Options

Official Formula 1 Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,701
    Forum Member
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    It's no longer local broadcasters producing the feeds, it's totally FOM's fault. They produce the coverage for all the races apart from Monaco

I didn't know that, however if that's the case were they trying to hack the viewer off by not showing the lead cars.

I've known them show Seb Vettel leading a race by half a minute and seeing him lap by lap by lap in isolation.

FOM are not doing themselves any favours.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Stunty wrote: »
    I didn't know that, however if that's the case were they trying to hack the viewer off by not showing the lead cars.

I've known them show Seb Vettel leading a race by half a minute and seeing him lap by lap by lap in isolation.

FOM are not doing themselves any favours.

So it seems that they just follow Vettel no matter what is happening in the race or where he is. If he is boringly leading the race, then that is all we see and if he is in the middle, then that is all we see.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    good race but awful TV coverage

those mercs have this in the bag. 2 secs a lap after the restart

could do a mclaren 88?
  • Options
    BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ferrari are a mess. They look like they did in the early and mid 90s, with their design team not having any clue what they're doing.

Red Bull, Williams and FI are all ahead of them. May I add what a sterling job FI have done this season so far.

I might add, Ferrari spent the 80's in that sort if disarray as well. Always up there, but not quite good enough. So when the dominated F1 for a few years, it seemed very unnatural to me. Now order is restored :p

And wouldn't you credit it...I missed the race because I was travelling back home after visiting friends thinking "it's ok, Merc will just cruise it and won't let them race". I had to stop to go to the toilet, and while sitting on the porcelain throne, check the auto sport live feed on my phone; that had to be the most thrilling crap that I have ever had!

Must have been some race to watch.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Interesting race.

No two ways about it; that was a kick up the arse for Rosberg to be beaten by Hamilton on the slower tyre.

Maldonado proving, once again, that he's a complete numpty and, somehow, only getting a five place grid penalty for his muppetry while Ricciardo got a ten place penalty for a dodgy pitstop.
    Not sure that's sending quite the correct message.
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maldanado also had a run in with JEV at the start, the latter was not happy with him *at all* on the radio.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,062
    Forum Member
    Worth watching the highlights then?
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    Worth watching the highlights then?

For sure.

The race was a little disjointed, IMO, with an awful lot of passes due to differing strategies and the TV coverage wasn't brilliant so the BBC highlights show might actually make for more cohesive viewing than the race, itself.
  • Options
    Cassie..Cassie.. Posts: 3,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a race! My hearts still recovering from the last ten laps. Great job Lewis :D
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cassie.. wrote: »
    What a race! My hearts still recovering from the last ten laps. Great job Lewis :D

Me too shame we had to watch him win via a countdown timer rather than on camera.. :( what the hell were FOM on ? :confused:
    appalling.....before they have switched to winner who has no competitors and left an exciting fight for 2nd etc.....yes there was stuff there too but we could have been replayed them....the time they do have a fight at p1 they leave it.....atrocious... >:(
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fantastic last 10 laps by Lewis. On hard tyres I don't know how he held off Rosberg who should have been much quicker. Seemed pretty fair aswell, no weaving on the straight. Rosberg thought Lewis cut him up at one point but it seemed OK to me.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant race showing that F1 2014 can be exciting. Lots of wheel to wheel racing and over-taking outside of the DRS zones. LH & NR showing that having a team dominating doesn't mean it will be boring. Really enjoyed Ricciardo sticking it to Vettel as well. I would love to know if Vettel really had any issues (did his DRS fault really cost him) or was he just beaten fair and square? Are we seeing at last that without team orders to protect him Vettel is vulnerable to his team-mate? One thing is for sure, the RB is probably the best chassis on the grid, just woefully under-powered and that isn't going to change this season. I expect the RB to pick up a couple of wins on the technical circuits (Barcelona might suit them very well) but over the length of the season they're going to struggle.

Chuffed for Perez, especially as I picked him for 3rd!
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I never an exciting well worth watching race with some great driving up front and down the field and a great win for Hamilton and thankfully Merc allowed their drivers to really race each other. Hopefully this is the sign of things to come and not just down to the track, if so all they need now is to sort out the sound those engines make.
  • Options
    dee_effdee_eff Posts: 241
    Forum Member

Yesterday reminded me a bit of Schumie and Mansell at Monaco in '92 where Mansell on new tyres couldn't pass Schumacher and provided a classic end to the race proving, like yesterday, that it isn't the number of passes that counts but the fight.
  • Options
    ubermanuberman Posts: 2,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope this doesn't give Bernie Eccleston an idea to bring out the safety car with ten laps remaining at every race, or just for the last race of the season! :p:p
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee_eff wrote: »
    Yesterday reminded me a bit of Schumie and Mansell at Monaco in '92 where Mansell on new tyres couldn't pass Schumacher and provided a classic end to the race proving, like yesterday, that it isn't the number of passes that counts but the fight.

Wasn't it Senna? Hardly the same anyway. You could be 3 seconds a lap slowerat Monaco and keep a car behind you (pretty much the situation Senna found himself in). Yesterday's last 10 laps, in a VERY small way, reminded me a little of Villeneuve's heroics at Jarama in 81, somehow staying ahead a train of much quicker cars for many laps in a car that handled like a lorry.

Unfortunately I don't share the optimism others have for a good season of racing, not at the front anyway. like someone else said, it's 88 all over again, or maybe even more so with a Merc whitewash of wins.
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should be interesting to see who gets 3rd place should the Mercs run away.

Would be good to see Williams or Force India there.
    Bottom AKA Bottas will no doubt. :D
    Perez could do it though. He's got just as good a car as Bottas I think.

I'm still keeping my eye on Magnusson. I find it difficult to see his performance at Albert Park as a fluke. Although, I may change my mind if he is still finishing in tenth place, or so, by Monté Carlo.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    lordloz wrote: »
    Me too shame we had to watch him win via a countdown timer rather than on camera(
    To be fair, we had already seen that when the gap went out to over half a second that Rosberg was not able to challenge to make a pass so sticking with the other, closer battle for the last two laps was not such a bad call as some are making out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems that Mercedes is the best team (by far) . The problem in my humble opinion is that this car is more than 1 second faster than others, and that in F1 is a world.
    Last season was RB with a car more than 2 seconds faster, and all of us remember how boring it was. It's true that this is only the beggining of the season, but with such a difference, this season might be as boring as last.
    And it's a pity, because if we look at the cars behind Mercedes, we can see several very good fights: FI, Williams, McLaren, Ferrari >:( and RB.
    On the other hand, now we'll see the real level of Vettel with a not dominant car. However, he already has 4 championships in his pocket.

I think that was because all the resources were given to Vettel, leaving Webber to pick up the scraps. Mercedes seem to be treating Hamilton and Rosberg as equal competitors. Just look at how they were allowed to properly race at the weekend. Webber was never allowed to be that close, to be able to race Vettel; neither by the team nor by Vettel.
  • Options
    dee_effdee_eff Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    culttvfan wrote: »
    Wasn't it Senna?

Its not often I'm right, but I was wrong again this time. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bet the BBC are kicking themselves that they didn't have this one live.

I think there will be more to come the further we go along the season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D:D

It was terrible. The production/director should be sacked. Totally spoilt it for me.

If they never go back to Bahrain, it will be too soon!!

It's not like the old days when the local television stations would have full production and directorial control. It is now all FOM produced. It is the same people at every circuit doing the producing and directing.

I guess it is determined by whatever sponsor pays Bernie the most amount of money for the most coverage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cant say i like these celebrity interviews at the end

Benedict Cumberbatch did quite well I thought; at least it appeared he had watched the race and had a basic knowledge of Formula One. But Brian Johnson, I really have no idea what he was doing there.

But, the alternative is having more obscure racing drivers do the podium interviews; they can't keep having Niki Lauda, Jackie Stewart, David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan doing the them. They will have to start using executives and pit crew, when they run out.

If that blithering idiot Clarkson turns up though, I shall probably kick my television set to death. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnson: Thanks very much .... well done son. :o:o

He'll round it off with a rendition of 'Whole lotta Rosie'!!

Sorry to be pedantic, but Johnson didn't join the band until about 1980, "Whole lotta Rosie" was released in the mid-to-late-seventies. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Interesting race.

No two ways about it; that was a kick up the arse for Rosberg to be beaten by Hamilton on the slower tyre.

Maldonado proving, once again, that he's a complete numpty and, somehow, only getting a five place grid penalty for his muppetry while Ricciardo got a ten place penalty for a dodgy pitstop.
    Not sure that's sending quite the correct message.

He has also got three points on his licence.

As much as I agreed with the FIA's decision regarding Red Bull's breaking of the rules, I do think that the punishment he got for his release in Malyaisa to be rather harsh. There was no "unsafe" release, as I saw it; the pit lane was empty.