Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 19)

Comments

• Options
    Draca_NoirDraca_Noir Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    I think this is very dangerous ground to be treading and for the record I think you are wrong to say it.

It is not acceptable to use a disaster like Hillsborough as way to elevate the club or community above others. The way the club, the families and the city as a whole has managed the aftermath of the disaster for the past 25 years has been exemplary. That is all that needs to be said, nothing else.

I hope that as a fellow Liverpool fan you may give my response more consideration than you will the others.

Every club is special to it's fans. There is no grade of 'special'.

Also agree with this post.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is very dangerous ground to be treading and for the record I think you are wrong to say it.

It is not acceptable to use a disaster like Hillsborough as way to elevate the club or community above others. The way the club, the families and the city as a whole has managed the aftermath of the disaster for the past 25 years has been exemplary. That is all that needs to be said, nothing else.

I hope that as a fellow Liverpool fan you may give my response more consideration than you will the others.

Well said.
  • Options
    LONERIDER37LONERIDER37 Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to say I think those writting off City are a tad premature, if they win their game in hand they are only 3 points behind us with a better goal difference, slightly too soon to rule them out.
    Palace beating everton was great, makes them safe I'd say now, so thats Palace & Newcastle who dont have anything much riding on their games v us. Need to beat Norwich 1st and foremost though, then turn our attentions to Chelsea, good to know that a draw will not do them if we can beat Norwich though.
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    I am not sure it would be worthwhile pursuing this much further as we are never going to agree - but for the record it is not just cos of the Hillsborough response that I think LFC is a special club, it is much much more than that.

Also there are things which LFC are rubbish at too - PR for one - many clubs are far better at things like access to the ground and to the players - and the ticket office is a joke too - which upsets me as I want my club to be the best and for sure in many things it isn't. Some may have read on another thread of my charity trip round the 92 clubs in 2008 - well for that some clubs were brilliant but LFC was not one of them - take a bow Middlesboro, Everton, Scunthorpe, Exeter, Bournemouth, Charlton and Leicester.

But when I am having trouble persuading even my fellow LFC fans that ours is a special club with qualities other clubs lack then it is time to probably give up.

And before closing can I say that in no way would I have anything other than praise for the way the football family have supported LFC over Hillsborough, especially in recent years as more of the truth has come, out - that has been awesome and has shown that all is not bad in the game after all. There were many years when society accepted the original version of what happened and in those years us LFC fans were not totally listened to in what we said but as perceptions have changed it has been good as fans of all teams have stood behind us - they did not have to but fair play to them nobody to my knowledge has allowed their own football allegiances to stop them supporting LFC over Hillsborough and that is great. Respect.
  • Options
    LONERIDER37LONERIDER37 Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    This is my final post on this matter and I wont derail your thread any further Good luck for the rest of the season.
    Wow, thats a climb down from you hope Liverpool die on their asses that you posted on your own thread to good luck in this one, wow! and to think you think batdude changes his views every post!
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think some of our fans on this forum, really need to get a grip and stop trying to wind opposition fans up!! We aren't guaranteed anything yet and I think certain people are getting a bit out of hand!

Pisses me off to be honest, I'm all for a bit of tongue in cheek talk, but some of the stuff I've seen is embarrassing!
  • Options
    BobbyNoMatesBobbyNoMates Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But when I am having trouble persuading even my fellow LFC fans that ours is a special club with qualities other clubs lack then it is time to probably give up.

I think the original point was that it wasn't LFC fans you were trying to hammer this home to...
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member

I don't really think I can add much to this.

We're a Special club because we are Liverpool FC - but I am certain Utd fans, Chelsea fans, etc will think the same about their clubs.

We have dealt with Hillsborough brilliantly, but I'm sure any other club would have been the same.

For any and all the reasons we believe we are special, being unlucky enough to see 96 of our fans not come back from a game is not, and never should be, one of them.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope if Palace are gona be docked those 3 points, its not before they play us. :p
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just feel after being at Anfield on Tuesday that ours is a special club - and that most of football can see that with the ex players, current squad, fans and ordinary people from all over the city all there - and I honestly doubt if other clubs would have the same kind of response - as Martinez said and Kenwright said last year when they picked on Liverpool they picked on the wrong city. Could you really see such a ceremony at other clubs? - cos I can't - as well as the absolute refusal of the club to play football on April 15th ever.

Being told pass me the sick bag by one poster when I tried to explain how a scouser would see captaining LFC and how the whole community came together after Hillsborough encapsulated in the awesome memorial service held annually was a tad offensive tbh.

I was not asking them to support LFC over their own team, I was only hoping they could see things to admire in how our club goes about doing things - incidentally the main striker of their team seemed to by his goal celebration on April 15th - I'd like to think if I saw any other team showing the integrity and dignity shown by our club and the families as our club that I would be able to recognise and praise it - and I think many fans of other clubs do - see the scarves on the pitch at Anfield - but not all clearly.

Btw I would have no prob admitting MUFC are a special club - they are - along with LFC they are the two giants of English football with a massive world wide fan base - larger even than ours if truth be told. In people like Busby and Charlton they are absolute football legends who have only done good for the game over the years.

I think everyone can understand how emotional it was for you and other Liverpool fans.
    But I'm not so sure that a tragedy like Hillsborough makes you a " special club".
    Of course, football fans everywhere are behind those who are fighting for justice. But that tragedy transcends football in my opinion. It symbolises how ordinary people were treated by certain sections of the establishment. The government, the police, the right wing press, they all conspired to spread their lies.
    But Liverpool are still just a football club, on that terrible day they just happened to be the victims of an injustice that still pervades society today. We can share your anger, and some of your pain, but as a football club it doesn't make you "special"..in my opinion
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    apropos Brendan Rogers, and managers in general, and not as a Liverpool supporter

even allowing for Fergie, and Busby, I get the feeling that what Liverpool fans give back to their club seems to go deeper than other clubs - and being a successful manager at Liverpool must be as good as it gets.

I just think it would be real hard to see a successful Rogers want to move on elsewhere.

(Edit. I notice a few of the more recent posts expressing maybe similar thoughts wrt to Hillsborough. I must say I hadn't considered that in respect of the comment about managers)
  • Options
    TalkmanTalkman Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When watching sky's Liverpool v man city game I was angry and disappointed at carragher,
    He was saying the way to STOP Liverpool is to press gerrard as he doesn't like it,
    He pointed out the villa game were gerrard played poorly and said it was because
    Villa pressed him every time he had the ball.

Considering we are only a few games away from winning the premier league title
    He shouldn't be giving our opponents tips on how to stop us,
    I wouldnt be surprised if Norwich Try this tactic on Sunday.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member

Agreed. Our handling of the Hillsborough disaster has been brilliant and everyone involved should be proud and recognised.

However that should not be used to make us seem more special than any other club or its fans. We're not more special because we had the misfortune of this disaster, which was a football disaster, and a human disaster, not just a Liverpool disaster. Nottingham fans also suffered that day, as well have other fans who've been to that ground in years leading up to it.

I don't think Hillsborough should be used in any way to make us sound superior to others. It could have been Tottenham fans in this fight for justice, would that have made them more special than us? I believe they would have fought just as hard as us, had it been them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Talkman wrote: »
    When watching sky's Liverpool v man city game I was angry and disappointed at carragher,
    He was saying the way to STOP Liverpool is to press gerrard as he doesn't like it,
    He pointed out the villa game were gerrard played poorly and said it was because

You think Norwich are going to prepare their tactics for the match by watching football on Sky?...
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's his job to analyse things, not to ignore them because it's Liverpool who might suffer.

Gary Neville wouldn't hesitate to do the same with United, and has done so in the past.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carragher shouldn't be giving tips on how to beat us on sky
    That's like selling your soul in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh Jesus lord. This is exactly the kind of embarrassing shit I'm talking about!

It doesn't take a tactical genius to work out what Carragher was saying. I'm more shocked and annoyed at some of the bullshit you have spouted over the time you've been on here!
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be argued that Carragher has spent the whole season misleading everyone over Liverpool's weaknesses to their benefit.

Why have managers and coaches when you can just get all the stuff of SKY?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Bullshit have I posted on this forum seellee ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carragher shouldn't be giving tips on how to beat us on sky
    That's like selling your soul in my opinion.

Probably best edit your previous post then - just in case they forgot to Sky+ it first time round, we don't want them reading up on how to beat us on DS either....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Bullshit have I posted on this forum seellee ?

Errr you only need to look above!
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richie1001 wrote: »
    You think Norwich are going to prepare their tactics for the match by watching football on Sky?...

I don't agree with the other poster in essence, however, to go on the assumption that teams and managers don't listen to what gets said on Sky isn't quite right IMO.

Gary Neville gave a fantastic run-down of the rights and wrongs in the England set-up on an edition of Monday Night Football. I sat there in amazement at the detail he went into, it was superb viewing... He was offered a job a couple of days later so I don't think it's actually that absurd a thought to think managers do in fact take things from TV coverage especially when it's an in-depth as UK coverage gets.
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    promo-only wrote: »
    I don't agree with the other poster in essence, however, to go on the assumption that teams and managers don't listen to what gets said on Sky isn't quite right IMO.

Gary Neville gave a fantastic run-down of the rights and wrongs in the England set-up on an edition of Monday Night Football. I sat there in amazement at the detail he went into, it was superb viewing... He was offered a job a couple of days later so I don't think it's actually that absurd a thought to think managers do in fact take things from TV coverage especially when it's an in-depth as UK coverage gets.

I think the point is the pundits don't tell us anything that a good manager / coach can work out for themselves. The trick is being able to espond to subtle differences in tactics that BR will make. If an opposing side concentrate their efforts on Gerrard hen wel will hit them somewhere else.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody Jamie Carragher! Trying to cost us the title! Grrrrrrr.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member

Carragher's job is to be an unbiased analyst

Not Liverpool's official ambassador to Sky Sports.
This discussion has been closed.