Options

Is there a BBC Jimmy Savile tribute?

crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Either tonight or in the next few days? Anyone know? Haven't seen a trailer for one yet but you lot may have. ;) Surely they'll do a review of his career?

Comments

• Options
    iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either tonight or in the next few days? Anyone know? Haven't seen a trailer for one yet but you lot may have. ;) Surely they'll do a review of his career?

I certainly hope so Chris. The man was a true legend with an interesting history (to some people atleast) I was sorry to hear he'd died yesterday. It felt like the end of an era. I grew up watching a Jim'll Fix It on a Saturday night and even wrote in.

He did alot of good work for charity in his lifetime too.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BBC News Channel showed his last interview yesterday within an hour of his death. I can see them showing a JS TOTP2 Special, maybe a compilation episode of Jim'll Fix It.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will be, but his death might be "considered a bit inconvenient" at the moment because of all the "Top of the Pops" repeats going out at present on BBCB4.
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    Just wait until the truth comes out about him. Every thread about him got removed on DS. People are going to be so shocked.
  • Options
    iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Truth?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's hope they make a better job of the Jimmy Savile Tribute than they did with David Croft who produced some of the BBC's most popular series.

Re ''The Truth'': I don't know what it is but it's easy to malign people when they're dead isn't it ?
  • Options
    VericaciousVericacious Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Let's hope they make a better job of the Jimmy Savile Tribute than they did with David Croft who produced some of the BBC's most popular series.

There will be a long tribute programme/documentary about David Croft at Christmas- and, of course, his death is a good excuse for a raft of repeats.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    Just wait until the truth comes out about him. People are going to be so shocked.

Would you have the balls to tell us exactly what you mean by this comment?
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Hmm, Panorama special maybe...
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    Just wait until the truth comes out about him. Every thread about him got removed on DS. People are going to be so shocked.
    So the guy never married or had kids......big deal so what? :rolleyes:

Neither did Alan Freeman, arguably one of the greatest DJ's. Just because someone never marries and never has kids, doesn't make them 'shocking'.

That was the implication of the remarks on the removed thread.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im puzzled by the announcement on LBC when he died "A Police spokesman said their are no suspicious circumstances"? Why should their be when an 84 yr old man who had been ill dies?
    PS I think youll find it was his brother that had a murky past, hardly his fault, was it.?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Im puzzled by the announcement on LBC when he died "A Police spokesman said their are no suspicious circumstances"? Why should their be when an 84 yr old man who had been ill dies?
    PS I think youll find it was his brother that had a murky past, hardly his fault, was it.?

Fairly normal police procedure, particularly when the person is well-known, the BBC carried the same line. Bluntly it's to keep the press off their backs while the undertakers do their job.
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Our forums (lufc) were full of stuff about Jimmy Saville at the weekend , and the rumour mill was in full swing, loads of posts removed , and posters banned as well,
    there was one (which i am not going to repeat because it was so vile) if true, which i very miuch doubt it is then i hate to think what else may come out

As for the rumours would the BBC Really have let have a kids show watched by 20 million plus for 20 years on, if there was any truth whatsoever , ??

The Gary Glitter Jimmy savile show from the early 90s was removed from You tube at weekend as well, after the Girl on it (not sure of her name asked for it to be taken down) :eek:
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,714
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Well that's to be shown in December so it might be best to comment on it when it's been on ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that's to be shown in December so it might be best to comment on it when it's been on ;)

i think what ftv was referring to was the tribute that has been shown about David croft which was basically a night on BBC2 with classic episodes of Hi de Hi, Allo Allo and Dads Army.

i am sure there will be a Jimmy Savile Tribute, give them chance its only been 3 days ;)
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,714
    Forum Member
    i think what ftv was referring to was the tribute that has been shown about David croft which was basically a night on BBC2 with classic episodes of Hi de Hi, Allo Allo and Dads Army.
    Yes, I know. I was being a little sarcy; hence the smiley. However, DC will have had two tributes by Christmas ;)
    i am sure there will be a Jimmy Savile Tribute, give them chance its only been 3 days ;)
    Indeed. It's not like there's any hurry :p
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »

Really? What has his brother done?
  • Options
    zingzing Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? What has his brother done?

Bought an LP once apparently. Shocking. :eek:

http://www.anecdotalcity.com/web/record_johnsennet4.html
  • Options
    jarod74jarod74 Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    It was announced on Points of view earlier, that a tribute to Jimmy Saville will be shown This Friday (11/11/11) On BBC1. It is at 8.30-9.00 pm & Replaces "A question of sport"
  • Options
    sculptorsculptor Posts: 253
    Forum Member

Sir Jimmy Savile: As it Happened
    20:30 to 21:00 Friday 11th November on BBC 1

A special tribute to Sir Jimmy Savile, the eccentric DJ who hosted the legendary Top of the Pops and Jim'll Fix It. The film includes classic footage of the man in action and interviews with close family and friends from the world of showbiz and his home city of Leeds, as well as representatives from the many charitable organisations for which he raised millions of pounds.
  • Options
    porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sculptor wrote: »
    Sir Jimmy Savile: As it Happened
    20:30 to 21:00 Friday 11th November on BBC 1

A special tribute to Sir Jimmy Savile, the eccentric DJ who hosted the legendary Top of the Pops and Jim'll Fix It. The film includes classic footage of the man in action and interviews with close family and friends from the world of showbiz and his home city of Leeds, as well as representatives from the many charitable organisations for which he raised millions of pounds.

I'm guessing they might repeat it over Xmas /New Year on BBC4 along with the new TOTP 1977 documentary to mark the start of the 1977 run of the show - or perhaps they might repeat it along with some of the earlier Xmas specials they've failed to show that were all on German tv
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also believe that the service from St. Anne's in Leeds is due to shown on Sky News. Other news permitting I guess.
  • Options
    corrie50corrie50 Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Does anybody know the title of the track played over the end credits of the Jimmy Savile tribute on Friday? Thanks :D
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Jimmy Savile - In His Own Words - Sunday 25th December 9.00-10.00pm
    In this intimate and revealing programme, Radio 2 gives iconic broadcaster Sir Jimmy Savile the last word on his remarkable life.

Using newly discovered - and mostly never heard before - archive of his final in-depth interview recorded in February 2011, plus other rare and forgotten interviews given by Sir Jimmy, this programme understands the man who by his own admission was "odd".

From reading telegrams to those who'd lost loved ones in the Second World War, his relationship with his mother ' The Duchess', his charity work and his life in the limelight - Sir Jimmy reflects on his life and even admits when asked about his own mortality, he's not going anywhere.

From the launch of Top Of The Pops, to Jim'll Fix It, plus his attitude towards fame and fortune, this is the life of Sir Jimmy Saville as seen and experienced by the man himself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seem to be a lot of ''newly discovered'' and ''last interviews'' turning up. He also appears on BBC2 tomorrow night in a tribute to BBC broadcasting from the north, presumably pegged to the closure of the Oxford Road studios in Manchester.His TOTP appearances were initially from the old BBC studios at Dickenson Road, alas now a housing estate.He also did work for Granada, Tyne Tees and BBC Leeds where Saville's Yorkshire Travels was the forerunner of Jim''ll Fix It.