Changing Multiple File Extentions?

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Is there a method in widows that doesn't use the command line to change the extention name of multiple files?

I was hoping to just select them all an rename them in one go.

Comments

• uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you could use a program like advanced renamer, which is pretty cool and free
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Powershell, for example to rename all jpgs:

Dir *.jpeg | rename-item -newname { $_.name -replace ".jpeg",".jpg" }
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume OP was looking for a GUI solution.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I assume OP was looking for a GUI solution.

Yes GUI is what I was looking for.
  • kazzabeeekazzabeee Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irfanview is excellent for batch converting/renaming files if it's picture files you're after changing.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i use bulk rename utility
    http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk

it's trivial.
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I posted the exact bit of PS needed apart from the extensions. Surely this is preferable to installing random software off the internet.

Installing random software, no matter how highly recommended, is a dodgy business.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    DotNetWill wrote: »
    I posted the exact bit of PS needed apart from the extensions. Surely this is preferable to installing random software off the internet.

Installing random software, no matter how highly recommended, is a dodgy business.

Yeah but what you didn't do was explain what power shell was or how to do it.

Most people will never have heard of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, but OP was explicit in wanting a non-command line solution, so PowerShell does not fit the bill.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Yeah but what you didn't do was explain what power shell was or how to do it.

Most people will never have heard of it.

Interestingly, most developers have never heard of it either - even Microsoft ones!:)
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Powershell, for example to rename all jpgs:

Dir *.jpeg | rename-item -newname { $_.name -replace ".jpeg",".jpg" }

Granted powershell isn't command line, but i have a feeling its not what they were after :D
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was hoping for something where I could select all the files then right click and have an option to rename them all, rather than just one of them.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    with advanced renamer you can choose a drive or folder or more than one, or just drag and drop in specific files. then set it to change extensions only. it's simple to use, you see a preview of the new filename next to the old and you can undo if you mess it up