Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

ITV ratings crisis. What is going wrong?

Old 19-10-2013, 10:14
yorksdave
Forum Member

It's back. The thread would have been far more relevant in the noughties, when ITV had the On Digital crisis and then a real lapse in taste on the main channel in the mid and late noughties, but ITV is fighting back. All the talk during the credit crunch of a channel closing and broadcasting hours being slashed came to nothing and ITV has managed to make a comeback with profits up and some decent rating shows.
If anything, Channel 4 is in crisis with last week's completely tasteless shows about sex and now the latest offering about a nightclub toilets.
I have to agree itv has improved a lot , still too many soaps, but some good drama offerings, back into comedy, albeit with mixed success, some decent documentaries, daytime needs to improve, but if I was giving an end of term report I would give them a solid 7 out of 10. Channel 4 has continued to decline over the past 2 years, and just seems to have lost its way, if it continues it will be passed in a few years by channel 5, daytime far too reliant on aged game shows, evenings too dependent on purile "factual" programmes, 5/10
yorksdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-10-2013, 10:24
Glenn A
Forum Member

I have to agree itv has improved a lot , still too many soaps, but some good drama offerings, back into comedy, albeit with mixed success, some decent documentaries, daytime needs to improve, but if I was giving an end of term report I would give them a solid 7 out of 10. Channel 4 has continued to decline over the past 2 years, and just seems to have lost its way, if it continues it will be passed in a few years by channel 5, daytime far too reliant on aged game shows, evenings too dependent on purile "factual" programmes, 5/10
I joined DS about 4 years ago, when ITV had been through the decade from hell and they were still showing junk like Hell's Kitchen. Now most of the celebreality has gone, their entertainment( while still sometimes dire) is far better than even two years ago, they knock out a few good dramas and some of the factual is excellent. I'd say average, but getting better, and they now have a regular set of hits. Also of the minor channels, shouldn't ITV 4 be praised for showing growing sports like cycling and tennis instead of just football.
Channel 4, meanwhile, as you say is over reliant on past it game shows, not to forget Come Dine With Me, which never seems to be off, and a soap that makes Neighbours look class. Also the Campaign for Real Sex documentaries are extremely tasteless and not rating well.
Glenn A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 10:31
Rijowhite
Forum Member

All channels seem to go through bad cycles these days, ITV had it's blip in the Noughties. It's Channel 4's turn now but I'm sure it'll come back...in some way.
Rijowhite is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote