Hollyoaks | E4 | 9/1/14 | John Paul faces a tough ordeal

Comments

• RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good acting from James Sutton.

I'm guessing Ste will soon find out about this.
  • trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    Really depressing episode of Hollyoaks.
  • GabriellaGabriella Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing episode! Great acting all round and I knew there would be an explanation for John Paul not being able to fight back. I didn't know how they would take a second go with male rape and it be different from Luke's but this is done well in a different way. Well done to the writers and actors involved. So sad for Paul and Flinn is obviously very messed up.
  • paton1983paton1983 Posts: 2,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That episode was so much better than I thought it might be. James Sutton's acting was superb considering he had very little dialogue.
  • becsiebecsie Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that was very well done. they have worked with people behind the scenes to do this storyline.

I am glad he went to the police and i liked Sam in those scenes. It is frustrating finn is getting away with it at the moment but there surely must be more to come.

I liked the direction as well. Just silence in the background made it more eerie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James is really good at crying scenes (he's had a lot of practice ;-)) so I kind of expected they'd show him breaking down, maybe crying on Ste's shoulder at the end etc. I'm glad they went for a shocked reaction instead. I actually felt it was more realistic in a way though I do wonder if it will attract criticism from people saying JP didn't seem shocked/traumatized enough?

I would have liked to have seen a glimmer of guilt or even shock from Finn about what he'd done.

Really depressing episode but really well done I think.
  • thejudefam30thejudefam30 Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    ok i'll ask again does john paul have a disease
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    I would like to see JP tell Phoebe but not mention who did it as she has been through similar she could then talk to Robbie as part of their storyline and he puts 2 & 2 together and has a chance to redeem his character.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Reo wrote: »
    But wouldn't they have taken JPs clothes are soon as he got to the hospital? Sam said that if JP had a shower then they would lose the evidence, but nothing about his clothes. Why was he allowed to leave with them?

They were very careful to make sure that he was in control at all times (as rape is all about taking away someone's power) so they would never 'not allow' JP to do something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member

I doubt it - it hasn't been mentioned so far. If you're referring to the marks on his chest, those were likely to be bruises from Finn's attack.
  • adenbelle09adenbelle09 Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Gabriella wrote: »
    Amazing episode! Great acting all round and I knew there would be an explanation for John Paul not being able to fight back. I didn't know how they would take a second go with male rape and it be different from Luke's but this is done well in a different way. Well done to the writers and actors involved. So sad for Paul and Flinn is obviously very messed up.

explanation?
  • ReoReo Posts: 8,661
    Forum Member
    Notmesilas wrote: »
    They were very careful to make sure that he was in control at all times (as rape is all about taking away someone's power) so they would never 'not allow' JP to do something.

I see your point, but they didn't even mention it. They wouldn't have waited until JP told them he would give him his clothes, they would have asked JP for them and explained why they needed them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    explanation?

Well after being clocked on the head with statue and then kicked like that, he wouldn't have been in any shape to put up much of a fight.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I read that James didn't want JP to be crying all the time and was going to play it like he was going to try and get on with his life but on the inside he is breaking. I guess he'll break down at some point though.
  • cmazzacmazza Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was a great episode, good acting.
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,211
    Forum Member
    vonyoda wrote: »
    I would like to see JP tell Phoebe but not mention who did it as she has been through similar she could then talk to Robbie as part of their storyline and he puts 2 & 2 together and has a chance to redeem his character.

Would she mention it to him though? I could see JP talking to her as she has been through it but I don't think she'd ever mention it to anyone else. This does seem to be a storyline that will redeem Robbie as I'm guessing he finds out somehow and matches the time up
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't think so. But can't be sure considering he didn't go through with the tests.
  • GoosebeeGoosebee Posts: 5,291
    Forum Member
    Not seen the episode yet. But if JP went to the poloce did he not tell them it was finn? Surely finn should be arrested straight away. ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    nats18 wrote: »
    Would she mention it to him though? I could see JP talking to her as she has been through it but I don't think she'd ever mention it to anyone else. This does seem to be a storyline that will redeem Robbie as I'm guessing he finds out somehow and matches the time up

Possibly in anger if they had an argument after Robbie said something nasty about him? I don't really know but he needs to be the one to figure it out I reckon, was actually thinking that it wasn't going to be a long storyline and JP was going to spill all to the police but for the last minute swerve.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant ep, the scenes were good and it does look like they researched it well. I'm glad the ep just focused on this sl.

James acting was brilliant, I was expecting to see him break down but I liked the shocked reaction. The scenes when you just saw him lying on the floor with tears in his eyes was chilling.

Finn was just happy that he had taken control of the situation, happy that he humiliated JP.

The scene with baby Matthew at the end and JP looking in the mirror was really sad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goosebee wrote: »
    Not seen the episode yet. But if JP went to the poloce did he not tell them it was finn? Surely finn should be arrested straight away. ...

He didn't tell them he just told them he was raped. They didn't force him to do anything, it was good the way they did it.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you imagine how cringey those scenes would have been if NuSonny had been on duty?

'You woz sexually assaulted innit?' (Face like he's just ate a sour yoghurt)

In all seriousness, amazing episode, great acting from all involved (particularly James Sutton, Lizzie Roper and Keith Rice) and amazing writing, not surprised as Jessica Lea has written some outstanding episodes including the suicide attempt ep last year IIRC
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unclekevo wrote: »
    Can you imagine how cringey those scenes would have been if NuSonny had been on duty?

'You woz sexually assaulted innit?' (Face like he's just ate a sour yoghurt)

In all seriousness, amazing episode, great acting from all involved (particularly James Sutton, Lizzie Roper and Keith Rice) and amazing writing, not surprised as Jessica Lea has written some outstanding episodes including the suicide attempt ep last year IIRC

It's best not to think about NuSonny trying to do those scenes.
    Usually I find Sam annoying as a cop but tonight I liked her involvement.

I feel so sorry for JP, the scenes were heartbreaking you could tell how traumatized he was :( James and Keith have been brilliant.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    How long before JP is getting comfort sex from Ste?

I don't think gay men are allowed to be just friends on HO, sex has to play a part at some point.
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,209
    Forum Member
    avaconrad wrote: »
    Does Sam get involved in every case going ?

Same could be said of Jim