A Female Doctor: It Doesn't Matter (Matt Smith)

Comments

• Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Matt said the right thing in relation to the issue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Watched on video, the interview was a light hearted one. and Matt reacted like an intelligent professional. The Doctor Who fandom already has so many critics of the large minority which can't discuss anything without getting emotional - leading promptly to being abusive. Matt has always come across as someone who loves the character without being fanatical about it, or over-reacting - the perfect ambassador.

More Importantly, Matt is well aware that he has no actual say on his successor or their gender. He'd have to be a fool to say 'Never!!' when his word (like ours) means nothing. Far better to be charming and diplomatic (and he was both) and let the show-runner make those decisions and take the flack over ruining the show by changing everything OR the continued sexism/racisim. Whichever way it goes, someone will be OUTRAGED and demand that their objections are heard. Matt's been honest about being new to the character when he started, so as I said elsewhere, his opinion of the character is probably influenced by Moffat, anyway.

As for research, what's to research? Yes, the Doctor's always been a male, but he can also completely change his body. In 50 years, swapping between genders has never been discussed one way or the other (afaik) . Apart from 'In The Doctor's Wife' where it was made clear that in 21st century Who it's a possibility. I personally feel that it makes little sense that the Doctor would become a woman. Surely it's usually simpler species who swap to allow for a lack of the opposite gender? Lizards, maybe fish - I'm not aware that it's even been seen in mammals, so I sincerely doubt it'd be seen in such a complicated and advanced species as a Time Lord. Especially as there are no males - for Ms Doctor to reproduce with! However that's me trying to apply the little relevant science I know, as opposed to using marketing/ a desire to make a mark/ thinking it's about time/thinking it would be really cool, which will probably be more key in making the decision.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gretchen, stop trying to make a female Doctor happen. It ISN'T going to happen!

Sorry. :o
  • ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    If that what he really thinks (and I'm not sure it is), then he doesn't really understand the show.]

Matt's not my favourite Doctor and I don't fangirl/fanboy over him whatsoever, but his comments indicate that with his far broader mind and willingness to see the series diversify his approach, he understands the show far better than all the ignorant, prejudiced thickos who think a show about a shape-shifting alien is defined by the title character's penis.

It's not 1890. We can have woman Doctor's and I'm sure they are capable of doing every bit as spiffing a job as the male Doctor's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrimps wrote: »
    . Especially as there are no males - for Ms Doctor to reproduce with!

She could just invite lots of men into her TARDIS and have lots of wild sex with them whilst travelling through the time vortex. :D;)
  • madj40madj40 Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the unlikely hood of it ever happening, then theres only 1 candidate in my book, Amanda Mealing.(swoons) Just saying, now I shall depart for fear of being hung drawn and quatered..:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Shevk wrote: »
    ... he understands the show far better than all the ignorant, prejudiced thickos who think a show about a shape-shifting alien is defined by the title character's penis.

It's not 1890. We can have woman Doctor's and I'm sure they are capable of doing every bit as spiffing a job as the male Doctor's.

Yeah. And don't even get me started on this stupid blue British police box. There's another bunch of ignorant, prejudiced thickos who think the Doctor and his show are defined by a random form of his spaceship...

It's not 1863 and the William Hartnell era is long gone. Have you EVER seen a blue police box outside of the Doctor Who experience in Cardiff? And don't tell me there's that Earl's Court one - don't you know it was dragged there by a bunch of reactionary Doctor Who fans?

It's high time Moffat did something really creative with the chameleon circuit. Innovate!

And did I mention I've always wanted the Doctor to regenerate into a sexy Slitheen?
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The male Doctor's what? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah. And don't even get me started on this stupid blue British police box. There's another bunch of ignorant, prejudiced thickos who think the Doctor and his show are defined by a random form of his spaceship...

It's not 1863 and the William Hartnell era is long gone. Have you EVER seen a blue police box outside of the Doctor Who experience in Cardiff? And don't tell me there's that Earl's Court one - don't you know it was dragged there by a bunch of reactionary Doctor Who fans?

It's high time Moffat did something really creative with the chameleon circuit. Innovate!

Absolute crap analogy. The TARDIS exterior is a constant, the Doctor's exterior has always been changeable (well since 1966).

We see the outside of the TARDIS all the time; it is important. We have never seen the Doctor's penis; it is not important.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A male Doctor with a woman's name?

John Wayne was called Marion.:D
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolute crap analogy. The TARDIS exterior is a constant, the Doctor's exterior has always been changeable (well since 1966).

We see the outside of the TARDIS all the time; it is important. We have never seen the Doctor's penis; it is not important.

Changeable within certain parameters. He is always male. To which there is much more than merely having a penis. The arguments of people who think in such simplistic terms are completely opaque to me.
  • Qui Quae QuodQui Quae Quod Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Changeable within certain parameters. He is always male. To which there is much more than merely having a penis. The arguments of people who think in such simplistic terms are completely opaque to me.

This is going to sound like I'm on the wind-up, but I'm genuinely not. What more is there to being male than having a penis?
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok i get he can regenerate but his chromosones can't change. XY for males XX for females. I know he mentioned the corsair chamging gender in TDW. Plus 11 thought he was female briefly after his regeneration. Joke is getting a bit old now. Dr is a man and should allwaus be a man. Age or skin colour does'nt matter. Only criteria should be who is the best actor for the job.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't you think particles of energy are just a little smaller than chromosomes?

If the Doctor's body is transformed into a cloud of energetic particles and then re-formed what makes you think that the new body needs to have the same chromosomal configuration as before?

This does rather assume that a Gallifreyan body is made up from the same genetic building blocks as ours.

If we're not careful we'll end up with a female actor playing the character of the Doctor who's suffering from Gender dysphoria.

Come to think of it Julie Hesmondhalgh (Hayley Cropper from Corrie) will soon be free. She's already used to playing a woman who used to be a bloke...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    why are most people assuming he was forced into saying to not upset the apple cart? perhaps like me he does not think gender matters. the name is doctor that applies no gender biased so a female is easy to do that way and why is every one applying human biology to a time lord?
  • XuriXuri Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    I'm not against the idea but I have yet to hear an actual argument for it -- other than "why not?". It would be a big change and to claim it wouldn't is naive.

My own personal feeling is that so long as there is some actual reason for it I'm fine with it.
    Forum Member
    Xuri wrote: »
    I'm not against the idea but I have yet to hear an actual argument for it -- other than "why not?". It would be a big change and to claim it wouldn't is naive.

My own personal feeling is that so long as there is some actual reason for it I'm fine with it.

why does there need to be a good reason? and why would it be a big change? the doctor should not be looked at through a male or female it should be just about being the doctor a mysterious older than they look space traveller gender makes no difference
    Forum Member
    why does there need to be a good reason? and why would it be a big change? the doctor should not be looked at through a male or female it should be just about being the doctor a mysterious older than they look space traveller gender makes no difference

It makes no difference in Moffats world. It makes no difference as a fiction. It makes a difference in terms of audience perception, however. If you ask most people who the Doctor is, or to describe the doctor, they're more likely to say "man" than "alien". This whole gender swapping is a Moffat creation.

Like I said, I'm fine with it, so long as there is some sort of reason or explanation. Simply saying "Because" doesn't work for me. It doesn't explain why it hasn't happened before or why, given canon, Gallifrey appears to have somewhat "regular" gender identity and roles. This is why there needs to be a reason for it.

As for it not being a big change. I suspect most people would find it a rather large adjustment if they were to wake up tomorrow having magically changed gender. Sure, we're humans and the doctor is an alien. But most people will have some idea of who the doctor is in their head. It's not a brilliant idea to mess with that for no reason.
    Forum Member
    It makes no difference in Moffats world. It makes no difference as a fiction. It makes a difference in terms of audience perception, however. If you ask most people who the Doctor is, or to describe the doctor, they're more likely to say "man" than "alien". This whole gender swapping is a Moffat creation.

Like I said, I'm fine with it, so long as there is some sort of reason or explanation. Simply saying "Because" doesn't work for me. It doesn't explain why it hasn't happened before or why, given canon, Gallifrey appears to have somewhat "regular" gender identity and roles. This is why there needs to be a reason for it.

As for it not being a big change. I suspect most people would find it a rather large adjustment if they were to wake up tomorrow having magically changed gender. Sure, we're humans and the doctor is an alien. But most people will have some idea of who the doctor is in their head. It's not a brilliant idea to mess with that for no reason.
    it is not really moffat alone you know the book shada based off the 4th doctor adventure also mentions gender swapping and the doctors wife was not a moffat episode it was a gaimain episode
    i don't think gallifrey really has shown gender roles really as there chosen names are what defines them not there gender
    Forum Member
    it is not really moffat alone you know the book shada based off the 4th doctor adventure also mentions gender swapping and the doctors wife was not a moffat episode it was a gaimain episode

I haven't read any Who books.

I meant Moffat era more than specifically his writing.

I can see that you would be fine with the Doctor just regenerating in to a woman simply because. I'd like an actual reason. So we're just going to have to differ on that.

Edit:

I'd say "Grandfather" demonstrates an understanding of gender identity and roles.
    Forum Member
    I haven't read any Who books.

I meant Moffat era more than specifically his writing.

I can see that you would be fine with the Doctor just regenerating in to a woman simply because. I'd like an actual reason. So we're just going to have to differ on that.

Edit:

I'd say "Grandfather" demonstrates an understanding of gender identity and roles.

doesn't mean they then could not be grandmother as well
    and yes as along as this person can pull of the range of emotions required of the doctor i do not care the character for me is not male just the doctor i see no problems accuring with a woman flying the tardis. some people keep going on about sexulaity being a problem why does it need to be? i mean the doctor could easliy be a doctor that finds romantic things weird and stays away from from for every problem people allege there is for a woman doctor there is a solution.
    oh and thanks for debating nicely on another fourum for pointing the same points out people got a bit more angry
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    To be honest I'm starting to warm to the idea myself. Having seem the amount of racism, ageism, homophobia and a million other different prejudices that have been paraded around these forums of late I would want to associate myself with such bigoted, knuckle dragging neanderthals so bring it on I say!
    The male Doctor's what? :confused:

:D:D
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    There will be NO female Doctor - and that's it!! I'm not sexist - but the fact is the Doctor is male....he's a grandfather! He is a man - and that's how he'll remain!
    If he does become "Nurse Who" , I'll stop watching :D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    doesn't mean they then could not be grandmother as well
    and yes as along as this person can pull of the range of emotions required of the doctor i do not care the character for me is not male just the doctor i see no problems accuring with a woman flying the tardis. some people keep going on about sexulaity being a problem why does it need to be? i mean the doctor could easliy be a doctor that finds romantic things weird and stays away from from for every problem people allege there is for a woman doctor there is a solution.
    oh and thanks for debating nicely on another fourum for pointing the same points out people got a bit more angry

:D

I suppose they could be a grandmother also. I'm interested in the doctor becoming a women. I'd just like a coherent explanation for it. I would suspect, though of course this is purely opinion, that most people identify the Doctor as male. So in order to accept the change there would need to be some logical explanation -- perhaps something goes wrong with a regeneration for some reason.

I also agree that so long as whomever is cast can play the part well I'm not all that fussed. The same goes for sexuality and skin colour. I'd be fine with a black lesbian so long as the actor, and the writing, can pull it off.

I'd still like a workable explanation for the change within the context of the fiction though. I'm not a fan of "just because", I'm really not, it's akin to "God did it" as far as I'm concerned.
    Forum Member
    :D

I suppose they could be a grandmother also. I'm interested in the doctor becoming a women. I'd just like a coherent explanation for it. I would suspect, though of course this is purely opinion, that most people identify the Doctor as male. So in order to accept the change there would need to be some logical explanation -- perhaps something goes wrong with a regeneration for some reason.

I also agree that so long as whomever is cast can play the part well I'm not all that fussed. The same goes for sexuality and skin colour. I'd be fine with a black lesbian so long as the actor, and the writing, can pull it off.

I'd still like a workable explanation for the change within the context of the fiction though. I'm not a fan of "just because", I'm really not, it's akin to "God did it" as far as I'm concerned.

i do see your well put point but the problem is with a reason to be female wouldn't they then need another reason to be male again