"Across the UK on DAB"

Replacing Smooth 70s?
  • MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Across the UK on DAB"

Replacing Smooth 70s?

That and possibly on the 'now' Real XS.

Avicii & Craig David are on the line-up of new presenters for the station. Will this be the next Galaxy FM?
  • NokiaNokiaNokiaNokia Posts: 1,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    96.9 Choice FM, the South London incremental radio station certainly has evolved over the years!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    So is the Choice's old FM slots now broadcasting "Capital Xtra is coming" etc? Did the breakfast this morning say it was the last on "Choice"?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    You can hear a 20 minute preview of the new service.

...not a fan!
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Global's reaction to Kiss going on d1?
    anoradio wrote: »
    You can hear a 20 minute preview of the new service.

...not a fan!
    Strangely starts with Daft Punk a group which Smooth (and many other stations) played! But not Choice!
    http://comparemyradio.com/stations/Choice_FM/artists

Many are not happy
    http://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/choice-fm-becomes-capital-xtra
    But a well-placed industry source revealed how station bosses frantically called DJs last night and summoned them to a meeting early this morning when they broke the news.

As well as the loss of the iconic name, a number of well-loved Choice DJs have lost their jobs.

The first to be axed was reggae veteran Daddy Ernie who said via Twitter: “Just to let you the public who has supported Superjam for 24yrs as from today I will no longer be part of Capital XTRA moving forward. Shame.”

The DJ had earned the credit of heading the first and only five-day reggae show outside the Caribbean on legal radio.

Others who have been pushed out include popular personalities Martin Jay, Natty B and DJ KC who announced the changes on social media.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if 1 xtra might pick up more listeners?
  • x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this on the website:
    Who will the presenters be?

As well as all of your favourite shows from Choice FM, including Kojo & Jade and Abrantee, Capital Xtra will feature brand new talent like Tim Westwood, Craig David and superstar DJ Avicii.

Westwood new talent? He's been in the game longer than anyone else on Choice.
    Listening to that preview it sounds very much like Capital minus The Wanted & Lawson to me. Why is there now 3 stations in London carrying the same playlist?
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Strangely starts with Daft Punk a group which Smooth (and many other stations) played! But not Choice!
    http://comparemyradio.com/stations/Choice_FM/artists

Daft Punk and Avicii? Isn't that what Capital already does?

I welcome any new dance music station but this seems to be replicating what's already available on the main station. As for the term "Urban Dance", I would use that to describe garage, bassline, dubstep and that kind of thing. Not Avicii and Daft Punk.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »

I doubt it was rushed forward as The Voice claims but it doesn't seem as phased as the rebranding to Heart and Capital was. Reminds me a bit of the Capital revamp of Xfm back in 1998.

Shame to see the end of Choice but I can totally understand why Global are doing what they are doing. Look forward to hearing more about the station.
  • pepstarpepstar Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds good to me, however I think D1 is crammed now... time for D2?
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    j10cool10 wrote: »
    So is the Choice's old FM slots now broadcasting "Capital Xtra is coming" etc? Did the breakfast this morning say it was the last on "Choice"?

Seems to be automated now.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,843
    Forum Member
    102.2 FM in Brum used to be Choice, wonder if Cap Xtra would have fitted in well there
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bad news for someone who has been listening to choice for 15+ years.

The channel is slowly morphing into kiss. I don't mind dance, but it really irritates me on kiss when they cut out half the rap verses like the audience is too stupid to listen to it. Hope this doesn't happen on choice.
    Also Craig David is just terrible. He literally sings over every single song, it's the most moronic thing on radio today and that's saying something.
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That and possibly on the 'now' Real XS.

Avicii & Craig David are on the line-up of new presenters for the station. Will this be the next Galaxy FM?

Nope as Global would not have any idea how to do a dance station. Let's face it this will be capital without the cheezy bands and more R&B and no reggae music gutted. It will be a kiss with a different name lol
  • R.O.R.R.O.R. Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I guess it was inevitable they would want to pay more attention to an "under-performing asset." But then again, you could argue if Global didn't want Choice, why didn't it just sell it someone who does? Ditto XFM.

According the article in The Voice, the terms of the Choice licence call for: “a targeted music, news and information service primarily for listeners of African and Afro-Caribbean origin in the Brixton area but with cross-over appeal to other listeners who appreciate urban contemporary black music.”

Surely now it's: "primarily cross-over appeal to listeners who appreciate urban contemporary black music, with some targeted music, news and information service for listeners of African and Afro-Caribbean origin."

In the rave days, when it was all white boys with glow sticks, you probably couldn't got away with any dance music under the terms of service. I for one will miss Daddy Ernie, but as Kiss' treatment of Rodigan proved, the commercial sector doesn't place much importance on reggae.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They seem to have changed be playlist. A horrific song is on at the moment (roller coaster by skream). The last 8 songs have had one song each by Kendrick and drake, the rest all dance garbage. Even Kiss wouldn't play this type of music. Terrible. Might have to look into getting DAB in the car for 1 extra. My work involves being in a car several hours a day so this a pretty big deal
  • Rob793Rob793 Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if this means the end of Chill or The Arrow, as their space on D1 will guarantee a renewal of their FM licences.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope this doesn't raise Daddy Ernie's blood pressure too much!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    The Capital Xtra website teases "Craig David and superstar DJ Avicii", haven't both of these been announced for shows on Capital FM?

Do you think these shows will just move over to Xtra to be used by both stations?
  • hotguy25hotguy25 Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    craig david has only just left kiss
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a crap name.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pepstar wrote: »
    Sounds good to me, however I think D1 is crammed now... time for D2?

Definatley. I'd love to know how they intend to shoehorn this in. Will Classic FM's bit rate be dropping?

Unless they intend to just use loads of local MUXs- maybe in place of Capital itself. So Capital on FM, Capital Xtra on DAB?
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BMR wrote: »
    Definatley. I'd love to know how they intend to shoehorn this in. Will Classic FM's bit rate be dropping?

Unless they intend to just use loads of local MUXs- maybe in place of Capital itself. So Capital on FM, Capital Xtra on DAB?

It's a straight swap, Capital Xtra for Smooth 70s on D1.

It shouldn't affect any other stations.