Doesn't It Seem Like There Are Far More Gay Men Than Lesbians?

ABCWarriorABCWarrior Posts: 646
Forum Member
✭✭
That can't be right, surely? And don't think I'm prejudiced, one of my brothers is gay, I've always had gay and lesbian friends - but I just realised that there seems to be like 10 gay guys for every lesbian. Are the numbers roughly the same, or are there indeed more gay men than women? Or are the men more likely to be open and 'out there'? Just curious, homophobes please do not pollute this thread with any of your nonsense.

Comments

• davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ABCWarrior wrote: »
    I just realised that there seems to be like 10 gay guys for every lesbian.

Could you expand on your research methodology please? Have you been standing in a shopping centre with a clipboard?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads of women have told me they are lesbians...
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, I agree. I haven't done any research but I was chatting to a couple of my friend's gay male housemates and they felt the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not on my hard drive, there isn't
  • deev1ne0nedeev1ne0ne Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads of women have told me they are lesbians...

:D:D:D
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That can't be right, surely? And don't think I'm prejudiced, one of my brothers is gay, I've always had gay and lesbian friends - but I just realised that there seems to be like 10 gay guys for every lesbian. Are the numbers roughly the same, or are there indeed more gay men than women? Or are the men more likely to be open and 'out there'? Just curious, homophobes please do not pollute this thread with any of your nonsense.

Have you thought that gay men might have more a reason to talk to you, whereas you offer little that a lesbian would want?
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    That can't be right, surely?

Not being sarky, but why should the number of gay men have any correlation at all with the number of gay women?

I'm scared by "surely" .... :eek:
  • ABCWarriorABCWarrior Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Not being sarky, but why should the number of gay men have any correlation at all with the number of gay women?

I'm scared by "surely" .... :eek:

I would have just thought numbers were roughly the same - and more importantly I've never read that there are more gay men than women, so assumed numbers were equall-ish. I think most people think this, maybe I'm wrong. I don't care if they are or they aren't, I'm just curious - clear enough for you? You have nothing to be scared of, it seems like you are trying to pin something on me or my motivations in asking. If so, don't waste your time.
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's because the gays are more entertaining than the lesbians.
  • PaleHorsePaleHorse Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    Well if you look for them, of course it'll seem like there are more!
  • scar_tissuescar_tissue Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, especially on here. Although gay men have more distinctive characteristics. Maybe its cos men are better looking. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing that lesbians would be far more likely to keep their private lives to themselves as far as men are concerned.

What I mean is, gay men actively go out and seek straight women friends, and many women love their company, but lesbian women aren't as likely to seek out close straight male friends.

Maybe cause they think the man will either be secretly wondering, or even just come outright and ask, something like 'what exactly do you do, then?' :D

Whereas gay men probably love telling their girl friends all about their sex lives anyway, so there's no uncomfortable barrier.

(*based on the fact that I had a work colleague who I knew for ten years before realising she was into women, I thought she was just shy :D)
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, especially on here. Although gay men have more distinctive characteristics. Maybe its cos men are better looking. :D

What I have heard from real research, is women in general have more personality types than men. It would follow that lesbians are harder to spot through stereotyping if so.

Someone once told me "if you know one man you know them all, if you know one women; you know one woman." I think it's true.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing that lesbians would be far more likely to keep their private lives to themselves as far as men are concerned.

What I mean is, gay men actively go out and seek straight women friends, and many women love their company, but lesbian women aren't as likely to seek out close straight male friends.

Maybe cause they think the man will either be secretly wondering, or even just come outright and ask, something like 'what exactly do you do, then?' :D

Whereas gay men probably love telling their girl friends all about their sex lives anyway, so there's no uncomfortable barrier.

(*based on the fact that I had a work colleague who I knew for ten years before realising she was into women, I thought she was just shy :D)

Really I don't actively seek straight female friends. In fact I don't actually like it, not my bag. Too many hang ups. I am ay by the way.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I guess it depends who you hang out with. I know far more lesbians than I do gay guys.
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    daisiesfan wrote: »
    It's because the gays are more entertaining than the lesbians.

Are they? ;)
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I know a few lesbians and they seem to have all been together if not just shagged each other at some point...Maybe there aren't enough to go round?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dont call me Shirley.
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    bugloss wrote: »
    not on my hard drive, there isn't

Too much info.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I feel like this is true and I'm a lesbian myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    I guess it depends who you hang out with. I know far more lesbians than I do gay guys.

Fair enough. I know lots of women with gay male friends, who don't seem to mind a gay man telling them 'oh your bum looks fat in that, you look terrible!', but if a straight guy or one of their girlfriends said the same thing they'd be mortally offended... :D
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We breed! ;)
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously this is just in my experience and not backed up by anything at all, but it seems like women are more likely to identify as bisexual, whereas men, more often if they're not STRAIGHT then they're GAY. So maybe there are more gay men than gay women, but more bisexual women than bisexual men?
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    Obviously this is just in my experience and not backed up by anything at all, but it seems like women are more likely to identify as bisexual, whereas men, more often if they're not STRAIGHT then they're GAY. So maybe there are more gay men than gay women, but more bisexual women than bisexual men?

I think that's how society sees them rather than how they identify.
    Everything is viewed through the eyes of a straight man, one who wants to shag lesbians but doesn't trust a bisexual man.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps lesbians should wear a sign round their necks so we can more clearly identify them? :o