Options

Strictly Come Dancing...'it takes two'..chat thread.. (Part 10)

Comments

• Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cassie wrote: »
    Most presenters and actors are known to have stage school/acting/dancing experience. Very few are total novices these days. It doesn't exclude Matt/Kara/Scott from still being beginners in the art of ballroom dancing.

They are still the best this series, and deserve to be in the final.

I agree with you Cassie. I appreciate that those you mentioned will have had some sort of stage training. What bugs me is that the people who support Matt deny that he could possibly get paid to dance which is what a pro dancer is. :confused::rolleyes:

And my daughter was paid as a member of the dancing chorus (lowly job). Therefore, professional.
  • Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »
    Didn't you see him on Blue Peter? He did lots of dances on there. He also did a contest Strictly style on BP which he won. On Wikipedia it says he was a dancer.

It seems they ALL have dance experience!!!.

Didn't Scott's Mum let the cat out of the bag, when interviewed recently by Claudia on ITT saying Scott won a dance competition with his sister at the age of 10 and Len said that Pamela Stephenson was a trained dancer in another interview on ITT!! The only one who has no previous dance experience is poor Gavin which explains why he is struggling at the moment. Does not seem fair but these celebs must know what they are getting into and it makes sense that celebs who had previous dance exerperience would be more enthusiastic about going on Strictly.

They all do it, isn't it the X Factor singer Matt who was presented as a painter decorator when actually he is a professional singer with an album already released!! Same with Katie who was voted off recently, she had an American Record Contract when she auditioned for X Factor. They all lie, trying to convince us these contestants are ordinary people, just like us, when they are not!! Never understand the fuss, we all know it is SHOWBUSINESS!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bonnie96 wrote: »
    What were the popular dances in 1980 when he was 10?
    I doubt it was Jive :D

The fact is if you had dance training as a child, a teacher can always see the ones who did and the ones who didn't!! I did a class for fun as an adult with a group of miliary wives years ago and the teacher knew immediately which ones had danced previously!!! You remember the dance routines more easily and it does make a huge difference. Felicity obviously had ballet as a child, you could see it by the way she placed her arms and her flexibility. Pamela has had ballet training too. It all helps and is a huge advantage.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it does seem as though the producers want to keep previous experience, whether in singing or dancing, a secret. I don't watch X-Factor now so wouldn't know about any of them but I can understand what you say.

It was the same with Leona Lewis who, it turned out, had had extensive training and was picked to go on the show! At least that is what I read on here!

Strictly isn't so important in those terms as it is just "an entertainment show" ( or so we are lead to believe) and doesn't actually have a £1million conctract at the end.

Gavin is at a disadvantage but so was Gethin in his day. And Darren Gough, Colin Jackson and Chris Hollins. Although, of course, Colin was a natural dancer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »
    I agree it does seem as though the producers want to keep previous experience, whether in singing or dancing, a secret. I don't watch X-Factor now so wouldn't know about any of them but I can understand what you say.

It was the same with Leona Lewis who, it turned out, had had extensive training and was picked to go on the show! At least that is what I read on here!

Strictly isn't so important in those terms as it is just "an entertainment show" ( or so we are lead to believe) and doesn't actually have a £1million conctract at the end.

Gavin is at a disadvantage but so was Gethin in his day. And Darren Gough, Colin Jackson and Chris Hollins. Although, of course, Colin was a natural dancer.

Well I have never understood the hysterics about the X Factor Final when they all end up with contracts as Simon is not going to miss an opportunity to make money. So many of the non-winners of X Factor have gone on to fame and fortune. Rhydian, Olie, Diana Vickers etc. So what is all the excitement about the million pound recording contract!!!!

Regarding Colin, poor baby, he really was let down by Erin with her ridiculous doll dance. I will never forget that. Awful. I felt so sorry for him and anyone could see the ragdoll routine was dated and awful, except Erin, unfortunately. I remember Arlene told them how awful the routine was!! Cringe!!!

I live in Bonn Germany and they have a German X Factor and they did the same thing here. The winner was presented as a wine bar waitress but in actually fact had appeared in Dusseldorf with a band at a festival, made a record and had tons of experience as a professional singer but we were told she worked in a wine bar in Cologne!!!!! Silly really as the truth always comes out eventually, especially now we have the internet and mobile phones with cameras etc......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,332
    Forum Member
    olivej wrote: »
    I love the scene in Big!!!

Me and my sister used to play that song together - not on a giant piano, on a regular one and I always had to play the boring lower notes, not the higher fun notes!

THAT'S where I recognised it from! Heart Big :D
  • Options
    tinselgirltinselgirl Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    On the subject of past experience - all the "Big 4" have had dance experience. Impossible not to have done if you've gone to a stage school etc etc. Pamela was showing off her tap on ITT yesterday for instance.

It really is only the sportsmen - Gough, Ramprakash, Dawson, Jackson, Hollins etc who have absolutely never danced before. They really should be applauded for their efforts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    I've said it before but I've never understood why the Strictly producers make such an effort to hide it when people have had dance experience. As long as it's not ballroom and latin experience it shouldn't really matter.

Any actor or pop singer and many TV presenters will probably have had loads of dance training (Kara's even done Strictly before, albeit in the Comic Relief version). Yes that gives them an advantage in some respects. But sportsmen tend to have the advantage of fitness and athleticism (and do training that often involves dance techniques for flexibility) so they usually go far in the competition as well.

If you restricted the competitors to people who had never put on a pair of dancing shoes in their lives, or who weren't sportspeople, you'd have a very small pool of celebrities to choose from.

Also, it's nice to have a mix of abilities - chances are that the ones with previous training or a high level of fitness will win, but that's the compromise you have to live with if you want to see good dancing in the final stages.

The point of the competition is to learn ballroom and latin, not dancing per se.

Thinking about it, they do seem to try and balance out the advantages by making sure that the truly rookie celebs are pretty popular and famous to begin with. Think of the comparison in terms of notoriety between e.g. Ann and Kara. Ann has the advantage of being very well known, which leads to votes, Kara has the advantage of previous dance experience. Seems to make sense as a system, even if it's frustrating when less famous but better dancers lose out to people like Ann.
  • Options
    PeeBee2PeeBee2 Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    tinselgirl wrote: »
    On the subject of past experience - all the "Big 4" have had dance experience. Impossible not to have done if you've gone to a stage school etc etc. Pamela was showing off her tap on ITT yesterday for instance.

It really is only the sportsmen - Gough, Ramprakash, Dawson, Jackson, Hollins etc who have absolutely never danced before. They really should be applauded for their efforts.

They all have different advantages. Dance is really just another form of physical activity, admittedly with some embellishment.

Don't the sportsmen also have an advantage with regard to fitness, an understanding of, and aptitude for, training with its inherent discipline.

The cricketers should all have experience of timing and line and rhythm - important for bowlers. batsmen and when fielding.

Timing and rhythm are also important for footballers - kicking and passing the ball, running a line or cutting through a gap, timing a tackle (although not so much for rugby union players who just don't know how to tackle properly ;):D )

Colin Jackson would also have required these same skills for his running and hurdling.

Discipline, fitness, line, timing, rhythm - surely none of these concepts are foreign to any of the sportsmen who should have an advantage in this regard.

Much of the time they would be combining these skills and doing more than one of them at a time, e.g. running and kicking the ball, running and passing the ball, running and timing a tackle, dancing down the pitch to attack the spinners, running and clearing the hurdle efficiently, running in to bowl the ball, watching the flight of a powerfully hit cricket ball and then leaping and stretching to the side to take a sharp catch in the outfield ....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have to include Gethin in with the rest of the sportsmen and women as he was a semi-pro Rugby player before being picked to appear on Uned 5 in Wales and then Blue Peter.

However, it doesn't always work - think Andrew Castle, Joe Calzaghe, and others.
  • Options
    StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cassie wrote: »
    Yeh lovely wasn't it :D

Most presenters and actors are known to have stage school/acting/dancing experience. Very few are total novices these days. It doesn't exclude Matt/Kara/Scott from still being beginners in the art of ballroom dancing.

They are still the best this series, and deserve to be in the final.

These are the three that I would like to see in the final, although I suspect that Pam may oust one of them, unfortunately. From reading various posts on these forums over the weeks since Strictly started, it would seem that she has more dance training than any of them, having practised various dance disciplines over the years.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think all five know this could be their last week and I hope they all dance their hearts out for this reason - all caution to the wind (Kara, are you listening girl?)!:D

It is just about impossible to guess who the final three will be.:D

Daft as it sounds, I feel like we are having two finals this year because it is all so close to call!:D

Exciting isn't it!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to the fashion and shoe special feature later :D
  • Options
    StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daft as it sounds, I feel like we are having two finals this year because it is all so close to call!:D

That's a great way to describe it, Buddy:D

Two terrific weekends of dancing to look forward to:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,332
    Forum Member
    kitty_koo wrote: »
    Looking forward to the fashion and shoe special feature later :D

Oooh yes, of course it's Thursday!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Chopsticks

Heart & Soul

It's Heart & Soul!

I've not seen what happened after Erin did her Challenge, but reading on here I'm glad she beat James! Natalie as a piano player definitely recognised the music! Will have to wait for iPlayer to see the rest of the show. :(

The "tune" only reveals when the dancers step on the correct note. ;)
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    terrie1957 wrote: »
    The "tune" only reveals when the dancers step on the correct note. ;)

I know!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KHC22 wrote: »
    I am both female and straight, but I would like an Erin for xmas...

Me too. I actually LOVE her. Mad as a box of frogs...can u imagine a night out with Erin and Claudia? And Anton?!
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Really funny, enjoyable show tonight although I felt the end was a bit rushed and the boys were talking over one another, not that I was realy paying attention to what they were saying ;):p

Sid...Naughty boy. But I was the exact same. Kinda tuned out because the picture on the screen was so pretty :-p
  • Options
    Bonnie96Bonnie96 Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    Anyone know if we'll have ITT tomorrow - perhaps from the dance studio itself?
    I'm going to miss ITT tonight :( but I can handle that (just) if there is one more to look forward to before the semis :)
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to miss ITT tonight :( but I can handle that (just) if there is one more to look forward to before the semis :)

Afternoon sexy :)

According to the Radio Times, ITT is scheduled as normal tomorrow.

x
  • Options
    fancynancyfancynancy Posts: 7,991
    Forum Member

Yes, there is!:):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sid...Naughty boy. But I was the exact same. Kinda tuned out because the picture on the screen was so pretty :-p

I have the same problem in real life. I find I have to repeat myself a lot because people are easily distracted by my dashing good looks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I have the same problem in real life. I find I have to repeat myself a lot because people are easily distracted by my dashing good looks.

Me too. It is hard being so gorgeous. *sigh*
  • Options
    Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone really really annoyed by the dreadful song at the beginning of the piano challenge.....for goodness sake we know what happens without having that awful dirge every night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too. It is hard being so gorgeous. *sigh*

People just don't appreciate how hard we have it.

;)
    Is anyone really really annoyed by the dreadful song at the beginning of the piano challenge.....for goodness sake we know what happens without having that awful dirge every night.

Does anyone know the actual song played on the challenge itself?

I can't place it.
This discussion has been closed.