Channels Showing Full Widescreen Films

mattybmattyb Posts: 1,185
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you think any other channels other than the Sky channels and Channel 4 will eventually show movies in their full aspect ratio?
I've noticed Five have shown the odd few, BBC HD do it and tonight Watch are showing Stargate in full widescreen.
Is it down to cost that few channels show them or is it the networks believe the viewers want 16:9 cropped programmes?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    Hopefully not. I prefer the 16:9 crop as it fills much more of my screen.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Having black borders at the top and bottom of the screen is so disturbing for me.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I prefer to see the whole film, with the lights down you hardly notice the black bars.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having black borders at the top and bottom of the screen is so disturbing for me.

Whilst those opinions are widely held, the broadcasters will generally shy away from showing films in their correct aspect ratio I'm afraid.
  • fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whats the point in "forcing" the nation to go out and buy a widescreen tv, and then filling half the screen space with black bars!!!????
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^ Well, you could argue the other way. If a film was made with a very wide ratio (typically 2.3:1), is it acceptable to crop the sides off the picture just to make the picture fill a 16:9 screen?
    At least with the 'correct' ratio transmitted, you get to see the whole of the image as the director planned it. Cropping distorts the composition of the picture, with some actors and objects in the wrong places.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I trust thats a bit of humour, Film Four also shows some films in the original aspect ratio, and oddly enough Movies For Men has been known to even if the actual print quality is sh*te
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    I hate cropped films, they should only be shown in their original ratio.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    Studios should insist that films are shown in their original aspect ratio when they sell them.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite right, David.
    Distributors should be obliged to provide a good quality print (or tape) in original aspect ratio and the broadcasters should be obliged to show it in that state. No cropping (east-west or north-south) allowed, no stretching.
  • BspksBspks Posts: 1,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Philips now make a 21:9 TV so that films can be shown full screen in their correct ratio.
    If a few other manufacturers joined in it should get more common and everyone would be happy.
    Full screen and correct ratio, 16:9 can be stretched or shown with black bars, 4:3 can only be stretched as far as 16:9 though, it would look ridiculous stretched to 21:9.
    It's a bit chicken and egg situation but it's what happened when 16:9 screens were first introduced.
  • Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,576
    Forum Member
    mattyb wrote: »
    Do you think any other channels other than the Sky channels and Channel 4 will eventually show movies in their full aspect ratio?
    I've noticed Five have shown the odd few, BBC HD do it and tonight Watch are showing Stargate in full widescreen.
    Is it down to cost that few channels show them or is it the networks believe the viewers want 16:9 cropped programmes?

ITV1 showed a film in its original aspect ratio last night; I could hardly believe my eyes!
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fugitive wrote: »
    whats the point in "forcing" the nation to go out and buy a widescreen tv, and then filling half the screen space with black bars!!!????

Try looking up the reason for them then. Start with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

Also, every TV aimed at a living room setting is widescreen now. Only some small kitchen-destined TVs are 4:3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kevin1960 wrote: »
    ITV1 showed a film in its original aspect ratio last night; I could hardly believe my eyes!

Did they? Which one was that and who died at ITV to make that happen? I've never seen them do that before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Then crop if yourself with the digibox settings. If you '4:3 crop' a 2.35:1 film, you get the 16:9 equivalent. Yes, it's a centre crop, but then you don't really care what you watch, do you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bspks wrote: »
    Philips now make a 21:9 TV so that films can be shown full screen in their correct ratio.
    If a few other manufacturers joined in it should get more common and everyone would be happy.
    Full screen and correct ratio, 16:9 can be stretched or shown with black bars, 4:3 can only be stretched as far as 16:9 though, it would look ridiculous stretched to 21:9.
    It's a bit chicken and egg situation but it's what happened when 16:9 screens were first introduced.

I love my films, but that TV is too big for my room, and 4:3 stuff would look a bit lost in the middle :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mattyb wrote: »

Which films have Five shown in 2.35:1? I don't know of any. They're the most clueless out of all the broadcasters.

BBC1 and 2 have shown a few films properly over the past couple of years including Dances with Wolves, Blade Runner Director's Cut, The Peacemaker and Syriana. Tends to be when they show a film for the first time though, so they've not done what C4 (and its variants) have done by going out of their way to obtaining new prints for almost all of them.

They'd do well to do so, though, as what a lot of people don't realise is that so many of the prints shown today are really piss-poor. The Sound of Music looked like it had been left out in the sun for a month, last time it was on, and the 4:3 prints of the Indiana Jones trilogies on BBC1 were the height of embarrassment! They looked older than the films themselves!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wide screen tvs/broadcasts have been around for years now.Yet no broadcaster has broadcast a film without ,no one having to adjust the ratio via the remote.Dont forget widescreen is decades old in the film industry known as cinemascope.Maybe one day broadcasters in tv will get it right
  • RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maltronics wrote: »
    Wide screen tvs/broadcasts have been around for years now.Yet no broadcaster has broadcast a film without ,no one having to adjust the ratio via the remote.Dont forget widescreen is decades old in the film industry known as cinemascope.Maybe one day broadcasters in tv will get it right

What are you on about I nor anyone else needs the Aspect button on my remote for films, sky and channel4 broadcast them properly just like Blu-ray and HDDVD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Did they? Which one was that and who died at ITV to make that happen? I've never seen them do that before.

I believe it was Hannibal Rising. STV recently broadcast it in the correct aspect ratio too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    I believe it was Hannibal Rising. STV recently broadcast it in the correct aspect ratio too.

Thanks. I've set up a reminder on Digiguide to have a look when it turns up on ITV2 at some point.

Oddly, I saw BBC3 show a Pirates of the Carribean film in 2.35:1 recently, but when I looked another time it was in 16:9. Could've been a different one I guess but I thought it was the same at first. I've only seen clips of them and they all look a bit the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Oddly, I saw BBC3 show a Pirates of the Carribean film in 2.35:1 recently, but when I looked another time it was in 16:9.

BBC HD always show the Pirate's films in 2.35:1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    BBC HD always show the Pirate's films in 2.35:1.

I know they do this a lot with films. They showed the Indy films in 2.35:1 while BBC1 got 4:3.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When BBC showed a simulcast of The Incredibles at Christmas, BBC HD was 2.35:1(21:9) while BBC1 was 1.85:1(16:9)
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I've got a widescreen, and everything looks ok to me. On the odd occasion I adjust the 'wotzit' button to change its size. If I watch a film black lines above and below, I usually get used to it and don't notice after a few minutes anyway (well until the ads come on!).