Options

What were your irrational fears as a child?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    When I was a child there must have been an accident involving a child and a turnstile. My mum made me panic stricken going through those old fashioned tall turnstiles - I always thought I was gonna be strangled somehow. She was neurotic about escalators too ................I still get a little bit nervous around both of these.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody has mentioned the 9 o'clock horses. I was scared of them too.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    The opening credits to Tales of the Unexpected.
    Oh my God, that music sends shivers down my spine!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Nuclear bombs!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    I was scared people could read my mind and hear my thoughts!

I remember watching a kids drama where the characters got cursed and one of them said the phrase "without my pants" after every sentence he said. I was worried incase that was possible and used to worry it might happen to me! Not that phrase exactly but saying things you couldnt control.

When i was about 5-7 i used to play round my friends house most fridays after school and we heard that the box attached to the outside wall (some kind of fuse/electrical thing) actually had a laser sensor on it which could zap you if you didnt get in and out of the door quick enough!

When i was a bit older, early teens i watched part of the night of the living dead (remake) and thought it was funny. My dad later got it for me on dvd not realising it was the original. I watched it alone and it scared me to death. For weeks i had daymares about zombies. I was fine at night but when i was home alone (summer hols) i was paranoid zombies would attack me!

I had this too! When I was speaking to people I would try and not think of anything in case they could read my mind; I was only 7 or so at the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I grew up during the Cold War and it scared the crap out me
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nazi's. Apparently I used to wake as a very young child in great distress, I could speak fluently by then but I'm not sure what age I was. I used to relate very factual detail about wartime Germany?.:confused: I still occasionally have nightmares about them too. Always the same, trapped in the attic of a house with Nazis looking for me. When I was first in Amsterdam I couldn't visit the Anne Frank house and the nightmares happened there every night. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Nazi's. Apparently I used to wake as a very young child in great distress, I could speak fluently by then but I'm not sure what age I was. I used to relate very factual detail about wartime Germany?.:confused: I still occasionally have nightmares about them too. Always the same, trapped in the attic of a house with Nazis looking for me. When I was first in Amsterdam I couldn't visit the Anne Frank house and the nightmares happened there every night. :o

Maybe you were reincarnated
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That all the blood in my legs would dry up if I sat too close to a radiator
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe you were reincarnated

mm Maybe but I wouldn't dare go there on DS without a virtual bodyguard.:o Straight jackets don't suit me and the virtual variety are so last season. A bit like these crappy smilies .;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    mm Maybe but I wouldn't dare go there on DS without a virtual bodyguard.:o Straight jackets don't suit me.;-)

lol ... wait for it..................
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol ... wait for it..................

I'm off on my broomstick! :o
    WTF is this all about ^_^
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tall blocks of flats + my imagination of a fire or gas explosion.
    Enough said.

The sounds of cicadas at night.
    Sometimes it sounded as if they were creating an army to invade our home. It usually started chirping and clicking quietly. Slowly, other sodding cicadas joined the chirping and clicking. The volume increased, rapidly and persistently. As if they were working themselves into a blood-thirst frenzy and set to invade our home and kill everyone inside.

A certain pattern in my bedroom curtain.
    It had the shape of a head and shoulders. Sometimes Mum left a window ajar, which caused the curtain to flutter gently. This made the head glance at me repeatedly. As if it was deciding whether to kill me in my bed or not. Yeah, an indecisive murderer was what I feared.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was scared of lots of things - I hated the sound of the hoover running, that would scare me, make me panic, so I had to go into another room or preferably leave the house if my mum had it running when I wasn't at school

I was really nervous/scared of being asked to answer sums/maths questions in front of the class, though I guess in a way it wasn't irrational as I was pretty bad at maths.

I also had a real fear of balloons, more specifically balloons being popped and also fireworks. Insects used to scare me - if we went on holiday somewhere and I was left on my own to go to sleep, I'd hear noises and I'd be certain there was an insect in the room, which really scared me but if I shouted for my parents to come in, or, more likely, I came running up and they went to take a look - 9 times out of 10 there'd be nothing there :o leave me alone in there again and I'd hear it again. It upset me that I could hear buzzing noises that they apparently couldn't hear at all :(

ETA - I just remembered another one - escalators. I used to be scared of getting off the top of escalators on time, after seeing a Pink Panther cartoon where he got sucked back in to the escalator and dragged down to the bottom of it :o I'm still phobic of falling off the top of tall escalators, a slightly different fear but oh well...its a balance and heights issue I think(?).
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    As a kid I used to hate when my mum would use the hairdryer on me as I thought it would burn my ears off and it was really hot/loud.

I also echo the fear about escalators. I was always afraid that If I didn't step off in time I'd be sucked into it. I think my mum told me that's what happens if you don't get off the steps in time.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That people on the telly could see us, just as we saw them. I particularly hated it when my mum made us put our nighties on downstairs in front of the fire after a bath (pre CH) - I was convinced the Sunday Night at the London Palladium acts could see us.
  • Options
    too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leprosy. The nuns at my junior school used to tell us awful stories about body parts falling off and getting sent to live in a leper colony until you died so I was terrified that I might catch it.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Lamp posts stamping on my feet if I got out of bed during the night. :confused::D
  • Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The cupboard under the stairs, whatever was in it, always caught me halfway up the stairs and made me SCARED!, only on the way up tho, I was alright coming down.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MargMck wrote: »
    That people on the telly could see us, just as we saw them. I particularly hated it when my mum made us put our nighties on downstairs in front of the fire after a bath (pre CH) - I was convinced the Sunday Night at the London Palladium acts could see us.

Made me laugh. I had a similar problem. I though the newscaster was talking about his own life. When a very famous person died, and he reported it, it blew my mind.:D