Exercise before or after breakfast?

soapmaniasoapmania Posts: 7,452
Forum Member
Regarding just weight loss? All replys greatly appreciated.

Comments

• whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I work out in the morning, I have a banana and that's it. No way I could train on an empty stomach, I would pass out
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I've been told by people in the know it's best to do it before breakfast. If there's nothing in your digestive system you should burn off the stored fat first. if you eat beforehand it will burn what you've just eaten. For fat loss it's best to exercise before breakfast.

Although i would definately make sure you're hydrated beforehand.

I work out before breakfast because having a stomach full of food makes me feel sick otherwise.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding just weight loss? All replys greatly appreciated.

How about, instead of?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Does it actually matter? Unless you have a super-fast digestive system, or wait a few hours before exercising, then surely it'll use stored energy either way?
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should never work out on empty - it does muscles more harm than good, the very least you should eat is a banana.

If you've really worked up a sweat, you can eat what you like up to 15mins after exercise (so that pizza, chips, burger etc) and you'll burn it straight off.
  • Roger MoreRoger More Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dearest Poppet in the summer months I like to rise early (at around 11.00am) and start with a couple of laps of the pool. I then partake of 10 to 15 minutes of The Windsor Workout followed by a breakfast of Eggs Benedict served by my Breakfast Boy, Andre. I find this routine works rather well.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    cultureman wrote: »
    How about, instead of?

Did your mother never tell you - breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Mine was also fond of saying,

Breakfast like a King
    Lunch like a Lord
    Dine like a Pauper.

Physiologists tell me there's a lot of truth in it.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did your mother never tell you - breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Mine was also fond of saying,

Breakfast like a King
    Lunch like a Lord
    Dine like a Pauper.

Physiologists tell me there's a lot of truth in it.

Here's some diabetes diet advice based on that saying.

http://www.diabetes-diet.org.uk/meals.html

The trouble with big breakfasts is that I find traveling difficult because of the IBS and wanting to go to toilet.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    I don't have a big breakfast, but I DO have breakfast now.

When I was you breakfast consisted of 2 ciggies and a cup of tea... oh dear. :o

Now that I am middle-aged, I don't, whenever possible, eat after 8pm as I have it on good authority that doing so is a sure way to expand the waistline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't make any significant difference. Your net calorie deficit will be roughly the same assuming a similar workout. Personally I find that I cannot train to the same intensity or duration on an empty stomach so end up burning less calories overall.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always go on my elliptical trainer after a light breakfast of orange juice, toast and coffee. It's usually half an hour or an hour after eating that I start the exercise. I never lose any weight though.:o
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10 miles on the bike and then depending on how I feel it's either a couple of bacon and egg oatcakes, a couple of boiled eggs and soldiers or a bowl of muesli.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never work out on a empty stomach. If I work out first thing in the morning then I normally have fruit juice and a banana 30 minutes before working out. Then a protein shake and cereal post workout.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    Before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doesn't matter, whatever you feel comfortable with.