts can begin to sag after a while but NOT that quickly.
  • teacup333teacup333 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    ccmc wrote: »
    I don't actually think she looks that bad, ...

she always looks like it's Halloween :eek:
  • eggysueeggysue Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    It is a shame there is no footage of Liz giving her speech, I am sure she did that lovely sideways mouth slip thing when she was being 'amusing'. Her hair is too long, with no style, which is why she shoves it behind her ears, the classic awful Spaniel ears look. Maybe on her next surgery she could have them pinned back?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    I subscribe to the online newspaper ..in the letters page there's a debate section where they print comments on various topical subjects and a few days ago it featured comments on the Jones Moans column ending - 3 slating the column and glad it's finished only 1 small comment of support, Also today there is a piece about the debate and no mention of Liz being on the losing proposers side nor any sign of the un-airbrushed picture :rolleyes:
  • DylanCatDylanCat Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    greeneyes wrote: »
    I subscribe to the online newspaper ..in the letters page there's a debate section where they print comments on various topical subjects and a few days ago it featured comments on the Jones Moans column ending - 3 slating the column and glad it's finished only 1 small comment of support, Also today there is a piece about the debate and no mention of Liz being on the losing proposers side nor any sign of the un-airbrushed picture :rolleyes:

this article was in todays Scottish Daily Mail and Liz was'nt mentioned at all ...........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Bellagio, perhaps you could go to a clinic for a quick vasectomy, just in case? I mean, really, why take any chance of creating a half-Bellagio, half Liz Jones being??

That last photo, with the ghastly eyeliner . . . baby pink lips at her age are a bit much, I think. And the foundation . . . have you ever tried to plaster an uneven brick wall and make it completely smooth? You plaster and sand and look at it only to find you need more plaster and you need to sand it again. You look at it and the whole business starts up again until you've just HAD it and concluded that the wall is always going to look at little bit rough.
  • DeliriumTremensDeliriumTremens Posts: 2,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2093248/LIZ-JONES-Lovely-young-women-men-pink-cheeks-Katie-Price--me.html

I think this is why she wasn't mentioned in some of the other papers - she wanted to write her own article.
    Forum Member
    , , , and it's insane rubbish. They weren't against her because she's a journalist. They were against her because she made a "staggeringly sexist" speech and got booed for it. And exactly what academic qualifications has Liz got that would make her eligible even to apply to Oxbridge? She keeps referring to herself as bright, but where's the evidence?? But of course it's her parents' fault that she didn't apply (at a time when I believe funds were quite available to poorer students).

Her assumptions about women at university are mind-bogglingly sexist and, I think, just plain wrong. I've taught for 25 years, and at a highly competitive place like Cambridge women tend to have ambitions of their own. They may wish to marry at some point, but usually they're expecting marriage after they establish their own careers. A major university is not a big old dating agency for women looking for alpha males. The assumption is so sexist and ill informed that it truly is staggering.

That's the way Liz's oh so massive brain works: She fantasizes that Cambridge women are there to snag a man. This fantasy doesn't get tested; she doesn't interview a number of women students in order to learn if it's true. She just fantasizes it is, and to Liz, that makes it true. This kind of thinking isn't evidence of brains. It's evidence of a need to find a reason to despise women who are far more intelligent than she is and live in beautiful surroundings. It's wooly thinking. It's fantasy.

Of course her columns seem to be getting more and more infected with fantasies about things that never happened, confusion over things that may have happened to her, and contradictory stories. This isn't intelligence. It's sad. I keep wondering if some virus is slowly eating its way through her brain, leaving her more and more impaired and confused.
  • newbabynewbaby Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2093248/LIZ-JONES-Lovely-young-women-men-pink-cheeks-Katie-Price--me.html

I think this is why she wasn't mentioned in some of the other papers - she wanted to write her own article.

The final sentence ["Selfish, spoilt and full of a sense of entitlement."]: with a small amount of editing so it reads "super-selfish and an over-developed sense of entitlement", this seems to sum up Ms Jones. Pot. Kettle. Black.

The article is very chip-on-the-shoulder and shallow, full of smugness, arrogance, dismissiveness, jealousy: I'm not sure one can be all of that at once but that's how it reads. Really, perfectly horrid.

As to the Diary. Well, I still cry about the departure of my treasured labrador last summer, and miss her like fury, but I knew any other decision other than the one I had to take was irresponsible and hugely selfish. So you grit your teeth and make the decision, say goodbye and be thankful.

Goodness, Ms Jones is an awfully stupid woman. Which I guess has been established over and over and over and over again. (And could she not learn how to plumb in numbers/names on her mobile: even I, living in the backwaters of the countryside, have mastered that art) (no signal at home so it's all academic)

I felt very "spit, hiss" about the latest offerings from the laptop of an increasingly nonsensical journalist. Then I remembered that it's fiction, farcical and febrile.

But it doesn't half give fiction a bad name.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2093248/LIZ-JONES-Lovely-young-women-men-pink-cheeks-Katie-Price--me.html#ixzz1kqGnqbfQ
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    I could have gone to the debate, but opted that the travel costs weren't worth it. Apparently the place was heaving!

Why is she universally hated locally more than Rachel Johnson? Maybe because Ms Johnson doesn't call her neighbours names, berate them ad nauseum, and get all snooty about local shops not selling the latest trendy brand of coffee.

If she didn't write hatchet jobs about folks who work in restaurants whilst getting qualifications. If she once in a while kept her word, then she might, might be held in more regard than a page3 fame-chaser.

Oh and for telling Cantab girls that the reason they've gone there is to become overly qualified housewives/mistresses.. as IF!
  • Amused HarpyAmused Harpy Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    She lost the debate because, as usual, she was talking nonsense.

Once again she contradicted herself because she recently admitted she wanted to have a baby, not because she would have made a particularly good mother but because she wanted to have something to show for a relationship she had been in! She even admitted to sperm-stealing and implied this was the norm for women.

A few weeks ago she also said she wanted to get married and have a man to pay for things for her, whereas she used to maintain she always wanted to pay her own way and hinted that no man was good enough for her.

I think she just likes to hear the sound of her own voice, no matter what drivel she spouts.
  • teacup333teacup333 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    I can't believe how Jones gets paid to write this tripe. From her own account, she went to a good secondary school - it was her own decision to take her A levels at sixth-form college and then go to journalism school. All this 'bottom of the heap' stuff won't wash either- several of her siblings have gone on to have 'professional' careers - why should she be any different?

Her constant harping on about maternity leave borders on the insane - I suppose she thinks that, in the Industrial Revolution, women working down coal mines almost as soon as they had given birth was A Good Thing :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I thought the article on the debate was pretty offensive. I'm not that much younger than Jones, and went to Cambridge at post grad level on a grant - there is no way my parents would have afforded it otherwise. I worked extremely hard and because I was already in a relationship, with someone who was not wealthy, finding a 'rich husband' didn't cross my mind. As if this is the only reason anyone goes to uni! The whole article reeks of entitlement and bitterness and there's no need for either.

And as a Somerset resident, I'm pretty hacked off by her comments about the region - this is why people prefer Johnson, of course. I'm not quite sure why the equation between 'slagging off your neighbours' and 'no-one wants to be my friend' should be quite so difficult, but I'm not a clinical narcissist.....
  • DylanCatDylanCat Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    ccmc wrote: »
    Bellagio, perhaps you could go to a clinic for a quick vasectomy, just in case? I mean, really, why take any chance of creating a half-Bellagio, half Liz Jones being??

That last photo, with the ghastly eyeliner . . . baby pink lips at her age are a bit much, I think. And the foundation . . . have you ever tried to plaster an uneven brick wall and make it completely smooth? You plaster and sand and look at it only to find you need more plaster and you need to sand it again. You look at it and the whole business starts up again until you've just HAD it and concluded that the wall is always going to look at little bit rough.

I cannot understand how, when presumably she has access to 'beauty' journalists, she persists in making up like an aging trollop. Maybe she has got on the wrong side of someone who has said 'you know Liz, panstick,frosted lipstick and using marker pen for eyeliner is such a great look, you look just fabulous'. Either that or she has a magic mirror.........
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My father, rest his soul, had a saying: "you can't tell someone something they don't want to hear". Jones doesn't need to listen to the little people - she knows she looks fabulous.
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LizW wrote: »
    I I'm not quite sure why the equation between 'slagging off your neighbours' and 'no-one wants to be my friend' should be quite so difficult, ...

She seems totally unable to recognise any connection between her own behaviour and her increasing unpopularity. Every time she does something horrible and makes people dislike her even more, she always manages to come up with another reason for the dislike, so she doesn't have to address the real reason. (In her mind, people despise her because she's wealthy/wears nice clothes/works in fashion/has a big house/spoke out about skinny models. No it isn't Liz. It's because you shout at receptionists, and brush your hair while driving to annoy male motorists, and betray your friends' and families' secrets and flaunt your plans to carry on with a married man, and brag about stealing sperm, and insult both women and men with sweeping offensive generalisations.....and then repeatedly use your sick animals to keep criticism at bay because hey, how can anyone possibly criticise you when your cats and horses are suffering?)

We all knew she'd throw a truckload of suffering animals into the mix to try and undo the damage caused by the "I'm off to book a "shag palace" for me and the married man" column....but does this tactic actually work? Does anyone read her Diary and think "Aww, more sick animals, suddenly she's forgiven for everything?"

Interestingly, there was a full-page article on the Cambridge debate in yesterday's Mail, but not a single mention of Liz being involved. How jaw-dropping must her performance have been if she didn't even merit a mention in the paper she writes for?
  • vampyrevampyre Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My father, rest his soul, had a saying: "you can't tell someone something they don't want to hear". Jones doesn't need to listen to the little people - she knows she looks fabulous.

Thereby demolishing the ow self esteem issues.
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    Interestingly, there was a full-page article on the Cambridge debate in yesterday's Mail, but not a single mention of Liz being involved. How jaw-dropping must her performance have been if she didn't even merit a mention in the paper she writes for?

According to a reporter writing in a Cambridge Varsity paper, she was "staggeringly sexist".

The Varsity
  • Paula PanzerPaula Panzer Posts: 297
    Forum Member

Just as she knows she speaks for all women when she says all we want is to net a wealthy man and waste a good education. And all women are potential sperm stealers - which is on a par with all men are rapists.
  • aligailaligail Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    According to a reporter writing in a Cambridge Varsity paper, she was "staggeringly sexist".

The Varsity

I tried to leave a comment on the mail article quoting this report - but it didn't get past the mods !
  • astorastor Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ouch - Ms Jones has lost out to Katie Price !

And that says what about young women today !

She might be as mad as a brush, but frankly , do you really want young women today to aspire to be page three girls, footballers hangers on, daft twits on TOWIE, or what ?
    Forum Member
    How to become the biggest laughingstock in Britain: some tips. You have an advantage if you a journalist with a major national newspaper and publicize any of the items below.

Things you might try:

--Lose a debate sponsored by the Cambridge University Union. With Katie Price. Don't notice that no one in Britain seems willing to come to your defense or say you should have won. That in itself ought to do it, frankly.

--Despite your contempt for mothers, explain in print why you wanted to become pregnant and go into repulsive details of your hopeless quest for motherhood. A lack of periods would persuade most women that they don't have any ripe follicles going. You're not most women, and you don't have most women's knowledge of their own biology and that whole birds and bees thing. Actually, just this top two should do the job if publicized enough.

--announce you're a feminist. Then, as often as possible, slag off women.

--slag off children. Always a popular point of view. Join the grumpy old geezer brigade!

--give your narcissistic personality disorder free rein. It's all about you!

--"Save" lots of animals you can't afford to keep; complain endlessly about how much work they create (for your wrangler); when one is terminally ill, regard it as fate's blow against YOU, not part of the normal life cycle of a pet, and keep her alive and in pain because YOU need her because you can't get along without her. Most people have to cope with grieving for their pets; not you--you need her to be alive, dammit! It's all about you!

--Make up pretty pathetic fantasies about a rock star and write it up as though it were true. When you get called on it--repeatedly--just ignore it; after all, you have an adoring public.

--Be bitterness personified when speaking of your husband's (perhaps understandable) adultery. But be a giggling girl when considering committing adultery yourself with various men. Make up "girlfriends" who egg you on. If you happen to be in your fifties, it may be difficult to pull this off, since most women around the age your friends would be--in their 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s--have seen adultery destroy their own or others' lives and don't think it's the stuff of giggles. In fact, they might very well rip into you.

--Be proud of your ability to lash out at people who can't lash out in return because they're store clerks, bank employees, and so on. You're standing up for the masses who could lash out perfectly well themselves if they really felt it was a good idea or at all appealing, but don't! Stand proud!

--Slag off your neighbours, the witless bumpkins

--Slag off your neighbours'

--Brag about your possessions

--Buy an expensive house in the country that you've visited and loved enough to want to move into. When it is yours, move in, only to discover that it is a horrible hovel that should make your public pity you. Also forget to do things like bring furniture, so you have to sleep on the floor. Get an amazing vanishing fridge.

--Explain that your animals bark non-stop, pee, and chew up the furniture. People will have great sympathy, rather than thinking you are the last person who should be in charge of a whack of bea

--Loudly explain how helpful it would be if your aging mother would just die, already!

--Assume that if you are criticized it is because others are jealous of your style and brains and ability to attract (imaginary) lovers. It has nothing to do with any of the factors above.

--Persistently advise middle Britain to spent hundreds of pounds on stilettos and wear clothing completely unsuited to the season

--Be a vegan. Then gush about buttery soft leather products. Don't notice the disjunction and illogic.

--Go about repeating that you are "bright" and "intelligent" while doing any of the above, and pay no attention to the people who react with raised eyebrows, hoots of laughter, or anything in between. Other people? There are other people in the world? Well, if there are, they don't count.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    astor wrote: »
    Ouch - Ms Jones has lost out to Katie Price !

And that says what about young women today !

She might be as mad as a brush, but frankly , do you really want young women today to aspire to be page three girls, footballers hangers on, daft twits on TOWIE, or what ?

Each team had three speakers - the team Katie was on won against the team Liz was on.

The vote is on the quality of the arguements.

And the - small - audience is made up of both men and women. While it is open to the public, it will be mostly from Cambridge. So very few of the women there will 'aspire to be page three girls, footballers hangers on, daft twits on TOWIE'

So it doesn't really say much about 'young women today' at all.

At most, it says KP has better debating skills than Liz or did less to alienate the audience.
    Forum Member
    Losing out to Katie Price suggests that, even in comparing the two, young women and men--they were there too--think that Liz Jones is, well, a loser.

There are a number of reasons they might feel that way, but a "staggeringly sexist" speech about how women at Cambridge all want to snag men, how women at work spend all their time gossiping, how women are effectively all inferior to Liz Jones . . . well, perhaps she lost because she insulted her listeners and Katie, feeble though she seems to have been, didn't, but was self-deprecating and offered a more positive message about women? Perhaps her audience thought that insulting them was such a boneheaded idea that even flippin' Katie Price has more brains and social savvy than Liz does?

They probably don't think much of Katie and those two pals of hers on her chest, but she had more common sense than Liz that night, apparently.
This discussion has been closed.