Snow Watch 2010/11 Season

Comments

• Alexis StardustAlexis Stardust Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bizzard here NW of Scotland and very cold...
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Heavy snow forecast for Cardiff in the early hours with light snow just before and all day after, can't see it though, there is a band of snow over the very west of Wales sort of heading south east towards Cardiff on the radars but it's breaking up and already loosing momentum, Maybe a bit of drizzle during the day and some proper snow over the weekend, the sky's currently still rather clear. We'll see in the morning I guess.

(Not getting my hopes up this week after several met office warnings amounting to nothing for us during last month's cold snap)

Now heavy again and heading on a more direct path towards Cardiff, but doubt it'll settle in time to keep anyone from work, maybe from getting back on time (though unless that band in the north of Wales hits us soon after, and I think it's more likely to move into England by then as it's moving more quickly west as it heads south than the nearest band, I think it's only likely to last two hours or so).
  • angel44angel44 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've had a light dusting here on North Merseyside within the last couple of hours. We pretty much dodged any hardcore snowfall during the recent [early December] cold snap, but it's looking more and more likely that we'll cop for something more substantial over the weekend.
  • toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    I know. Usually we escape very lightly, while eastern England and Scotland bare the brunt of it. Must be the gulf stream buffering us from the cold... not today though.... Gonna be fun tomorrow. Bout time we had some good snow fall instead of just that crappy icy slushy rubbish.

I hope I wake up to even more - or am I just being greedy now? :o:D

Looks like fun tomorrow....not sure how I'm getting to work but deadlines to be met and delivered = eek!
    Bizzard here NW of Scotland and very cold...

Hehe Bizzard! :D forgot the L Alexis lol
  • jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    SwanGirl wrote: »
    No snow in Swansea as yet, I am hoping it will stay like that as I have my Xmas Party tomorrow and I don't fancy doing any Torvill and Dean impressions.

Hi Swangirl I bet you have snow now, in port talbot we have a nice covering and still snowing heavy. good luck

Snow has finaly broken through "The Corus Steel Curtain":D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    here in Middle Earth it's been alternatively snowing and sleeting for quite some hours.

Unfortunately, at the moment, the snow is settling on grass and gardens but melting on the roads.

I'm hoping to get snowed in but it's not looking very likely at present.:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had another dusting this evening
    falling on top of ice,
    minor roads are like skating rinks
    Major roads are reasonably fine.
    Asolutley freezing
    here positivley Baltic:(

Just like here Radio. The road is just ice, even the dog is struggling:D
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now heavy again and heading on a more direct path towards Cardiff, but doubt it'll settle in time to keep anyone from work, maybe from getting back on time (though unless that band in the north of Wales hits us soon after, and I think it's more likely to move into England by then as it's moving more quickly west as it heads south than the nearest band, I think it's only likely to last two hours or so).

Saturday is supposed to be VERY bad for snow in South Wales looking at the forecast

Looking out of the window right now and the light stuff has arrived and it is settling somewhat

Scratch that, it is coming down somewhat heavier now
  • jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    richie4eva wrote: »
    Saturday is supposed to be VERY bad for snow in South Wales looking at the forecast

Looking out of the window right now and the light stuff has arrived and it is settling somewhat

Scratch that, it is coming down somewhat heavier now

Whereabouts in S Wales are you Rich ? roads are covered in Cwmavon , Port Talbot I have heard same as you for Saturday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I'm not mistaken there'll be snow in Portmeirion. Must be beautiful there when it snows.
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »
    Whereabouts in S Wales are you Rich ? roads are covered in Cwmavon , Port Talbot I have heard same as you for Saturday.

Barry Island

Coming down pretty hard now here, looks like it's going to be a nice covering if this keeps up until daybreak which it looks like it will as the sky is going a bright shade of orange
  • toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
    Forum Member
    Snowing heavily again in Belfast - windy too... I can hear it on my window - which is weird cos it's snow...but I can see it lying on my window too (skylight).....

Apparently met office will update the charts for Belfast in the morning - things looking to get worse...
  • LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not snowed in south east yet but it is VERY VERY cold :-O & also when i left for work at 4.14am this morning i noticed the rain from last night was FROZEN to my car this morning, took me 15 min:cry:s to clear the windscreen enough to b able to see anyhting :-O
  • LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not snowed in south east yet but it is VERY VERY cold :-O & also when i left for work at 4.14am this morning i noticed the rain from last night was FROZEN to my car this morning, took me 15 mins to clear the windscreen enough to b able to see anyhting :-O
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Aberystwyth at the moment and a layer of snow has settled on the ground and it's been snowing lightly on and off. I am meant to be going home today... me and my dad are giving each other hourly weather reports as he decides whether to risk coming to pick me up or not. My hometown has started snowing very heavily apparently, so my dad is staying put at the moment and I'm here with a half packed bag, deciding whether to carry on packing or not....:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Just got up for work and it's just stopped.Had a few inches in the night might struggle to get to work.I live in south wales if anyone is interested.
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Some parts of South Wales have had a right dumping in the last few hours - including Cardiff and Bridgend etc. Looks quite a lot on the traffic Wales cameras.....

Looks like plenty more to come too!

www.raintoday.co.uk
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anglesey has copped for quite a covering too.
    Forum Member
    Anglesey has copped for quite a covering too.

Yeah the showers have been there all night... plenty more to come through too!
  • SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swansea is now covered in snow and it continues to fall. It's Black Friday today so I have a feeling that the emergency services will be dealing with a huge amount of drunken revellers that have fallen and hurt themselves due to snow or ice. I hope I am not one of them!
    Forum Member
    Pleasant surprise in Cardiff, managed to get some kip at around 2:30am at which point the sky was starting to get a bit cloudy but not a flake had fallen and wake @ 5:30 to find 2 1/2 / 3 cm (though not much considering the stuff we've all had the last few winters but still), has stopped now though and doesn't look likely to start again for a few hours, there's another heavy band just over swansea but it appears to have all but stopped drifting east this past hour since moving south and now just seems to be heading further south slowly.
    Forum Member
    Said band appears to be growing a tad eastward in the last 20/25 minutes but as light snow rather than heavy, met office's forecast is for it to stay light and fall on and off till around 3/4 o'clock :(. More heavy snow in the early hours, hope it leaves a bit more than this did.
    Forum Member
    Strange, BBC's Weather seems to have been updated overnight and is provided by the met office, yet predicts several hours of heavy snow tomorrow morning and afternoon (9am-3/4pm), whilst the met office's own site, updated every few hours, so I assume overnight, predicts 3/4 hours during the early hours (3-6/7am) :confused:.
    Forum Member
    None of the models are agreeing on the snow risk tomorrow- some are just keeping it all down in the English Channel!
This discussion has been closed.