Options

Question about boot up

Hi,

I am experiencing a (potential) problem on boot up of my PC. When I press the on button the fan starts up but sometimes the HD doesn't start and the boot up fails. It can take 3 or 4 attempts to boot up correctly, but once it is running there is no problem with the PC, the HD doesn't make any wierd noises and everything seems ok. I have run Western Digitals disk check utility and that doesn't come back with any problem.

I have also checked the integrity of the power connector to the HD as it seems as though the problem could be the power to the HD is not connecting somehow. Could it be a PSU problem? or maybe Bios related?

Thanks for any assistance

Comments

• Options
    Rob500Rob500 Posts: 3,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the HDD recognised in the BIOS?

What error messages are displayed?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a similar problem to this, and it turned out to be a dodgy 4pin connector feeding the hard disk. Try one of the others (if you have a spare one from your PSU) failing that take the 4pin power supply out of the CD/DVD drive and try booting with that one.

If that fails it could be a problem with the power socket on the hard disk.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a similar problem to this, and it turned out to be a dodgy 4pin connector feeding the hard disk. Try one of the others (if you have a spare one from your PSU) failing that take the 4pin power supply out of the CD/DVD drive and try booting with that one.

If that fails it could be a problem with the power socket on the hard disk.

I assume both yours were SATA then?
  • Options
    Rob500Rob500 Posts: 3,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume both yours were SATA then?

I think he means the power cable, I'm sure they're 4 pins ;)
  • Options
    rubble2rubble2 Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the suggestions, will give it a try this weekend
  • Options
    IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a similar problem with my old computer (that is still used regularly actually), sometimes on bootup, the computer would sit at the BIOS screen and beep a few times, upon going into the BIOS Setup, I found it hadn't found our secondary hard drive, usually on a restart, this would be resolved.

It normally happened every few days but strangely, we moved the computer to another room late last year and as far as I can remember, it hasn't had this problem since!!! :confused: