Comments

• Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    A Christmas barbie on the beach sounds terrible doesn't it :rolleyes:

I know where I'd rather be.

Ysee I dont get this.... because theres a flip side. Winter - with no Xmas.... months and months of cold, rainy, grim weather with no big celebration/party as relief. Must be a dullard!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where I come from, December is hot with temperatures around 28-34C.

When I was young, Christmas was a special time where family members would spend time together feasting and being merry. It would also be the time children will be given new clothes as presents. Christmas Day would start with Mass (my family is Catholic) at 9:00 am and I remember always feeling all excited and glamorous in my new clobber.

The rest of the day would be spent feasting on goat meat, pilau rice, special stews, chapattis, soft drinks, cakes and sweets that we normally not allowed to drink at times other than celebrations, mainly because they were expensive and also because my mother said there were not good for you. Meals were alfresco and buffet-style. We would listen to stories the grown ups would tell about the big city and far away places, play games with our cousins, brothers and sisters, eat and drink and almost always end up in bed with stomach aches but with big smiles on our faces.

Where was that? Sounds lovely :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    queenshaks wrote: »
    Where was that? Sounds lovely :)

Thank you, queenshaks, those were halcyon days. I was born in a small town in Kenya, called Eldoret.
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you, queenshaks, those were halcyon days. I was born in a small town in Kenya, called Eldoret.

I guessed it was in Africa but the chapatti threw me :)
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member

Ooo, I had a fantastic New Year's Eve in Kenya a while back. We stayed on the coast, an hour or so down from Mombasa. Your countrymen and women know how to party. :D
  • Options
    birdonawirebirdonawire Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I come from, December is hot with temperatures around 28-34C.

When I was young, Christmas was a special time where family members would spend time together feasting and being merry. It would also be the time children will be given new clothes as presents. Christmas Day would start with Mass (my family is Catholic) at 9:00 am and I remember always feeling all excited and glamorous in my new clobber.

The rest of the day would be spent feasting on goat meat, pilau rice, special stews, chapattis, soft drinks, cakes and sweets that we normally not allowed to drink at times other than celebrations, mainly because they were expensive and also because my mother said there were not good for you. Meals were alfresco and buffet-style. We would listen to stories the grown ups would tell about the big city and far away places, play games with our cousins, brothers and sisters, eat and drink and almost always end up in bed with stomach aches but with big smiles on our faces.

Oh where are you from? My daughter has been travelling in India, she is now going down to Goa for Christmas, I really can't wait for a skype on Christmas day (internet access allowing) really can't wait for her take on Christmas away from home.

Hope not to presumptuous, talk of pilau rice and chapattis made me think of India..
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never spent Christmas abroad as an adult. I am stuck in Florida at the moment due to the chaos at Heathrow and Gatwick so that may change this year!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    batgirl wrote: »
    Ooo, I had a fantastic New Year's Eve in Kenya a while back. We stayed on the coast, an hour or so down from Mombasa. Your countrymen and women know how to party. :D

We sure do, batgirl:D I love Mombasa - so much fun!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh where are you from? My daughter has been travelling in India, she is now going down to Goa for Christmas, I really can't wait for a skype on Christmas day (internet access allowing) really can't wait for her take on Christmas away from home.

Hope not to presumptuous, talk of pilau rice and chapattis made me think of India..

I am from Kenya. The connection is Kenyan-Asians - their food has been adopted by all and sundry and we all love eating chapattis and pilau rice.

I hope your daughter has a great time in India. My Goan friends are a lovely bunch.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never spent Christmas abroad as an adult. I am stuck in Florida at the moment due to the chaos at Heathrow and Gatwick so that may change this year!:)

If I was you I'd be crossing my fingers that the weather doesn't improve here. You'd certainly get a Christmas to remember and hopefully paid for by insurance or the airline.

Me, on the other hand, I'm praying for a thaw. I have a flight out of Heathrow on Wednesday
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I personally wouldn't want to be anywhere but in my own home for Christmas. :)
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    christmas is a time to welcome jesus into your life and if he's already apart a day to celebrate is birthday,

aww men
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    I don't really know about xmas, but i went to germany for NYE about 6 yrs ago, and loved it, originally went for just a few days but ended up being there for 3 months
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to Jamaica one year for Christmas.

Felt sooo weird sitting on the beach in hot sun!

It was nice to experience it, but I'd prefer to be at home.
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife and daughter are in my wife's village in the Phillipinnes. They start singing and dancing in the village at about 10pm Christmas Eve and don't go to bed until about 6am Xmas Day morning. Children included. They sleep all day then have a huge barbecue for the whole village in the evening, followed by karoke and dancing again. Lots of alcohol of course. They kill several pigs and chickens that have been bred in the village and barbecue those. No turkey.

They don't exchange Christmas cards there and not many presents either. Guess they can't afford it.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was living in the Netherlands one Christmas. There Sinterklaas (St Nicholas) is celebrated on 6th December, when all the present giving and feasting happens. Being a British family we had our turkey as usual on Christmas Day, though it was not particularly easy to find one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I lived abroad for a few years and spent Christmases in Turkey and Greece. I was surprised at how many Christmasy things were for sale in the supermarkets in Turkey plus there were decorations in a lot of the bars. The weather was normally quite mild in the day but got freezing at night (well, freezing compared to the temperatures we were used to). The call for prayer coming from the mosque was quite weird on Christmas day.

Christmas in Greece was more fun as everyone celebrated it there and there was a huge tree put up in the square in town so it felt like I was back home again. Plus the services from the churches would make me feel more festive.
  • Options
    kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife and daughter are in my wife's village in the Phillipinnes. They start singing and dancing in the village at about 10pm Christmas Eve and don't go to bed until about 6am Xmas Day morning. Children included. They sleep all day then have a huge barbecue for the whole village in the evening, followed by karoke and dancing again. Lots of alcohol of course. They kill several pigs and chickens that have been bred in the village and barbecue those. No turkey.

They don't exchange Christmas cards there and not many presents either. Guess they can't afford it.

Why "of course"? This country is unusual in its obsession with getting drunk at Christmas!

(Ps, you might want to alter the wikipedia entry, as that is completely different to what you posted!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_in_the_Philippines
    )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've spent xmas in south africa. It's great - we spent boxing day at a lion park. But I found they didn't go all out with decorations and lights etc like we do here
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They cant afford them- theyre spent all their money on booze!!:D

That sounds one HELL of a party! Hardcore!!:D:D
  • Options
    A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    queenshaks wrote: »
    My parents were to Mauritius 2 yrs ago Christmas and it was HOT! Around 36 degrees c everyday!

Fantastic. better than this freezing cold dump.
  • Options
    rehab_101rehab_101 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I spent xmas in Australia a few years ago. We went to an outdoor nativity thing in the evening of xmas eve and then went over to my cousins where all along the pavement outside houses people left paper lanterns, looked amazing with all the candles. Had some food and went back home. Xmas morning we woke up, opened some presents, went for a swim in the garden, got ready and went over to family, where we had nibbles during the day and abit of a BBQ in the evening.

Very strange, but very nice.
  • Options
    birdonawirebirdonawire Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am from Kenya. The connection is Kenyan-Asians - their food has been adopted by all and sundry and we all love eating chapattis and pilau rice.

I hope your daughter has a great time in India. My Goan friends are a lovely bunch.

Hope the Goan people look after her, she is loving India and the people.

Your Christmas sounds wonderful, more what it should be about rather than all of the consumerism here. How do you like it by the way?
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I was amazed to see in Tunisia at (our) Christmas-time, the shops and shopping centres were full of fully decorated Christmas trees, decorations, 'Joyeux Noel' signs and fairy lights. Even though they mainly use them in anticipation of the New Year celebrations and because of their French past, it's lovely to see.
  • Options
    ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In our area of Spain amongst our Spanish friends, Christmas per sé, is not really celebrated as it is celebrated on the evening of Epiphany (January 5th), where we have the Three Kings Evening and of course January 6th.....Christmas Eve is more popular....