EE 2G/3G/4G Discussion Thread

Comments

• davybhoydavybhoy Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redcoat wrote: »
    EE's 4G coverage in Northern Ireland has been improving from what I see - it's perhaps better than what their 3G was 18 months ago. :o

I did a speed test in what can be described as a very isolated part of Co. Tyrone back a couple of months ago, not a "double-speed" area...

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/745857156

It is very widespread now and I also noticed a little while ago that it was in Newtownards, albeit not all over the place. You any further info on where will be getting activated? I don't know why EE don't list everywhere. According to them we have 3 places with 4G where as about 50% of N.I. is covered on their coverage map...?
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    ozz wrote: »
    Got my TM Full Monty price plan reduced to £14.99 by ringing up and moaning about the RPI price increase :)

PS - Very little 4G expansion in and around Peterborough, seems to have gone very quiet....

Excellent!!

Yeah, gone quiet down here too. Newton Abbot went live (one mast as far as I can tell) a few weeks ago but nothing else.
    The Newton Abbot coverage still not showing on the map though.
    It would be something like this... https://www.dropbox.com/s/zc9sqyqasboufsi/NAcoverage.JPG
    Speeds good though, had 42 meg at one point!
    I have a feeling there's going to be a huge summer rural switch on in a minute!!
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Excellent!!

Yeah, gone quiet down here too. Newton Abbot went live (one mast as far as I can tell) a few weeks ago but nothing else.
    The Newton Abbot coverage still not showing on the map though.
    It would be something like this... https://www.dropbox.com/s/zc9sqyqasboufsi/NAcoverage.JPG
    Speeds good though, had 42 meg at one point!
    I have a feeling there's going to be a huge summer rural switch on in a minute!!

Looks like sadly you still have a few patches of 2G down there hopefully you aren't one of the areas where they are going leave 2G only masts on.

BTW Hope you been good.
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    Looks like sadly you still have a few patches of 2G down there hopefully you aren't one of the areas where they are going leave 2G only masts on.

BTW Hope you been good.

Yes, not bad thanks!
    Are there areas like this? I haven't been following stuff properly recently.
    There are 4 2G orange masts right around me here. Within a 6 mile radius at least.
    2 are on the railway line from Totnes to Plymouth so these will certainly go 3G/4G I would have thought. Other 2 are very rural.
    One is here between Totnes and Kingsbridge https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.381268,-3.706187,3a,75y,235.1h,88.45t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sOGbHQX3HYkHgggVW_z9-6g!2e0
    I have included this dropbox pic since it's really hard to make out. https://www.dropbox.com/s/m3v4rlvja62rxq3/Halwell_mast.JPG It's a legacy Ericsson Orange mast. About 20 Metres high. This one is EDGE.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Y'know I do wonder where and which masts these non-upgradeable 2G/3G legacy sites are.

There'll only be a few of them, less than 0.1%, but actually, that equates to about 18 masts. However, what area will those masts be covering? After all, about 60% of masts are in cities and urban areas, which comprise less than 10% of the UK by land, with 40% of masts covering the other 90%.

Put it another way, if you look at the mast density in the far northwest or the islands, 18 masts could equate to an area a quarter the size of Scotland.

On the other hand if urban microsites that have umbrella coverage from a larger macro is being left out, people will probably never even notice.
    Forum Member
    Ah, yes, I knew about the 18 or so.
    I don't think any of these down here will be in the 18.
    There would be some ridiculous holes in 3G/4G coverage if they were.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, not bad thanks!
    Are there areas like this? I haven't been following stuff properly recently.
    There are 4 2G orange masts right around me here. Within a 6 mile radius at least.
    2 are on the railway line from Totnes to Plymouth so these will certainly go 3G/4G I would have thought. Other 2 are very rural.
    One is here between Totnes and Kingsbridge https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.381268,-3.706187,3a,75y,235.1h,88.45t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sOGbHQX3HYkHgggVW_z9-6g!2e0
    I have included this dropbox pic since it's really hard to make out. https://www.dropbox.com/s/m3v4rlvja62rxq3/Halwell_mast.JPG It's a legacy Ericsson Orange mast. About 20 Metres high. This one is EDGE.

Wow that is hard make out lol. Yeah I know of a few Orange 2G only masts quite a few in Staffordshire and Cheshire still that I come across. Most are on major roads so imagine they will get upgraded.
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Y'know I do wonder where and which masts these non-upgradeable 2G/3G legacy sites are.

There'll only be a few of them, less than 0.1%, but actually, that equates to about 18 masts. However, what area will those masts be covering? After all, about 60% of masts are in cities and urban areas, which comprise less than 10% of the UK by land, with 40% of masts covering the other 90%.

Put it another way, if you look at the mast density in the far northwest or the islands, 18 masts could equate to an area a quarter the size of Scotland.

On the other hand if urban microsites that have umbrella coverage from a larger macro is being left out, people will probably never even notice.

Yeah plus I wonder how many of these legacy 2G masts are in areas where MIP masts will be in. Unless they are in areas where there isn't any other masts that should just get rid of the these really old masts.
    Ah, yes, I knew about the 18 or so.
    I don't think any of these down here will be in the 18.
    There would be some ridiculous holes in 3G/4G coverage if they were.

That is certainly true for a lot of places though I did wonder at one point if the areas where those 18 masts are going to be are going to eventually get 4G 800MHz.
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's due in Grantham in June apparently. That helps in creating a spine of 4G down the East Coast Mainline.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    It's more like 40-50 masts that won't get 4G.. However not all are
    'Undoable' just not in the timeframe being targeted.
  • ard100ard100 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    In my town on a office building about 5 months ago there is a orange/ee base station which is 2g/3g they replaced panel antennas 2 per sector 8 in total and microwave links and two cabinets but no 4g still from that site just 2g and 3g no speed gained just a slight drop in 3g signal since the panels where changed any ideas why they did all this work i can get 4g but not from that site,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ard100 wrote: »
    In my town on a office building about 5 months ago there is a orange/ee base station which is 2g/3g they replaced panel antennas 2 per sector 8 in total and microwave links and two cabinets but no 4g still from that site just 2g and 3g no speed gained just a slight drop in 3g signal since the panels where changed any ideas why they did all this work i can get 4g but not from that site,

Sounds more like Vodafone/O2

EE usually don't replace antennas and also only install one cabinet, not two.

Vodafone/O2 are the only networks installing two cabinets on 4G rollout. They are also the only network widely using two sets of antennas for 4G.
  • ard100ard100 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Vodafone are on that site as 2g only using two omni direction antennas there are no cornstone sites around here yet maybe mbnl site and three 800mhz?

Also don't AT800 have to go through the process of sending out postcards and 800mhz 4g tv filters before a cell can transmit on 800mhz in that area?

What I now find odd if i look at that orange bastion 1 mile away behind it in a strange line 1/2 a mile away is another orange cell then 1 mile behind that is a t-mobile & three cell so within 2miles of each other are three base stations and my other phones still shows them as T-mobile and Orange I can see all three of them and have line of site and all three have panel antennas pointing this way,

Sounds more like Vodafone/O2

EE usually don't replace antennas and also only install one cabinet, not two.

Vodafone/O2 are the only networks installing two cabinets on 4G rollout. They are also the only network widely using two sets of antennas for 4G.
  • Adam792Adam792 Posts: 7,146
    Forum Member
    I think the AT800 stuff is only needed in an area where people use a Freeview transmitter that broadcasts on the higher frequencies bordering the 800MHz band, which is only some of them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    I receive the same texts multiple times occasionly from friends on EE, how could this be?
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,661
    Forum Member
    Adam792 wrote: »
    I think the AT800 stuff is only needed in an area where people use a Freeview transmitter that broadcasts on the higher frequencies bordering the 800MHz band, which is only some of them.

We had the cards last September, and there are numerous masts around with 800mhz style antennas fitted and still no sign of V/O2 launching 4G here. (the coverage stops around between 5 to 15 miles east of here). However we do have pretty good EE4G, and expecting Three any day.

Over half the town gets TV from London/Crystal Palace transmitter, if not Sky/VirginMedia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    We had the cards last September, and there are numerous masts around with 800mhz style antennas fitted and still no sign of V/O2 launching 4G here. (the coverage stops around between 5 to 15 miles east of here). However we do have pretty good EE4G, and expecting Three any day.

Over half the town gets TV from London/Crystal Palace transmitter, if not Sky/VirginMedia.

Have the cabs been fitted too? I often see antennas getting upgraded several months before the actual cabs required for service go in...
    Forum Member
    Another map update!!
    Newton Abbot coverage now showing today.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,661
    Forum Member
    Have the cabs been fitted too? I often see antennas getting upgraded several months before the actual cabs required for service go in...

Ahh, most would be hidden from the road so that would make sense.

Had another at800 card today - "Reminder: 4G services at 800mhz are starting very soon in your area" - so I guess VF/O2 will switch on soon ;-)
  • davybhoydavybhoy Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see EE have stated that a town or city has to be 80% covered before they deem it as a live 4G area. Explains quite a bit about 4G being in places that aren't listed. Also said they are switching on hundreds of 4G masts a month! I didn't think it would have been as many as that!
  • ozzozz Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE are saying Rhyl is the 200th town to go live but I seem to remember coverage being available here since mid 2013?????
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    ozz wrote: »
    EE are saying Rhyl is the 200th town to go live but I seem to remember coverage being available here since mid 2013?????

Dat 80% though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll go the other direction, coverage check says I have excellent 2g & 3g coverage when in reality I have 2g coverage if I leave the phone in 1 spot in the house and I get 1 bar, no 3G coverage at all.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll go the other direction, coverage check says I have excellent 2g & 3g coverage when in reality I have 2g coverage if I leave the phone in 1 spot in the house and I get 1 bar, no 3G coverage at all.

That's why they have a "why the map isn't perfect" link right below which when you click it says:
    Points to Note

In areas where high quality outdoor coverage is indicated, it is usually possible to make and receive calls within buildings. However, this depends on the construction of the building and where you are in it. In some cases, use of your mobile phone will be impaired inside buildings (for example basements or lifts may have lower quality coverage). Coverage also depends on the device you are using. You'll need a 4G phone, SIM and plan as well as 4G coverage to use 4G.

Please also note that the service areas are based on computer prediction. Whilst we have tried to make this guide as accurate as possible, the information provided is not a guarantee of service availability. We have not tested every location within the areas shown as having coverage. So while the coverage footprint outlined on the maps is generally accurate, there may be specific areas shown as having coverage where your device will not work.

All products using radio technology, including television and car radios, can be affected by local physical conditions which may interfere with radio signals. As with other mobile phone services, coverage can be affected in tunnels, dips, cuttings, mountains and wooded areas.

Even in high quality service areas, additional sites might be planned to improve the level of in-building coverage in known problem areas. The coverage maps may also indicate these planned coverage expansions. We reserve the right to modify this schedule without notice, as required from time to time.
    Forum Member
    As soon as they get to 98% 4G they need to turn off 3G and re-farm the 2100 to 4G as well.
    3G is a bloody annoying technology coverage wise.
    That would drive the take-up of 4G nicely! Haha

Also they would have oodles of 4G spectrum therby allowing me to have that Huawei home (mobile) router and a nice 200GB per month for 50 quid!

Are you listening EE??
    :)

Note: Clearly this is what should happen but obviously won't!

EDIT: Imagine LTE-A aggregated 800, 1800, 2100 & 2600!!
    What's the limit on the number of frequencies for LTE-A?
  • spikejspikej Posts: 3,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick one.

I upgraded today from T-Mobile SIM only to a 24mth T-Mobile contract (250mins/txts/unlimited data inc tethering for £16.99 a month, winner) and they gave me a new replacement SIM for some reason. I've stuck it in the phone, and now my network name in the notification bar etc reads a combination of Orange T-Mobile or just T-Mobile - used to read EE all the time.

Anything to be worried about/I need to check on with EE?

Ta.
This discussion has been closed.