Backing up photos/files

Hi

Hoping someone can help me....:confused:

I use a laptop and was wondering the best way to store my photos/music/files as a back up in-case something happens to my laptop.

Is it better to get a hard drive or just store them on a usb or is there something else I could buy?

Thanks

S

Comments

• SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    external drive, dvd's, cd's or upload them to a free online storage account.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An online backup solution is a good idea such as Carbonite - http://www.carbonite.com/ that way your backup is offsite incase of a fire or something.

If you go down the route of online storage make sure its from a good company and make sure they encrypt it.
  • sharon7sharon7 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    external drive, dvd's, cd's or upload them to a free online storage account.
    Gormond wrote: »
    An online backup solution is a good idea such as Carbonite - http://www.carbonite.com/ that way your backup is offsite incase of a fire or something.

If you go down the route of online storage make sure its from a good company and make sure they encrypt it.

:)

Wow guys thanks for the quick replies- its really appreciated.I never thought of putting them onto CD/DVD or knew you could store them online...now for the duh question...if its pics/MS Word docs,would I put them onto a DVD or a CD?

Thanks

S
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd use "Acronis True Image Home" and an external HDD (DVD or CD can be used) to backup the entire HDD of your notebook.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sharon7 wrote: »
    :)

Wow guys thanks for the quick replies- its really appreciated.I never thought of putting them onto CD/DVD or knew you could store them online...now for the duh question...if its pics/MS Word docs,would I put them onto a DVD or a CD?

Thanks

S

Doesn't matter, the only difference is how much they can store.

CD - 0.7 GB (700 MB)
    DVD - 4.3 GB (4400 MB)

Select the files you want to copy, right click and select properties, it will tell you how much space they take up.
    Forum Member
    anniebrion wrote: »
    I'd use "Acronis True Image Home" and an external HDD (DVD or CD can be used) to backup the entire HDD of your notebook.
    Doesn't matter, the only difference is how much they can store.

CD - 0.7 GB (700 MB)
    DVD - 4.3 GB (4400 MB)

Select the files you want to copy, right click and select properties, it will tell you how much space they take up.

Thanks for that. I will just save it onto DVD then as a short term solution till I can afford an external HD.

Thanks again guys

:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that. I will just save it onto DVD then as a short term solution till I can afford an external HD.

Thanks again guys

:p

It would also be worth you keeping a DVD off site in case the worst happens, so many people don't do this and end up losing all there files.
    Forum Member
    It would also be worth you keeping a DVD off site in case the worst happens, so many people don't do this and end up losing all there files.

True...I will have to keep one at work. Do you know is its possible to password protect it? Sorry i am a little clueless..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True...I will have to keep one at work. Do you know is its possible to password protect it? Sorry i am a little clueless..

You could copy them to a folder and encrypt it using something like http://www.truecrypt.org and then burn that to DVD. That was it is password protected and encrypted.

Tutorial here - http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/.

You basically make a encrypted container (think of it like a folder that everything you put in is encrypted) and then you copy your files into the container and burn that to a DVD.
  • 100andthirty100andthirty Posts: 445
    Forum Member

And two other golden rules:

1) never just have one back up copy
    2) always check that the backup has worked

good luck
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

good luck

Also to add, DVDs have a terrible lifespan especially if they use a crappy dye so don't assume if it worked that it will still work when you pull it out a drawer in 3 years time.
    Forum Member
    Hi

I never realised how complicated it can get!

Probably need to have a few DVD's and perhaps get it copied onto a flash drive too.

Thanks again everyone

x
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    it's worth mentioning that a back up is a a backup to an original so in order to lose the file you would have to lose the original and the backup.

the backup should no be seen as a replacement to the original.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

good luck
    And above all, remember this saying:

"A backup is only a backup if you can restore from it".