Flowers in the Attic

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone ever seen this film?

I first saw this when I was a kid, and was really impressed with it. Just watched it yesterday and forgot how good it is (Its on YT). Later on, I read the book, and glad they left out the incest storyline, but feel they could of done more with it. The grandmother was portrayed amazingly by Louise Fletcher (Kai Winn from Deep space Nine),

Even though Ive read the plot of the rest of the books, I wish that a sequel would of been made of the next book.

Comments

• shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I remember reading the books..it must be at least 25 years ago..everyone was raving about the series of books..dont think I have ever seen the film..may have to look out for it.
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the film a few times when I was younger but haven't seen it for a while now. The whipping scene used to scare the crap out of me when I was little.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the film a few times when I was younger but haven't seen it for a while now. The whipping scene used to scare the crap out of me when I was little.

It is not pleasant to say the least. That slow motion shot when the grandmother getting the whip out, so eerie and dark. And 17 lashes for seventeen years of living in sin :eek: Not normally into religion-ness, but the grandmother and her views and why she behaved the way she did, defo added extra darkness to the film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Have you read the whole series of books? I had read them before I saw the film and the brother/sister incest situation is actually an integral part of the storyline. I guess they brushed it over due to the subject being so taboo - in later books she actually gets pregnant by him.
  • .Dozy Rosie.Dozy Rosie Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read them all..(I think) ..really worth reading..I found the film nowhere as good as the book..I suppose with a book you imagine what they they look like...how they speak etc..actually I had forgotten about the books..( have sooooo many) must find them and read them again..My Sweet Audrina was good too..I think ( could be wrong) by same author!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got the book and film on DVD. Might go watch it, nowt else on.
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Have you read the whole series of books? I had read them before I saw the film and the brother/sister incest situation is actually an integral part of the storyline. I guess they brushed it over due to the subject being so taboo - in later books she actually gets pregnant by him.

Agreed, and it would be really hard to make a film out of the second and third books without the incest storyline.

I reread Flowers in the Attic recently and was a bit surprised no one has tried to redo this movie, it could be fantastic in the right director's hands, the grandmother is so creepy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have only read a brief plot of the other books in the series. As its been a long while since I read the first book, cant remember loads about it. How does the rest of the books in the series compare to the first? I just have this image of Cathy, Chris and the twins in the attic, and living a grim lifestyle, couldnt imagine the characters out there in the outside world living normal lives, (well as normal as you could have after having the experiences they had)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good movie,louise fletcher was a good choice,havnt read the books in years doesnt....
    The granmother die in a fire,i cant really remember,i think the house gets rebuilt though and cathy returns to the attic and dies there
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    I have only read a brief plot of the other books in the series. As its been a long while since I read the first book, cant remember loads about it. How does the rest of the books in the series compare to the first? I just have this image of Cathy, Chris and the twins in the attic, and living a grim lifestyle, couldnt imagine the characters out there in the outside world living normal lives, (well as normal as you could have after having the experiences they had)

I recently reread Flowers but not the following ones, so from what I remember of them, they are still good, second one is quite engrossing but not the third as much. The first one is very memorable for the sheer creepiness of the situation and the grandmother.