Cuba Missile Crisis Began 50 Years Ago This Week

HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you remember the Cuba Missile Crisis? I cannot say that I do as I was very young at the time. However I do remember the fear that gripped the people. It was a fear I have never experienced since. People really did believe that the end of the World was nigh.

There is a story about the headmaster of the secondary school that I eventually attended. He brought in a tranny radio to tune into Armageddon at midday.

Here is a summary of the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Are there any programmes on the media to mark such an important anniversary

Here is the Wiki account of the crisis

Comments

• LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    No, as I wasn't born but wasn't it between the Soviets and the USA? They were at each other's throats throughout the 60s weren't they?
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    No, as I wasn't born but wasn't it between the Soviets and the USA? They were at each other's throats throughout the 60s weren't they?

Yes but it very nearly came to blows during the Cuban Missile Crisis. The missilles were all ready to be exchanged (ok they are right now too) but there was a flash point. As I understand it Russian ships were approaching Cuba and America said they would sink the first one that entered the Quarantine zone.
    Forum Member
    Yes but it very nearly came to blows during the Cuban Missile Crisis. The missilles were all ready to be exchanged (ok they are right now too) but there was a flash point. As I understand it Russian ships were approaching Cuba and America said they would sink the first one that entered the Quarantine zone.

What was the fight about? Owning Cuba?
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you see this?

I'm not sure the planet could have dealt with a second one... at least not without a lot of heavy drinking

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19903150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was the fight about? Owning Cuba?

Russia had secretly based nuclear missiles in Cuba. This was uncomfortable close to the USA for American linking.

On the other hand if Russia were to dismantle them would mean a loss of face by Nikita Khrushchev

The American President was JFK
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the Bob Dylan song A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall was about the Cuban Missile Crisis, with the lyrics made up of other songs he thought he'd never finish (because we were all dead), but Wiki says otherwise. It was first performed a month before it all kicked off.....

according to the bbc (yesterday), there was a second secret crisis which carried on after.........

Cuban missile crisis: The other, secret one
    Forum Member
    Russia had secretly based nuclear missiles in Cuba. This was uncomfortable close to the USA for American linking.

On the other hand if Russia were to dismantle them would mean a loss of face by Nikita Khrushchev

The American President was JFK

Were Russia being deliberately provocative?
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    America moved nuclear missiles from Turkey, which was right next door to the Soviet Union - they both bottled it thankfully.
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well yes, Kruschev decided it would be a good 'wind up' to base missiles in Cuba with the kind permission of Castro, the ships carrying the missiles were quite a short distance from Cuba when Kruschev changed his mind, by which time it was assumed that Kennedy was preparing not only to attack the ships, but carry out a nuclear strike on Russia.
    Forum Member
    John146 wrote: »
    Well yes, Kruschev decided it would be a good 'wind up' to base missiles in Cuba with the kind permission of Castro, the ships carrying the missiles were quite a short distance from Cuba when Kruschev changed his mind, by which time it was assumed that Kennedy was preparing not only to attack the ships, but carry out a nuclear strike on Russia.

It's like a game of chess!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bugloss wrote: »
    I thought the Bob Dylan song A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall was about the Cuban Missile Crisis, with the lyrics made up of other songs he thought he'd never finish (because we were all dead), but Wiki says otherwise. It was first performed a month before it all kicked off.....

according to the bbc (yesterday), there was a second secret crisis which carried on after.........

Cuban missile crisis: The other, secret one

I like that BBC video. Rather good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well at that time the cold war was like a game of chess, with Russia, the USA and the UK all vying to place nuclear weapons where they could be deployed quickly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John146 wrote: »
    Well at that time the cold war was like a game of chess, with Russia, the USA and the UK all vying to place nuclear weapons where they could be deployed quickly.

It is amazing that one has to be over thirty years old now to remember the cold war.
  • SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member

But a rather deadly one.

Both my husband and I remember this only too well. We were in our teens, in boarding schools and we both thought we were going to die.
    I particularly was very far from my parents as they were posted abroad at the time in Singapore and to this day I have the letter my father wrote to me at the height of the crisis telling me that he and my mother loved me very much and that if they did not see me again to remember that.
    It was a truly horrible time!

I suppose every generation has its bogey bear - and for my generation it was the Atom Bomb.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is amazing that one has to be over thirty years old now to remember the cold war.

Seem to recall that Russia quite liked to use confrontation to try and get the USA and her allies to consider hostilities, why? I cannot understand, the USA and her allies were allied with Russia during WW2, then it all went pear shaped at the end of the war, but whenever the USA threatened to retaliate Russia almost always lost face and backed down.
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    50 years ago, eh? This was the closest we probably ever came to global nuclear armageddon.

You know how it is when two antagonists are fighting over something and neither wants to back down. Testosterone kick in, the situation became tense. Friends on both sides are urging for restraint but neither will listen. It was a bit like that.

Thankfully the Russians saw sense at the last minute and turned their ships around.

But it was far too close for comfort.
  • Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Depends.

At the time the USA was vastly superior at being able to deliver nuclear weapons to the USSR. The USSR obviously knew how strategically disadvantaged they were and the only way they could even out the imbalance was deploy MRBM's and the IRBM's to Cuba.

12 missiles in Turkey were really a smoke screen for a soviet climbdown.
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    America went so far as to commission a plan to shoot down a US passenger plane killing hundred of their citizens and blaming cuba to invoke a strike.The plan was called Operation Northwood.It's things like this that make me distrust our leaders entirely.
  • dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Dad was in the British Army at the time, based in Germany, He was put on standby, He still says now , People will never know just how close we came to ww3.
  • Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    America went so far as to commission a plan to shoot down a US passenger plane killing hundred of their citizens and blaming cuba to invoke a strike.The plan was called Operation Northwood.It's things like this that make me distrust our leaders entirely.

a) It was a 'plan'... Plans are continously drawn up and examined for viability.
    b) and no, reading through the released document in it's entirety - there is nothing about killing any US citizens or even anybody on US soil.
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    "Code named Operation Northwoods, the plan, which had the written approval of the Chairman and every member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, called for innocent people to be shot on American streets; for boats carrying refugees fleeing Cuba to be sunk on the high seas; for a wave of violent terrorism to be launched in Washington, D.C., Miami, and elsewhere. People would be framed for bombings they did not commit; planes would be hijacked. Using phony evidence, all of it would be blamed on Castro, thus giving Lemnitzer and his cabal the excuse, as well as the public and international backing, they needed to launch their war.|"

then try more research.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Code named Operation Northwoods, the plan, which had the written approval of the Chairman and every member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, called for innocent people to be shot on American streets; for boats carrying refugees fleeing Cuba to be sunk on the high seas; for a wave of violent terrorism to be launched in Washington, D.C., Miami, and elsewhere. People would be framed for bombings they did not commit; planes would be hijacked. Using phony evidence, all of it would be blamed on Castro, thus giving Lemnitzer and his cabal the excuse, as well as the public and international backing, they needed to launch their war.|"

then try more research.

i love cut and paste
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why bother? Why not just launch the strike?
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    It's strange because i remember the crisis, but have no memory of fear. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's strange because i remember the crisis, but have no memory of fear. :confused:

So being incinerated did not bother you?