Underrated Actors/Actresses

124»

Comments

• _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know she's been nominated for 2 oscars and is likely to win one this year, I think Viola Davis is underrated. I think this because she's possibly the best actress of today, yet gets no way near enough recognition for he talent, lots of people my age have never even heard of her! Her performances in Doubt and The Help are amongst the best I've ever seen!
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonny Lee Miller - for some reason he never took off but is always decent. recetly saw him in the latest season of Dexter and he was very solid, took me a minite to realise it was him as his american accent was so good.
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Without a doubt Kristen Stewart.

Underrated simply because of the Twilight series to be quite frank and because of that some people seem to get it into their head that she's just some 'teen actress' or some nonsense.

You only need to go and watch The Runaways and Welcome To The Rileys to see how outstanding she can be.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fifilapew wrote: »
    Tom Hardy. Amazing because despite being criminally hot, i've never fancied him in any of his films, he becomes the protagonists he plays. Bronson, the Take, Stuart A life Backwards, brilliant actor!

I agree with most of this (I wouldn't call him criminally hot being a heterosexual male :p) but he is an outstanding actor. I saw him in "Warrior" and he was absolutely incredible. Hopefully being cast as Bane in the new Batman movie will see him more in the public eye.

Also, I'd say Joseph Gordon-Levitt is kinda underrated. Granted, I've only seen him in 50/50, but he was immense.
  • JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Googie Withers. Shelley Winters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    I would add Zac Efron to the list. I enjoyed his performance's in Miracle Run and Charlie St Cloud.
  • starwarsfanstarwarsfan Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Tom Hardy
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt
    Nick Nolte
  • chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    Vincent Cassel and Monica Bellucci.....love most of their stuff
    Amber Heard
    Naoimi watts and Nicole kidman......not as celebrated as they should be
    Eric Bana
    Déborah François

and most of all

Tom Cruise

I think the whole Scientology thing has affected how people see him as an actor now and wont give or his movies a chance.Also,i think she should have won an oscar by now.The guy has been making amazing movies for decades and is very commited to his roles,in most cases doing his own stunts.Thats pretty rare.

Off the top of my head,films hes done that ive loved........mission impossible franchise/interview with the vampire/risky business/collateral/valkarye/tropic thunder/vanilla sky/the colour of money/the last samurai/magnolia/jerry maguire/the firm/eyes wide shut(very underrated)/taps/rainman/born on the fourth of july...and kinda liked war of the worlds.

Thats an amazing body of work for one actor.and im prob forgetting some.oh i forgot...cocktail:D
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Scottish actor/director Peter Mullan.

His portrayal of a recovering alcoholic in "My Name Is Joe" could be a masterclass for all young aspiring actors.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Tim Roth

Ray liotta
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Julianne Moore is one of my all time favourites, but i may be biased, she is 14 years older than me but she is hot, hot, hot!
  • j'aimelatelej'aimelatele Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aidan Quinn
    Wish we could see more of him...

and agreed on Toni Collette I think she's a great actress doing comedy and drama as well as.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben Foster - intense method actor - very good in 3.10 to Yuma (the remake with Christian Bale).

Bruce Greenwood - great actor that has a lot of presence and gravitas. Superb in David Twohy's 'Below' and good in smaller parts like the Star Trek remake

JK Simmons - hilarious in Burn After Reading
    Nicky Chinlund - character actor who has a good look and a great voice
    Talking of Burn After Reading. This guy as well . Others I would say are

Julianne Moore

Tom Hardy

Tom Wilkinson

Michael Fassbender
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Seen a few films with Tom Hollander recently and I think he fits the bill. I can't see the majority of people known who he is or films that he's been in.

I first same him in the mini series Cambridge Spies. He's done many different roles since then.
  • DubDubDubDub Posts: 2,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not read the whole thread;
    so
    Julianne Moore
    Charlize Theron
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    For me it it has to be Gary Oldman-

He has been brilliant in all the films I have see him in (from Harry potter to the new batman films and leon etc) and although some people give him credit, he doesn't seem to get any attention from the major critics
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member