Should tattoo's be removed for free by the NHS in the future

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
Forum Member
✭✭
As pointed out by another poster I'm sure this is going to happen.

Will the government back this Free Tatt removal service in the future as a Back to work initiative?

Comments

• Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if you're like that brummy skull face prat.

Otherwise, I don't see tattoos as a barrier to getting work? Slightly Victorian outlook there?
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they should not.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they give my husband his knee replacement and stop saying it would be cheaper to remove his leg above the knee I will come back to this thread and vote yes but until they have enough money to make him pain free I will be saying no.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    If they give my husband his knee replacement and stop saying it would be cheaper to remove his leg above the knee I will come back to this thread and vote yes but until they have enough money to make him pain free I will be saying no.

Is his knee tattooed on? :confused:
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    What a waste of money that would be for the NHS
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, unless you were tattooed against your will by a slave trader, you chose to get a tattoo, if you don't like it now and want it removed, you can pay for it.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Definitely not.
  • FrightfulBoarFrightfulBoar Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though it's their own choice to live the sort of lifestyle that may end in getting tattooed we'll end up paying for it on via the NHS because otherwise we'll be infringing on their rights to make decisions about their own body.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope. Considering you have to be over 18 to get them done why should the nhs pay for a non medical procedure to put right another adults poor choice.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if you're like that brummy skull face prat.

Otherwise, I don't see tattoos as a barrier to getting work? Slightly Victorian outlook there?
    It shouldn't be a barrier and isn't in most manual type work but there is an immediate prejudice and assumption about the person in white collar jobs.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is his knee tattooed on? :confused:

Considering the pain he goes through everyday to carry on working that comment is very unfunny indeed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Only the really REALLY ugly ones.
  • FrightfulBoarFrightfulBoar Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Nope. Considering you have to be over 18 to get them done why should the nhs pay for a non medical procedure to put right another adults poor choice.

Or even a medical procedure.

I'm sick of NHS money being wasted on fatties and loose women.

Pay for your own mistakes!
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is never going to be a serious suggestion let alone a reality... :D
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Certainly not, it was the person's choice to get a tattoo they should pay for the removal themselves.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely not. I've got a couple of tattoos and it was entirely my choice to get them and I wouldn't expect anyone to pay for their removal. They're on my upper arms though so likely wouldn't ever be an issue in a work environment anyway.

If you choose to have a visible tattoo and it starts to affect your employment chances, it's entirely down to you to get rid of it.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    In certain circumstances it's probably reasonable, but most of the time, no.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Considering the pain he goes through everyday to carry on working that comment is very unfunny indeed.

I was only yanking your chain :)
  • FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No simple answer :)
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course not. People chose to get tattoos. They should only have them removed for free if they were kidnapped and forcibly tattood.
  • ImperfectPearlsImperfectPearls Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely not. There are far more important things the NHS should be paying for. If you pay to have a tattoo then you pay to remove a tattoo.
  • UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No definitely not. If people make the choice to have tattoos then it is up to them to pay for their removal if they should choose. The Nhs have enough to pay for. If everyone if Britain were getting the treatment they needed (e.g. Molliepops husbands knee op) then maybe. This is never going to happen so no.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Tattoos are not a barrier to work, I've been in the Royal Mardsen several times and there's one doctor/nurse there with sleeve tattoos and they've worn the short sleeved scrubs before.

My cousin works another hospital and he's covered in them, another one is a trainee teacher and he's got a visible ones.

I have a few myself and no one has ever cited tattoos as against their policy anymore than they've asked me to take out earrings or tie my long hair back.

If I wanted one removed, Of course I'd automatically pay for it myself, it was my tattoo, so...
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. They chose to have them, they can pay to have them removed.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they charged the person the going rate upfront then sure no problems but for free no chance as it was your choice to get it