Do you trust your media on a hard drive?

FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
Do you trust the movies you pay for to download on your hard drive?

The reason I ask is I was reading some horror stories about hard drive failures.. how common is that and is there any data recovery methods available?

Comments

• ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pay?:confused:
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not me.
    I bought a 3tb hard drive filed up 2tb then it crashed and would not be recognized.
    Had to then reformat but since then has been OK touch wood.
    Though also now have got a blu ray burner so going to back up the really large 1080p files on Blu-ray BD-RE then if I really like the film I will buy the official disc if its under say £10.
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A network drive, with 2 x drives in mirror.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fluffed wrote: »
    A network drive, with 2 x drives in mirror.

You mean RAID 1 or just make multiple copies?
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RAID 1, easy with an off the shelf 2 bay NAS. If you were super paranoid, you could attach a USB drive for backups as well in most cases.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Apparently Sky are going to offer a new service to buy movies. Not only do you get to download the movie to your Sky box (hard drive) but if it fails or you upgrade the box then you can redownload the movie as it's listed in your bought movies in your account and they're also going to send you the DVD of the movie, although many have been wondering why there isn't a BluRay option.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    fluffed wrote: »
    RAID 1, easy with an off the shelf 2 bay NAS. If you were super paranoid, you could attach a USB drive for backups as well in most cases.

I was just watching 'The Gadget Show' and they said RAID copies everything in such a way that if one HD goes down then everything is still backed up to another drive.

I was wondering how it does that. Does it automatically make a copy on another drive or some sort of encryption that can made a copy from scratch?