Options

How did someone who "has never had a real job" like Miliband become a millionaire?

Comments

• Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    I have not condemned Miliband for being wealthy have I?

It's Miliband's hypocrisy that irks me.

What hypocrisy?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. Why can't they carry on living in their previous modest houses?

If someone gets a better higher paid job then why shouldn't they move to a bigger or more expensive house in a nicer area? I certainly would. People moving up the housing ladder frees up smaller and cheaper homes for first time buyers.

There is a lot I don't like about the Blairs and Mandelsons of this world but I don't resent them for living in a nice house. Would you think better of them if they lived in a small flat or council house and had a few million more in the bank?
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have the LibDems hurled insults at any one yet?

Well no, but then their conference hasn't started yet. It's not like anyone would be paying attention anyway, it would be like being slandered in an Albanian newspaper.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    yesman2012 wrote: »
    Explain more?

As I understand it, his father was from Belgian, not the soviet union

According to wikipedia, he was born to a working class background. Presumably he emigrated to the UK with little/no wealth. I'm a bit confused about how a life-long dedicated Marxist would go from that to leaving behind a multi-million pound estate on his death.

There's no need to be confused at all - unless you want to be, of course. Ralph Milliband came to this country as a refugee, fought for it during the war, studied economics and became a very successful academic. As such he earned a reasonable salary, published books which sold rather well gaining royalties in the process and also lectured both all over this country and abroad which of course also earned him money.

All this of course is so much more reprehensible than those fine upstanding millionaires like Cameron, Osborne and Johnson, each of whom is a multi-millionaire though never having had a proper job outside politics. They all have multi-millionaire daddys though.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    If someone gets a better higher paid job then why shouldn't they move to a bigger or more expensive house in a nicer area? I certainly would. People moving up the housing ladder frees up smaller and cheaper homes for first time buyers.?

Logical enough, but then you are not a Labour leader desperately scraping around for money to bribe sufficient know-nothing voters to put yourself back into power, are you?
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone gets a better higher paid job then why shouldn't they move to a bigger or more expensive house in a nicer area? I certainly would. People moving up the housing ladder frees up smaller and cheaper homes for first time buyers.

There is a lot I don't like about the Blairs and Mandelsons of this world but I don't resent them for living in a nice house. Would you think better of them if they lived in a small flat or council house and had a few million more in the bank?

they might start to do that if miliband implements his envy........sorry, mansion tax.:D
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    What hypocrisy?

I suppose she would mean that Miliband is always criticising other people for going to extraordinary lengths to minimise the tax they pay in the UK, when it would appear that he and his family have gone to extraordinary lengths to minimise the tax they pay in the UK.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no need to be confused at all - unless you want to be, of course. Ralph Milliband came to this country as a refugee, fought for it during the war, studied economics and became a very successful academic. As such he earned a reasonable salary, published books which sold rather well gaining royalties in the process and also lectured both all over this country and abroad which of course also earned him money.

All this of course is so much more reprehensible than those fine upstanding millionaires like Cameron, Osborne and Johnson, each of whom is a multi-millionaire though never having had a proper job outside politics. They all have multi-millionaire daddys though.

I'm not sure that Cameron, Osborne or Johnson ever claimed to be Marxists though
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me it's more the way they villify others for being exactly the same as themselves.

Exactly, a truly traitorous party now full to the brim with middle/upper class ex politics students.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Logical enough, but then you are not a Labour leader desperately scraping around for money to bribe sufficient know-nothing voters to put yourself back into power, are you?

Funnily, enough no I'm not. Nor am I a class-warrior driven by the politics of envy.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    clinch wrote: »
    I suppose she would mean that Miliband is always criticising other people for going to extraordinary lengths to minimise the tax they pay in the UK, when it would appear that he and his family have gone to extraordinary lengths to minimise the tax they pay in the UK.

Correct.:)
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    trunkster wrote: »
    Exactly, a truly traitorous party now full to the brim with middle/upper class ex politics students.

Aren't they all like that - and all traitorous to the British people
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which makes it more absurd that Milliband was having a go at Cameron for being wealthy. It's only natural to climb the ladder.

Anyway, I was being sarky. I don't resent anyone having a nice home. I believe everyone should afford to have one.
  • Options
    BobbyNoMatesBobbyNoMates Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relugus wrote: »
    Cameron has never had a proper job either, unless you think being a PR man is anything like a real job involving actual work

I'm in the PR industry and work 7am-9pm most days, with those hours past 6pm being spent in the office and not 'networking' in restaurants or bars. Does this not count as hard work?

I assume you're down the mine seven days a week doing back-breaking labour?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm in the PR industry and work 7am-9pm most days, with those hours past 6pm being spent in the office and not 'networking' in restaurants or bars. Does this not count as hard work?

I assume you're down the mine seven days a week doing back-breaking labour?
    Dave got a top level job despite having no experience in PR. Nothing to do with daddy in law
  • Options
    thesabbaththesabbath Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Classic Miliband hypocrisy: http://youtu.be/AtiuuSsP3no?t=6m49s
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    thesabbath wrote: »

Exactly proves my point. He is a mealy mouthed hypocrite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Exactly proves my point. He is a mealy mouthed hypocrite.

How is that different from the other mealy mouthed hypocrites?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thesabbath wrote: »

He might not have got the top rate tax cut but his wife did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is that different from the other mealy mouthed hypocrites?

Are you saying they're all the same then?
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To address the question posed by the thread...what is a real job? 'cos if it's what I think you think it is, not too many of those will make anyone a millionaire.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    His Marxist father owned it.

There was some legal tax dodge to avoid paying death duties on it

A rich Marxist? What's all that about ?
  • Options
    AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    A rich Marxist? What's all that about ?

You would have thought he would have given it to the state, or opened it up to the destitute.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    His Marxist father owned it.

Whatever happened to "property is theft"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So an academic entrepreneurial Marxist who knew how to dodge tax, yep that really puts Cameron, Osborne & Johnson to shame.