IPTV - YouView

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,503
    Forum Member
    For the amount of IPTV I use it looks like going down on my knees to hook up my laptop to my big TV once every two weeks remains the sensible solution.
  • masona2masona2 Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    For the amount of IPTV I use it looks like going down on my knees to hook up my laptop to my big TV once every two weeks remains the sensible solution.

Too true, too true.

But wouldn't it be great to get all that net content off your telly from just one centralised source?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,503
    Forum Member
    Yes it would. And my target price for a box that does that (and just that) is £100. Don't really need or want no stinkin' NAS / media server.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it would. And my target price for a box that does that (and just that) is £100. Don't really need or want no stinkin' NAS / media server.

Sorry - but whats a NAS media server?
  • MP34L1feMP34L1fe Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    masona2 wrote: »
    Ooh!

Aren't you me?

Ha ha ha!

Remember that?

Hopefully people have now realised we ARE NOT one and the same lol
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Sorry - but whats a NAS media server?

Network Attached Storage = NAS.

a hard disk conncted straight into a router. all Pc's can see it as a useable 'share'. thus many like to dump music / movies onto one and all these mediaboxes usually can see it, except some blu ray players / media boxes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Network Attached Storage = NAS.

a hard disk conncted straight into a router. all Pc's can see it as a useable 'share'. thus many like to dump music / movies onto one and all these mediaboxes usually can see it, except some blu ray players / media boxes.

Yes,

I did some reasearch into NAS servers, and now understand what it means.

What I don't understand is, the Youview BB network will employ something called 'heads' in everyones local area as well as QoS.

Ehh?

Although I do wonder if this is anything to do with the new networks BT and TalkTalk are laying out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'm holding out for Youview, I don't care what Sky, Virgin, Apple, Google, Sony, Microsoft or anyone else is doing because they're just in it for profit, a closed system that will keep us paying, Sky and Virgin will use their IPTV offering as an added incentive to subscribe whilst the rest will probably disappear, Youview will imo be as popular as freeview is now within 7 years.
    Forum Member
    Yes,

I did some reasearch into NAS servers, and now understand what it means.

What I don't understand is, the Youview BB network will employ something called 'heads' in everyones local area as well as QoS.

Ehh?

Although I do wonder if this is anything to do with the new networks BT and TalkTalk are laying out.

checkout FreeNAS.

if you have a spare pc, you can convert it into a NASbox using this free OS.

I use it and it's bloody brilliant.

all It needs is a PC, keyboard, a network card and some hard disks.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whooa...

Just read this artical on techradar about the state of the IPTV market...

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/internet-tv-a-fragmented-future-917083

And it's a mess!

A total tits-up, balls-up, arse-ove tit, unfocused attempt at delivering good TV over IP.

And know ones getting it right.

I won't spoil it for you by stating what the artical says, but it's very, very interesting.

What I will say is thank God we've got Youview coming.

which just adds another service into the system, so more confusion.

Not read the article yet, but I will do later when I come home from work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I use my Wii to get BBC Iplayer and it does the job, i did have a look at the ITV and channel 4 players on the PS3, but did not think much of them, Quality is pretty naff to be honest,

If Lovefilm can do it then why can't others?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have a network drive and my PS3 is connected to it via the network and I love it

I got all my music on the drive, a few bits of video, some phtos and can access it from my PS3, well i will be able to when I get another router. I have to use my old speedtouch as the netgear have gone belly up and for some reason the speedtouch won't allow the PS3 to access the Network drive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    azimo wrote: »
    Well I'm holding out for Youview, I don't care what Sky, Virgin, Apple, Google, Sony, Microsoft or anyone else is doing because they're just in it for profit, a closed system that will keep us paying, Sky and Virgin will use their IPTV offering as an added incentive to subscribe whilst the rest will probably disappear, Youview will imo be as popular as freeview is now within 7 years.

Hate to say it but the only one involved with You that is not in it for profit is the BBC.

All the others are there for one thing only and that is to get profit.

BT and Talk Talk hopes it will give them more customers, ITV, Channel five and Channel 5 hope it will bring better advertising.

Arqiva no doubt wants to get more people using their sesaw service.

so you see it is about profit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    checkout FreeNAS.

if you have a spare pc, you can convert it into a NASbox using this free OS.

I use it and it's bloody brilliant.

all It needs is a PC, keyboard, a network card and some hard disks.

Linux based?

i will have a look at that later, I got a old Pc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, thats the plan.

But to get that popular, they will have to make it cheap (for a HD PVR) AND very accessible. But they probably already know that.
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Linux based?

i will have a look at that later, I got a old Pc.

even better.... BSD based so pure hardened tough old UNIX.

It's great, theres modules you can bundle onto it:

Bittorent client (Transmission)
    UPnP server (FUPPES)
    iTunes/DAAP server (Firefly)
    Webserver (lighttpd)
    Network bandwitdh measure (Iperf)

so, itunes can see it (useful if you use ipods/apple tv's)
    Bittorrent is good especally now some movie sites use it legally.
    UPnP, great for autoconfiguring your router etc etc.

Unlike a tradiional NAS device, freenas is PC based thus allowing MORE than one hard drive... not only bigger storage but different uses. music, data, films....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuntmaster,

I haven't got a clue what any of the above means.

Will Youview be using any of this what sounds like, useful tech?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hate to say it but the only one involved with You that is not in it for profit is the BBC.

All the others are there for one thing only and that is to get profit.

BT and Talk Talk hopes it will give them more customers, ITV, Channel five and Channel 5 hope it will bring better advertising.

Arqiva no doubt wants to get more people using their sesaw service.

so you see it is about profit.

The difference with Youview is you have a choice, with the rest you will have to pay for almost everything, I have no problem with ITV CH4 CH5 making money from adverts and hopefully alot of the seasaw content will be free, maybe blinkbox will get onboard, BT and TalTalk I have no interest in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    even better.... BSD based so pure hardened tough old UNIX.

It's great, theres modules you can bundle onto it:

Bittorent client (Transmission)
    UPnP server (FUPPES)
    iTunes/DAAP server (Firefly)
    Webserver (lighttpd)
    Network bandwitdh measure (Iperf)

so, itunes can see it (useful if you use ipods/apple tv's)
    Bittorrent is good especally now some movie sites use it legally.
    UPnP, great for autoconfiguring your router etc etc.

it does sound good, I will certainly have a look at the weekend as I got three days off work.
    Unlike a tradiional NAS device, freenas is PC based thus allowing MORE than one hard drive... not only bigger storage but different uses. music, data, films....

That is the problem i have with my NAS, it have a 1TB drive, but that is it internally. I can add 2 on the USB ports, but not the best way.

The problem I find with NAS is that they are slow, I got lots of software on mine, and to install them from the drive is really slow and copying them across is slow as well.
    I know the NAS got a fast gigabit network, but most routers don't and certainly no wireless that goes anywhere near the speed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuntmaster,

I haven't got a clue what any of the above means.

Will Youview be using any of this what sounds like, useful tech?

Doubt it. It may use UPnP, but that is about it.

I have to look at the specs again, because I can't remember if it was going to support DLNA, if it did that would be useful for some people
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The difference with Youview is you have a choice, with the rest you will have to pay for almost everything, I have no problem with ITV CH4 CH5 making money from adverts and hopefully alot of the seasaw content will be free, maybe blinkbox will get onboard, BT and TalTalk I have no interest in.

You do realise that if you View becomes popular that some of the channels you see on Freeview now may vanish, I can see all the ITV channels apart from say ITV1 go onto you view behind a pay wall, maybe Film four even.

ITV have been saying about doing that on sky, so if You view makes it easy, I can see it happening.

Seasaw at the moment is free for a lot of content, but if they get one You view how long will that last? Not that I think Seasaw is that good anyway. they can't even display 4:3 content correctly, they will have to do a better job on You view.

I am sceptical myself how much will stay free.
  • trxster3000trxster3000 Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    I am sceptical myself how much will stay free.

The great thing about all this new technology is that almost anyone will be able to become content providers, so I’m not so sure the commercial stations will look to other sources of funding other than advertisers. Just look at how technology has revolutionised the music industry with artists (Dizzy Rascal, Snow Patrol etc) producing content in their bedrooms. We’re at the very beginning of a similar revolution in television – let’s just hope we get some good writers!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doubt it. It may use UPnP, but that is about it.

I have to look at the specs again, because I can't remember if it was going to support DLNA, if it did that would be useful for some people

Even if it isn't in the spec, surely a manufacturer can produce a Youview box that also offers DLNA. In the same way that some produce Freeview boxes that also feature CI slots etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MostynDS wrote: »
    Even if it isn't in the spec, surely a manufacturer can produce a Youview box that also offers DLNA. In the same way that some produce Freeview boxes that also feature CI slots etc.

Hmmm,

Wouldn't that stop them selling more boxes?

Although I too can see the benifits of DNLA. Especially if it could be wireless enabled.

AND each user on each TV could watch separate channels. Now that would be something special.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway,

Off to do family stuff now.

Happy new year everyone.

:)