HO: Irresponsible Choices (JP-related...)

Winchester_Winchester_ Posts: 135
Forum Member
Really, JP? Withhold the name of your attacker? Fail to provide DNA evidence and hamper the investigation? Now, no justice will be served by putting that vile child behind bars.:o

Comments

• hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are they gonna keep the plot going otherwise?:cool:
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    We have been told numerous times that this story will continue for a long time. It can't wrap up in one episode otherwise it wouldn't be a storyLINE. Finn will get his comeuppance one day.
  • Winchester_Winchester_ Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Good point made.;-)

Now, that I think about it, John Paul has always been one to bask in his own suffering. He allowed Frankie's son to emotionally abuse him for ages and chose him over two men who put him first (Spike/Father Kieron), so I suppose this is par for the course for JP.
  • paton1983paton1983 Posts: 2,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was pretty well representative of how some react in real life. He is still in a state of shock so obviously not thinking clearly.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it was quite refreshing to see a character in a soap go straight to the police.
    He was obviously in shock and, unfortunately it's realistic, just wanted to go home and try to forget about it.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I think it was quite refreshing to see a character in a soap go straight to the police.
    He was obviously in shock and, unfortunately it's realistic, just wanted to go home and try to forget about it.

Yes it was, James is a brilliant actor you could sense everything jp was feeling :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    Yes it was, James is a brilliant actor you could sense everything jp was feeling :(

Yeh, James didn't need words to tell the viewers exactly what JP was feeling. It was incredible acting.
  • trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    Really, JP? Withhold the name of your attacker? Fail to provide DNA evidence and hamper the investigation? Now, no justice will be served by putting that vile child behind bars.:o

I think he was ashamed that basically a young boy raped him, but yeah too bad he wasn't more forthcoming. At least he went to the police right away, but I think they want to lengthen the storyline.
  • bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Refreshing that he went to the police. Stupid and cliched that he then ran out.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member

Whilst of course full disclosure is the sensible thing to do, what victims are constantly advised to do, it won't be that easy in practise. You could see he was she'll shocked and as gentle as they are, the questioning and physical examination can seem like another assault and also there is the knowledge that a process is starting that will go on for minths, maybe years with court appearances, plus he has it affecting his career as it was a student.

I can understand why someone would just want to go home, get 'clean' and try and put it behind them. Indeed I have friends that have been raped that have done just that.
    Forum Member
    The lack of DNA evidence will be a problem but at least they did see him straight afterwards, clearly in shock and with a visible head wound. That will at least support that the attack happened when he decides to confront it in months to come though proving it was Finn will be harder, if not impossible. At least they will have Dirk's evidence that Finn was there whilst he was searching the grounds with Robbie and that they returned to the scene of the crime later that night.
  • sderr123sderr123 Posts: 13,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leaving isn't a withdrawal of the case. Not having DNA will hamper the case a bit but reporting to the police on the day it happened very important. I think people get the wrong idea about DNA evidence anyway. If JP had stayed there is no guarantee that there would be DNA evidence of sexual contact. There might only evidence of physical contact and then you would have to look at all the evidence in context. Or there is a possibility of no real DNA evidence at all. That happens all the time.

People were convicted of crimes before DNA evidence was available. Very rarely will the police ever have a smoking gun where there isn't any doubt who committed a crime. The standard is beyond a reasonable doubt not beyond any doubt. The problem is people are requiring more to convict.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how it will come out?? I'm hoping the swab they took has traces of DNA, so when JP comes to report it again they can arrest Finn.
  • StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member

Really, victim blaming? Is that not also irresponsible?
    Forum Member
    I wonder how it will come out?? I'm hoping the swab they took has traces of DNA, so when JP comes to report it again they can arrest Finn.

I suspect that there won't be concrete evidence and it will be circumstantial. Dirk saying Finn and Robbie were acting suspiciously and we're on sight to get the statue, Finn having burnt his clothes (how is he going to explain that to Diane), Robbie thinking his attitude changed but nothing to prove it beyond doubt. $

That way they can keep the village split on it with some people believing Finn and others John Paul.

One thought though - is there no CCTV at schools these days? At the entrance if not the actual class rooms.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I suspect that there won't be concrete evidence and it will be circumstantial. Dirk saying Finn and Robbie were acting suspiciously and we're on sight to get the statue, Finn having burnt his clothes (how is he going to explain that to Diane), Robbie thinking his attitude changed but nothing to prove it beyond doubt. $

That way they can keep the village split on it with some people believing Finn and others John Paul.

One thought though - is there no CCTV at schools these days? At the entrance if not the actual class rooms.

Yeh you're probably right about the swabs. Someone's probably going to catch Finn looking for a uniform in the lost property, and the thing with Dirk seeing them and maybe the possible traces of dna might be evidence (not sure it will be enough). It will be interesting to see how its revealed.

I think there's cctv outside the school, not sure if there's any inside the school.
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeh you're probably right about the swabs. Someone's probably going to catch Finn looking for a uniform in the lost property, and the thing with Dirk seeing them and maybe the possible traces of dna might be evidence (not sure it will be enough). It will be interesting to see how its revealed.

I think there's cctv outside the school, not sure if there's any inside the school.

If Finn did ejaculate in him, there might have been semen traces, that should be enough evidence!
    Forum Member
    benbenalen wrote: »
    If Finn did ejaculate in him, there might have been semen traces, that should be enough evidence!

That intercourse had taken place - not that it was non consensual.

However, I think he left before the swab could be taken. There is also a chance (though i'd say it is a small one) that he withdraw prior to that point. Penetration doesn't have to equal ejaculation as you intimated.

The CCTV outside the school might at least place Finn there at the time - it would have him following John-Paul in leaving Dirk and Robbie outside. Also, it would show him returning later that night but it is al circumstantial.
  • Tweety PieTweety Pie Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely amazing acting by James Sutton in the aftermath episode. My heart went out to him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    However, I think he left before the swab could be taken.

Nope. The woman who was examining him said "That's the first swab done" so I would wager that's a Chekov's Gun and it ends up being significant somewhere down the line. As you rightly pointed out though, whether it conclusively proves rape (along with the rest of the examination that they managed to do) will remain to be seen. It could be what leads to Finn finally getting caught or it could be something that stirs up debate within the village about whether it was consensual or not, like with Jacqui and Gilly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about his shoes, could that be evidence?? (They kept showing it last night)
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about his shoes, could that be evidence?? (They kept showing it last night)

The fundamental problem with this plot is that this is a soap. The producers want to inform the audience about an important topic but they also want to stretch it out as long as possible. This means that the evidence is going to disappear (eg the boys getting rid of the statuette) and Nana washing his clothes. JP having slept on it probably wants to cooperate fully. Now it looks like he will go straight back into school the next day and have to face his attacker. I find that very hard to believe.

Another problem is the timeslot. I have already read a post from a dad who had to explain to a 12 year old what male rape is. Many kids nowadays are sexually active and aware but many are not. Regardless of who people think should be watching we all know that even the watershed doesn't work in the digital age: if someone wants to watch they will. That doesn't mean the producers can go into great details.

I just think that this is the wrong format to address such a difficult subject with the need to entertain and inform while not upsetting young kids.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I think that was symbolic. He noticed that his shoe lace wasn't done up and had to put that right. I think it was symbolising that he felt so out of control but he could fix his shoelace and put that back the way it should be. Hope that makes sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I think that was symbolic. He noticed that his shoe lace wasn't done up and had to put that right. I think it was symbolising that he felt so out of control but he could fix his shoelace and put that back the way it should be. Hope that makes sense.

Yeh it does :) I feel so sorry for JP I knew James was going to be amazing in this sl, so far he has proved that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeh it does :) I feel so sorry for JP I knew James was going to be amazing in this sl, so far he has proved that.

I agree. I always knew James would not struggle with what is needed for such a storyline because he is great at portraying emotion - whether that be crying or the pain he was going through in his head that we saw last night.