Options

I’ve had enough of people insinuating that Ukip is racist – it's simply not true

Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
Forum Member
Never thought I would say it, but UKIP sound like the only real party who would give us more for our money.

Nigel Farage: I’ve had enough of people insinuating that Ukip is racist – it's simply not true...

The Ukip manifesto launch this week was met with confusion on the part of Westminster journalists who, for the most part, couldn’t seem to muster up an interesting question between them in the immediate moments after our policy chief Suzanne Evans finished speaking at the Thurrock Hotel.
We had confounded them – with a fully costed manifesto that had been audited by the independent Centre for Economic and Business Research think-tank. So instead, the media aftermath relied almost exclusively upon the pictures inside the document, rather than the policies, which still, 24 hours later, cannot be challenged.

We announced a low tax revolution this week. We announced our ethical, points-based immigration system. We challenged the Conservative Party on defence. We challenged the Labour party on welfare, housing, and the National Health Service.

So it actually didn’t surprise me when the silly question that seems to have gone viral online emerged from the mouth of a journalist in the room: “Are you happy that the only black face in the [manifesto] is on the Overseas Aid page?”

Read the full article: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/ive-had-enough-of-people-insinuating-that-ukip-is-racist--its-simply-not-true-10182747.html

Comments

• Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er! Bit late in the day for him to come over all sensitive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    Er! Bit late in the day for him to come over all sensitive.

Don't think he is doing that. He is making very valid points about a properly costed manifesto.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,863
    Forum Member
    So why does Nigel Farage want to get rid of the racism laws? His excuse does not wash at all!
  • Options
    TequilaTequila Posts: 5,111
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    So why does Nigel Farage want to get rid of the racism laws? His excuse does not wash at all!

Er, he doesn't?
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There not just racist. some of the UKIP supporters on the web are nasty spiteful people.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure I care now about whether UKIP are racist or not, I think a lot of people realised last night that Farage has nothing to offer. Even he was resigned to speaking to the sort of people that he has already persuaded, he didn't even try to win new support. The party has peaked, it's all downhill from here, then we can focus back on real politics. If he's managed to nudge the other parties a bit on an issue or two, then fair play, but that will be his biggest achievement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tequila wrote: »
    Er, he doesn't?

Yes he does. He thinks racism doesn't exist anymore so there is no need for the anti racism laws! Who's he trying to kid?! Those ethnic minorites at their manifesto launch I think are very misguided to be part of UKIP and I'm mincing my words only because I'm on a fourm!
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A fully costed manifesto? Of course, no black holes in a UKIP budget for obvious reaons. Apart from their budget assumptions about the supposed benefits of leaving the EU of course.

As for UKIP racism, I don't doubt Farage himself is not a racist. His problem is UKIP attracts racists to it like a moth to the flame. Some of its candidates have been caught saying openly racist things. UKIP are basically libertarians. They want be free to be racists if they want.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Yes he does. He thinks racism doesn't exist anymore so there is no need for the anti racism laws! Who's he trying to kid?! Those ethnic minorites at their manifesto launch I think are very misguided to be part of UKIP and I'm mincing my words only because I'm on a fourm!

There is racism still, because the other parties still keep creating division, segregation and treating minorities differently to anyone else, even though there is no real reason for doing so. This creates resentment and animosity, particularly when they are given preferential treatment by the more extreme hand wringers, solely because of who they are. This is a racist act in itself.

I'm sure if a council was told to concentrate on white, British workers to hire instead of minorities who may well be better at the job, you would be up in arms, so why is it seen as perfectly acceptable when it is the other way round?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To the OP, how is Farage going to get us more money? Even he now will do a referendum on Europe rather than instantly pulling out of the EU and the chances are the majority of people will vote to stay in. I think its just a loud minority of people who shout and scream about getting out.

If we did leave the EU, there would almost certainly be a lot of major companies who would leave the UK and relocate to an EU country and make a lot of British workers redundant here becuase they wouldn't want to risk paying tarrif charges on their goods. I think the Japanese car companies would be the first to leave and they only came here anyway I think when the Single European Act of 1986 was passed by THATCHER not Labour! Nissan in Sunderland have always said they would leave if we leave the EU and all these car companies have loads of other smaller companies linked to them who provide them with parts.

The only money that UKIP would "save" would be around 9 Billion from the International Aid Budget but with that money being split up and going towards different departments from the NHS, defence, maybe Police too, I doubt we will notice any improvements at all while lots of people in poor countries could well die because of a lack of clean water, simple easy to access drugs that we can get over here and a lack of basic foods.

We spend 730 BILLION a year now but the way people moan and begrudge foreign aid is outrageous imo!
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I’ve had enough of people insinuating that Ukip is racist
    I've had enough of UKIP.
  • Options
    TequilaTequila Posts: 5,111
    Forum Member

No he didn't. What he said was that he felt that companies should be able to discriminate in favour of British workers, regardless of colour or ethnic origin. He didn't say anything about race as such
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We spend 730 BILLION a year now but the way people moan and begrduge foreign aid is outrageous imo!

People don't begrudge foreign aid, but very little of the aid budget goes to the poorest and needy in these countries. It's a vehicle to curry favour and grease palms. UKIP are proposing £2bn on foreign aid, which targets those who are in direct need of it, and not to go towards a consultancy who take obscene amounts of it, or help fund some tinpot official's Lear jet.
    No he didn't. What he said was that he felt that companies should be able to discriminate in favour of British workers, regardless of colour or ethnic origin. He didn't say anything about race as such

The main problem with UKIP is the complete inability of people's reading and comprehension skills who lap up anything the media tell them.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Even if that is the case, in reality people will discriminate against ethnic minorities born here and they are already do as ethnic minorities are unemployed in much bigger numbers than the indigenous community and I don't think it would be long at all before Farage would move onto scrapping all anti racism laws.

I think you need to be much more realistic in your thinking on this and think how buoyed he would be if ever he won power. I don't think he would hold off from scrapping anti racism laws at all.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is racism still, because the other parties still keep creating division, segregation and treating minorities differently to anyone else, even though there is no real reason for doing so. This creates resentment and animosity, particularly when they are given preferential treatment by the more extreme hand wringers, solely because of who they are. This is a racist act in itself.

I'm sure if a council was told to concentrate on white, British workers to hire instead of minorities who may well be better at the job, you would be up in arms, so why is it seen as perfectly acceptable when it is the other way round?
    Because it isn't what's happening, apart from in people's imaginations and what they heard from some bloke down the pub who couldn't get a job. No one is being told not to employ white British people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like some of what UKIP says but their party does have a tendency to appeal to racists. The party line is they wont tolerate Racism, but some are more open than others in such views.
  • Options
    NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    Steve™ wrote: »
    Never thought I would say it, but UKIP sound like the only real party who would give us more for our money.

Nigel Farage: I’ve had enough of people insinuating that Ukip is racist – it's simply not true...

The Ukip manifesto launch this week was met with confusion on the part of Westminster journalists who, for the most part, couldn’t seem to muster up an interesting question between them in the immediate moments after our policy chief Suzanne Evans finished speaking at the Thurrock Hotel.
    We had confounded them – with a fully costed manifesto that had been audited by the independent Centre for Economic and Business Research think-tank. So instead, the media aftermath relied almost exclusively upon the pictures inside the document, rather than the policies, which still, 24 hours later, cannot be challenged.

We announced a low tax revolution this week. We announced our ethical, points-based immigration system. We challenged the Conservative Party on defence. We challenged the Labour party on welfare, housing, and the National Health Service.

So it actually didn’t surprise me when the silly question that seems to have gone viral online emerged from the mouth of a journalist in the room: “Are you happy that the only black face in the [manifesto] is on the Overseas Aid page?”

Read the full article: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/ive-had-enough-of-people-insinuating-that-ukip-is-racist--its-simply-not-true-10182747.html

Interesting article, with an interesting poll result from the visitors to this Independant article / webpage and interesting comments from the posters on said site. I'm actually at little surprised (considering it's the Independant).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Vernon Bennett;77734776 People don't begrudge foreign aid, but very little of the aid budget goes to the poorest and needy in these countries. It's a vehicle to curry favour and grease palms. UKIP are proposing £2bn on foreign aid, which targets those who are in direct need of it, and not to go towards a consultancy who take obscene amounts of it, or help fund some tinpot official's Lear jet.

The main problem with UKIP is the complete inability of people's reading and comprehension skills who lap up anything the media tell them.[/QUOTE]

How do you know that? Don't the Government give the money to Non Government Organisations a lot which are the aid charities like Save The Children, Oxfam etc etc? I think long gone are the days where it goes directly to some tin pot dictator so he can buy a plane and cars. Though these charities may have pay to corrupt officials/police to get to their destinations abroard but there is no escaping that until these countries do get developed and richer/stable. The money those corrupt officials want is often very small too, the equivelent of a few quid here.
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »
    I've had enough of UKIP.

:D

This is just the beginning. UKIP will be second in a lot of constituencies after this election. The main parties will continue to pile up debt and misgovern the country.
    Meanwhile, the euro is still crucifying Southern Europe and anti-EU feeling is growing throughout the continent.
    You are going to see a lot more of UKIP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »
    Because it isn't what's happening, apart from in people's imaginiations and what they heard from some bloke down the pub who couldn't get a job. No one is being told not to employ white British people.

So all this positive discrimination that is widely reported is all emanating from some bloke down the pub? Whilst nobody is not being told directly to not employ white, British people, they are actively encouraged to look more favourable on minorities when employing someone if there are quotas to fill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How do you know that? Don't the Government give the money to Non Government Organisations a lot which are the aid charities like Save The Children, Oxfam etc etc? I think long gone are the days where it goes directly to some tin pot dictator so he can buy a plane and cars. Though these charities may have pay to corrupt officials/police to get to their destinations abroard but there is no escaping that until these countries do get developed and richer/stable. The money those corrupt officials want is often very small too, the equivelent of a few quid here.

I guess I must read stuff or something. I suppose the £15m given to Columbia to tackle flatulence in cows to curb climate change is the new way to pretend it is not for a private jet. How much of the £300m given directly to the Ethopian government trickles down to those who need it? Even David Cameron himself has been on record admitting much of what the DFiD spend is wasted on vanity projects and is only now stopping money going to India, who have enough wealth to fund their own space programme and nuclear weapons.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    UKIP and racism:

The problem is that no matter whether they are or aren't, that's how they are perceived by many. And on election day that's what counts.

The BNP and far right contingent who played an early part in the party have become intertwined in people's minds with the party as they are the most extreme voices and that will stick in the memory banks. Again, it's about perception.

I think if their economic arguments against the EU membership and the conditions that entails had come through Farage working his way up the Conservative ladder and succeeding in becoming an important party figure then it would have been very interesting to see what would have happened. Would the UK be out of the EU by now? Would he never have got anywhere because he is so driven by the EU question and the Conservatives might not want to return to the splits of the early 90s?

I'm open minded on the points of EU membership and the economic arguments. I'd like to see all the evidence first. The loss of culture argument loses me entirely but I don't have a strong national/cultural/ethnic identity of my own perhaps. Or at least, it rests on different things. To be fair, this second argument tends to come more from a section of their voters rather than Farage (that I've heard).

That's just my perspective obviously. It's perspective that matters, I suppose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guess I must read stuff or something. I suppose the £15m given to Columbia to tackle flatulence in cows to curb climate change is the new way to pretend it is not for a private jet. Even David Cameron himself has been on record admitting much of what the DFiD spend is wasted on vanity projects and is only now stopping money going to India, who have enough wealth to fund a space programme.

Or an assumption in general? It does seem though that because there is a target to spend 0.7 of GDP and the GDP changes all the time, quater to quarter, year to year, some money is spent on things that it shouldn't as a result. I'd change it where there is a fixed amount of good money going every year to foreign aid and the department would know well in advance of how much they are going to get as part of the comprehensive spending reviews so they can plan to spend the money better and I'd allow them to cary the money/budgets over into following years if they don't spend it all in any given year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nodger wrote: »
    Interesting article, with an interesting poll result from the visitors to this Independant article / webpage and interesting comments from the posters on said site. I'm actually at little surprised (considering it's the Independant).

There are alot of secret UKIP supporters.

You can see what happens anytime you mention UKIP. Its the same few types though.

I don't believe anyone believes thy are racist. And as for UKIP having some bad eggs, thats nothing new. We've been listening to corruption in parties for years, e.g. expenses scandals, racism, drug and alcohol abuse etc etc.

I think its impossible for any party to control everyone, but focus properly on their policies and they make sense to the man on the street.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Or an assumption in general? It does seem though that because there is a target to spend 0.7 of GDP and the GDP changes all the time, quater to quarter, year to year, some money is spent on things that it shouldn't as a result. I'd change it where there is a fixed amount of good money going every year to foreign aid and the department would know well in advance of how much they are going to get as part of the comprehensive spending reviews so they can plan to spend the money better and I'd allow them to cary the money/budgets over into following years if they don't spend it all in any given year.

Why don't you try researching it yourself if you don't believe me. Even the great anthropologist Bill Gates accepts there is terrible wastage with foreign aid budgets. I'm not denying it does good, but billions every year are either wasted on bureaucracy or not spent as well as they could be. The DFiD came under fire a couple of years ago for giving £1bn to an African country to improve education standards. When it was audited, it was found that most of the kids didn't even have anything remotely approaching even a basic grasp of numeracy and reading comprehension, so where do you think that money went as it clearly wasn't being spent as it was intended.