Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Thread (Part 12)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,751
Administrator
Continuation of: Tottenham Hotspur fans on the forum? (Part 11)
Pee wrote: »
this is why I didn't (and still don't) understand the argument that 4-4-2 best suits the players we have. it really doesn't, aside from the two or three extremely one-dimensional players in the squad. it most certainly doesn't suit the best ones, that's for sure.

Comments

• kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/07/police-antisemitic-tweets-coins-thrown-spurs-arsenal-match
    Police are examining antisemitic tweets posted after an Arsenal-Spurs clash that saw winger Theo Walcott and St John Ambulance staff pelted with missiles.

Scotland Yard confirmed it is assessing the messages that referred to the Holocaust and is liaising with both clubs over the objects that were thrown.
    Saw some of those after the Walcott injury announcement. To be fair to Ian Wright, he said he was ashamed of those particular fans (who only represent themselves, of course, not Arsenal fans) after he generalised about Spurs fans gloating over the injury.

Anyway, interesting in the light of what Shelley said about the atmosphere at the Emirates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have 11 players on the injury list:

R Soldado Calf/Shin Injury 11th Jan 14
    K Naughton Hamstring Injury no return date
    E Lamela Hip/Thigh Injury no return date
    G Sigurdsson Calf/Shin Injury no return date
    L Holtby Knock no return date
    Paulinho Ankle/Foot Injury no return date
    J Defoe Hamstring Injury 11th Jan 14
    A Townsend Hamstring Injury 11th Jan 14
    S Ranieri Calf/Shin Injury 11th Jan 14
    Y Kaboul Hip/Thigh Injury 19th Jan 14
    J Vertonghen Ankle/Foot Injury 19th Jan 14

At least some of those might be back for Saturday, at a stretch.

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php
  • PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    according to Michael Cox, some 20% of Premier League players are currently injured. if true, that's an incredibly high amount.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do feel sorry for the smaller clubs as it becomes more about who has the less player attrition. Just as well we have a bit of depth to the squad this year else I dread to think where we would be, though a good opportunity for some of the youngsters to break through.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Lamela and Holtby played in the training ground match against Charlton a few days ago so they must be near to returns.

Oh, and I won part 11 ;)
    JasonWatkins 	773
    Andy-B 	        494
    kimindex 	454
    Pee 	        414
    Deep Purple 	226

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know Lamela and Holtby played in the training ground match against Charlton a few days ago so they must be near to returns.

Oh, and I won part 11 ;)
    JasonWatkins     773
    Andy-B             494
    kimindex     454
    Pee             414
    Deep Purple     226

I'm winning part 12!
  • Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Obika confirmed to Brighton today on a 3 month loan.

For those who only don't normally follow the progress of our younger teams, our U19/18s are currently in Vietnam playing a tournament. They beat the Japan U19 national side 2-1 in their first game but lost a close match against Roma 1-2 in their second game. Not bad considering most of our lads are 16/17 years old.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did notice that result from the tournament - good stuff.

just noticed the city/spammers game as well. shame. *cough* :)
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Defoe is going to the MLS then

I feel it's abit of a waste tbh
    Forum Member
    if he were really as good as some seem to think, there'd be better clubs than Toronto FC in for him, that's for sure. he isn't though, not by a long way.

nothing against the guy, and I wish him all the best when he leaves, but he's no great loss, and very easily replaceable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if he were really as good as some seem to think, there'd be better clubs than Toronto FC in for him, that's for sure. he isn't though, not by a long way

doesn't every other football fan say that about players we sign ?

i'm sure i heard it said about Lloris at one point ..
    he's no great loss, and very easily replaceable.

To be fair pee, why not just say nothing more than the above since we all know it's how you really feel about him ?

either way, i will be sad to see him go. he's been one of the more prolific strikers we've had in the past couple of years. i hope we'll at least get him back on loan for the remainder of the season as a back-up anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be fair pee, why not just say nothing more than the above since we all know it's how you really feel about him ?

either way, i will be sad to see him go. he's been one of the more prolific strikers we've had in the past couple of years. i hope we'll at least get him back on loan for the remainder of the season as a back-up anyway.
    He'll be on £90, 000 a week, apparently, making him the highest paid MLS star.

I wish him well, too.
    Forum Member

Lloris moving here wasn't really a step down, and if he were to move again it sure as hell wouldn't be to a lesser club. Defoe moving to Toronto is a HUGE step down, as I always suspected it would be if and when he left. this tells me he wasn't really good enough to be starting for us as he has tended to do over the last season and a half, and as such I don't feel he'll be any great loss. that's my opinion though, and I was under the impression those were still allowed in here
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lloris moving here wasn't really a step down, and if he were to move again it sure as hell wouldn't be to a lesser club. Defoe moving to Toronto is a HUGE step down, as I always suspected it would be if and when he left. this tells me he wasn't really good enough to be starting for us as he has tended to do over the last season and a half, and as such I don't feel he'll be any great loss. that's my opinion though, and I was under the impression those were still allowed in here

You are, of course, fully entitled to your opinion. I just felt it was a tad disingenuous to say you had nothing against the guy when you've made no secret of your disdain for him over the years. which is, of course, absolutely fine.

but then to be fair, we'll likely never know if he actually did receive any other offers. But then i suspect most players his age would jump at the chance to trouser £90k a week for the last few years of their career - I doubt he'd have gotten anywhere close to that if he'd stayed put. He might have gotten that if he'd re-joined Harry at QPR, but i'd be surprised.
    Forum Member
    my disdain has always been in regard to (my perception of) his ability rather than him as a person. why should I not be able to separate the two?
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    That's quite impressive; we got to 15 posts this time before the handbags came out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    That's quite impressive; we got to 15 posts this time before the handbags came out.

Heh, that's my fault. I wasn't having a dig at Pee, although it clearly looks like i am, so i'll withdraw, put my handbag back in the drawer, apologise and go to bed since it's bloody 4:56am :o
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    holy smoke! That is a long day.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck, Jermain. Highest scorer in Europe, and fifth highest scorer overall. Thanks for the goals.
    kimindex wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/07/police-antisemitic-tweets-coins-thrown-spurs-arsenal-match

Saw some of those after the Walcott injury announcement. To be fair to Ian Wright, he said he was ashamed of those particular fans (who only represent themselves, of course, not Arsenal fans) after he generalised about Spurs fans gloating over the injury.

Anyway, interesting in the light of what Shelley said about the atmosphere at the Emirates.

Glad they're taking action, some of those tweets were disgstuing. It's just a shame that they weren't as fussed on the day when abuse was reported to them.

My brother was talking to a friend of his who is an Arsenal fan, and told him about the abuse we received, and he said he'd never heard abuse like that until the whole Y-word debate was raised by Baddiel, Herbert and the like. I'll note how they have nothing to say on the matter when there is actual anti-semitic abuse as that doesn't fit their agenda.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit surprised Defoe is being allowed to go mid-season, so it makes me wonder if we have someone else lined up already.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Good luck, Jermain. Highest scorer in Europe, and fifth highest scorer overall. Thanks for the goals.

Glad they're taking action, some of those tweets were disgstuing. It's just a shame that they weren't as fussed on the day when abuse was reported to them.

My brother was talking to a friend of his who is an Arsenal fan, and told him about the abuse we received, and he said he'd never heard abuse like that until the whole Y-word debate was raised by Baddiel, Herbert and the like. I'll note how they have nothing to say on the matter when there is actual anti-semitic abuse as that doesn't fit their agenda.
    Interesting.
    Yes, did Herbert say anything about Anelka?
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised Defoe is being allowed to go mid-season, so it makes me wonder if we have someone else lined up already.
    There was a Shane Long rumour (don't shoot the messenger!). But I guess we have Adebayor, Soldado and Kane.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^I've not seem Herbet (or Baddiel) say anything on it, kimi.
  • Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other Defoe replacement rumours include Kalou, ex Chelski.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    ^I've not seem Herbet (or Baddiel) say anything on it, kimi.
    You'd think they've had been all over it. Shame.
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    kimindex wrote: »
    He'll be on £90, 000 a week, apparently, making him the highest paid MLS star.

I wish him well, too.
    Woah!!

At 31 years old nearing the latter stages of his career, I can see why going to the MLS to potentially earn £30,000 a week more than his spurs salary might be tempting lol he wouldn't get that from anywhere else in the EPL, if anything he'd probably get reduced wages elsewhere in the EPL
This discussion has been closed.