Aurora sightings across the UK tonight

kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just a heads up for anyone with clear skies that the Northern Lights are being seen as far south as Wales tonight. A 48 hour storm watch has been announced so keep your eyes peeled. I've just been out for a gander and they're beautiful tonight!

Virtual Astronomer on Twitter has been retweeting photos from the UK over the past few hours. Why not go out and have a look? :)

https://www.twitter.com/VirtualAstro

Comments

• Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice one Kivi, cheers for the heads up :)
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm, I am on the mailing list for warnings for Northern lights displays in the UK and I have not received any email warning me of an event.
  • finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, they're nice tonight. In Orkney as well and they're the best i've seen since i've been here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn it all. I was looking forward to a glimpse of the secret black project triangular hypersonic aircraft capable of a Mach 6 overhead >:(
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I have never seen them like this in Northern Scotland before - we live in a town and despite the light pollution, what a display :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm made up for everyone who can see them, no chance here in Liverpool, but love the pics being posted :)
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been out, clear sky's but no sign. I have never seen them. Coming to Orkney in August so perhaps I might be lucky then.
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Literally, just had my alert from aurora watch UK.

Better late than never.

Clear skies down south but no lights..... :(
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit miffed that AuroraWatch haven't sent me an alert yet.

I actually found out via text from a friend - who'd seen breaking news on BBC News!
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora Watch are really slow sometimes at alerting folk, so I switched and started to use Virtual Astronomer and Aurora Alerts EU on Twitter. Hope some folk are able to see them. That's three nights I've seen them this week :D *spoiled*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some amazing pictures on there. Hope they're all legit.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »
    Bit miffed that AuroraWatch haven't sent me an alert yet.

I actually found out via text from a friend - who'd seen breaking news on BBC News!

AuroraWatch UK http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/ are reporting an amber alert - a possible aurora - rather than a red alert which means a likely aurora display. Nothing was mentioned on the tea time weather forecasts either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    Kiviraat! Thanks so much for this update which I had missed! Kinda level with Manchester here and nothing to report :( but I'm excited anyways.

Lovely, clear, starry sky - but nothing out of the ordinary asides form that!

I'll be looking north! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AuroraWatch UK http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/ are reporting an amber alert - a possible aurora - rather than a red alert which means a likely aurora display. Nothing was mentioned on the tea time weather forecasts either.

Do they tend to report auroras on the weather forecast? Don't think I've ever seen them do that unless there's been a lot of activity on the sun. The yellow, amber and red just tend to tell you where in the UK you can see it from. We get yellow alerts/minor activity reported a lot at this time of year which can be seen where I am but not further south. It doesn't mean there is no activity at all in the UK. Watching local astronomy groups on FB etc can help give a heads up in your local area :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Always cloudy when something good happens in the sky :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Article on BBC site :)http://bbc.com/news/uk-26378027
    Forum Member
    kiviraat wrote: »
    Do they tend to report auroras on the weather forecast? Don't think I've ever seen them do that unless there's been a lot of activity on the sun. The yellow, amber and red just tend to tell you where in the UK you can see it from. We get yellow alerts/minor activity reported a lot at this time of year which can be seen where I am but not further south. It doesn't mean there is no activity at all in the UK. Watching local astronomy groups on FB etc can help give a heads up in your local area :)

In recent years, the BBC forecasts have certainly mentioned astronomical things to look out for like meteor showers and so on although with auroras it's very rare and lucky to see them in Cumbria, Ulster and North Yorkshire let alone southern England. It's a pity really because that might inspire people to take a greater interest in all things astronomical and meteorological (such as noctilucent clouds - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctilucent_cloud - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=noctilucent+clouds&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=m70PU9iROKev0QXNnoGACw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=610).
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Nothing here yet in Bristol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The pic with the car in is amazing, don't think Question Time's gonna get much of my attention tonight, can't stop looking at the Tweets :)
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Nothing here yet in Bristol.

I agree with that - I just looked out the back door and whilst the sky was clear and the stars were glittering, there were, regrettably, no signs of any auroral shimmering curtains of light.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with that - I just looked out the back door and whilst the sky was clear and the stars were glittering, there were, regrettably, no signs of any auroral shimmering curtains of light.

It's getting stronger, so fingers crossed it winds it's way down!
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was mentioned on East Mids weather that some people in the area were reporting them, but nothing here in Nottingham at the 'mo. Quite clear and I can actually see a fair number of stars for once though.
  • KittiaraKittiara Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's one of my big dreams in life to see the Aurora, but it looks like tonight is not going to be my lucky night. I live between Leeds and Manchester and was all excited to see pics from this area on the twitter account, but sadly, I live in a valley so finding a good spot is difficult.

I ventured past our village pub and got shouted at by some drunk guys, then went up the road uphill but it was all dark and creepy so I turned back. The sky is clear and the stars looked all pretty, though, and least I got some fresh air!

One day, one day... :)
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,511
    Forum Member
    Aurorawatch has the activity back down to green - normal - now. Was about to head out into the sticks with camera. Too slow. :(