Prisoner Cell Block H

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wha??? :eek: Marie Winter was Prisoner royalty, oh gosh yes she was a much bigger name than Nola or Lou in my opinion

I think thats taking it a bit far tbh. I'd put Nola and Lou higher up than Marie.
  • Ali_CWAli_CW Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Remember when Nola arrived at Wentworth?
    She stepped on the the white line before she was told. She'd been inside before..
    She wore a wig and Joan Ferguson told her to take it off.
    I think she even called herself was it Jean Carter?

For me personally. Nola was a bigger hitter in Prisoner.
    Though further on from that Ruth Ballinger really annoyed!
    It was the swagger!

I clicked on the link left earlier in with regards to Val Lehman appearing in Grease on stage.
    She has appeared much on stage. She looks really well.

Patsy King looks great. She is one of my favourites. She is in the top best 5. That top best 5 is getting bigger!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I think thats taking it a bit far tbh. I'd put Nola and Lou higher up than Marie.

Well that's my opinion and I how I see it, we all have a different outlook on it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's my opinion and I how I see it, we all have a different outlook on it

Absolutely and if you think shes a bigger character then Lou or Nola thats ur right.

But the way i see it Nola MURDERED Paddy before she'd even done 10 episodes on the show, she took on Bea and proved to be her deadliest enemy inmate wise. She had a highly memorable death shot by Bea.

;Lou had hundrerds of great moments but her episode 600/601 riot alone gives her legendary status. The cold blooded hanging of Eve was one of Prisoners most shocking and brutal scenes.

Marie appears for Bea's stint at Barnehurst which i enjoyed but in all honesty i don't quite get the fuss about these episodes.They were good but there are better episodes. She next appears during the sandy/kate era, she plays an important part here no denying this but Kate steals the show during this period. Marie doesn't seem to have much conflict with Bea during this time either. When she appears for the third and last time she starts a riot that is the weakest riot of the series. However teaming up with Ferguson and even blackmailing her and slapping her accross the face plus pushing Kean down the stairs was classic prisoner and of course the unforgettable helicopter escape was her golden moment and secured her place as a prisoner legend. All in all she was a great character but bigger than Nola and Lou? I personally don't think so but its all down to opinion
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Couldn't get on with the Wentworth programme: too grim and graphic for me. I think I may start watching Prisoner again as it was 'charming' in its own way and reminds me of being 18 in the late 80s when it was shown on ITV over the weekend.
    Forum Member
    Couldn't get on with the Wentworth programme: too grim and graphic for me. I think I may start watching Prisoner again as it was 'charming' in its own way and reminds me of being 18 in the late 80s when it was shown on ITV over the weekend.

It does have a 'charm' to it. It is ofcourse set in and around a prison but has something cosy about it! I think it is the humour that runs through it. Which was unique.

I watched a random episode only recently.

It was episode 212. Some of the lines in that episode Lizzie spoke are just funny. She knew how to deliver them. The whole episode was one of those Prisoner episodes that tick nearly all the boxes!
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Ali_CW wrote: »
    It does have a 'charm' to it. It is ofcourse set in and around a prison but has something cosy about it! I think it is the humour that runs through it. Which was unique.

I watched a random episode only recently.

It was episode 212. Some of the lines in that episode Lizzie spoke are just funny. She knew how to deliver them. The whole episode was one of those Prisoner episodes that tick nearly all the boxes!

Awww...Lizzie Birdsworth! who was conniving and could be quite brutal if caught up in the rage of the crowd but covered it up with a 'sweet naive old lady' persona. Of course she introduced such phrases such as: 'Ripper'!, 'you beaut/y', 'fair dinkum', 'grogg', 'crook', you mongrel' etc to an unsuspecting UK audience. :)
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awww...Lizzie Birdsworth! who was conniving and could be quite brutal if caught up in the rage of the crowd but covered it up with a 'sweet naive old lady' persona. Of course she introduced such phrases such as: 'Ripper'!, 'you beaut/y', 'fair dinkum', 'grogg', 'crook', you mongrel' etc to an unsuspecting UK audience. :)

It's quite surprising watching some of the very early episodes - Lizzie is quite vicious and aggressive. I put that down to the writers and actress not quite having a handle on the character at the beginning. Later on she lost the brutal edge and even in riot situations, she would be the apologetic one. I always remember her waving a white flag at the end of a riot later in the series - the flag being a pair of her bloomers on a stick!
    Forum Member
    Interesting to note that since Wentworth Prison has started. How many people say they watched Prisoner Cell Block H.
    They can list a whole host of characters.

One person who I know through work said her elder son said he never watched it but knew some of the storylines and many characters!

I think Prisoner Cell Block H has took on a new shade.
    It's all good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    It's quite surprising watching some of the very early episodes - Lizzie is quite vicious and aggressive. I put that down to the writers and actress not quite having a handle on the character at the beginning. Later on she lost the brutal edge and even in riot situations, she would be the apologetic one. I always remember her waving a white flag at the end of a riot later in the series - the flag being a pair of her bloomers on a stick!

Yeah like in ep1 when she laughs at Bea slamming the press on Lynn's hand
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Absolutely and if you think shes a bigger character then Lou or Nola thats ur right.

But the way i see it Nola MURDERED Paddy before she'd even done 10 episodes on the show, she took on Bea and proved to be her deadliest enemy inmate wise. She had a highly memorable death shot by Bea.

;Lou had hundrerds of great moments but her episode 600/601 riot alone gives her legendary status. The cold blooded hanging of Eve was one of Prisoners most shocking and brutal scenes.

Marie appears for Bea's stint at Barnehurst which i enjoyed but in all honesty i don't quite get the fuss about these episodes.They were good but there are better episodes. She next appears during the sandy/kate era, she plays an important part here no denying this but Kate steals the show during this period. Marie doesn't seem to have much conflict with Bea during this time either. When she appears for the third and last time she starts a riot that is the weakest riot of the series. However teaming up with Ferguson and even blackmailing her and slapping her accross the face plus pushing Kean down the stairs was classic prisoner and of course the unforgettable helicopter escape was her golden moment and secured her place as a prisoner legend. All in all she was a great character but bigger than Nola and Lou? I personally don't think so but its all down to opinion

I just thought this as she was always mentioned with a tone of fear and sort of revered - if you know what I mean. She was known far and wide from Barnhurst, Wentworth and Blackmoor.

I have to say though Nola was my personal favourite baddie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pamela Madigan - brilliant character and a hidden treat in the last few months of the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pamela Madigan - brilliant character and a hidden treat in the last few months of the show.

Yes i liked her, the friendship with Ann was sweet. They should have kept her in until the end really.

One thing i wondered though about those final episodes after about 640ish was the show desperate to shock to pull in new viewers at this point? The boat storyline, Sarah West racism storyline and Rita at Blackmoor all seemed like the type of things a show does when it knows its on the way out and tries to claw back some viewers by bringing in outrageous or shocking storylines . Why did the show wait that long to bring in black characters? They could have brought them in at any time during the run they wait until right at the very end (unless you count Marilyns pimp in episode 9 or whatever it was:D) It just seemed they were doing it for shocks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I agree, Craven and Blackmoor, as much as I loved those episodes, it did seem like they were brought in to shock. Didn't quite get the whole boat thing.

Pamela and Sarah were great, though Sarah seemed to be more racist than any of the other prisoners.

I was glad Alice switched sides but sometimes she and Rita annoyed me - Alice sometimes cringe worthily worshipped Rita "she's the best top dog this place ever had" and some times she came across really over the top stupid. But then, there were some great times when Alice and Rita were amazing, and they really did have a strong friendship.

I'm in the minority I think when I say I wasn't overly impressed with Rita for the majority of her episodes. She developed well though later on and her final scenes with Nancy were quite moving.
  • zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really need to start watching some episodes again, it's been over a Month :eek::eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really need to start watching some episodes again, it's been over a Month :eek::eek:

I know I wondered where you had gone.

So, to welcome u back, I'm gonna give u a topic to debate over - who is the better villain, Nola or Sonia?

Discuss
  • zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I wondered where you had gone.

So, to welcome u back, I'm gonna give u a topic to debate over - who is the better villain, Nola or Sonia?

Discuss

Thank you :). Well that's difficult, I definitely prefer the character of Sonia, she's in my Top 10. But I think Nola was the better villain, her coldblooded murder of Paddy is one of the worst deaths in the Series:cry:.

So overall in my opinion Nola is the better villain, but Sonia the better character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you :). Well that's difficult, I definitely prefer the character of Sonia, she's in my Top 10. But I think Nola was the better villain, her coldblooded murder of Paddy is one of the worst deaths in the Series:cry:.

So overall in my opinion Nola is the better villain, but Sonia the better character.

I like your style.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if Nola or Sonia will turn up in Wentworth
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have we all deserted Cell Block?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if Nola or Sonia will turn up in Wentworth

I think the scriptwriters will bring them in if the series lasts that long, which I really hope it does. It's got a bit to go yet before the two above start appearing. I really hope this series lasts as long as the original did. I can't see it lasting any longer than the original because if this makes it to the last storyline of the original, what then? Unless the scriptwriters take a chance and start making up storylines and hope for the best. Still, there's no need to 'worry' about this yet, Wentworth has 7 years to go, just like Prisoner Cell Block H had. I really hope it lasts the distance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I think the scriptwriters will bring them in if the series lasts that long, which I really hope it does. It's got a bit to go yet before the two above start appearing. I really hope this series lasts as long as the original did. I can't see it lasting any longer than the original because if this makes it to the last storyline of the original, what then? Unless the scriptwriters take a chance and start making up storylines and hope for the best. Still, there's no need to 'worry' about this yet, Wentworth has 7 years to go, just like Prisoner Cell Block H had. I really hope it lasts the distance.

Well, its hardly copying the original in every single detail now is it?! It even seems Ferguson may turn up in Series 2 (it took 287 episodes in the original)

I think Wentworth intends to go its own way, but is (very) loosely basing itself on the original.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love in Wentworth how Jacs seems to have her own version of Lil and Bev or Lil and Jacko
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love in Wentworth how Jacs seems to have her own version of Lil and Bev or Lil and Jacko

I liked it when Jacs gave Angela Hamilton from Sons & Daughters a slap across the face :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reliving Sandy Edwards and Kate Peterson....fab era!