What were your views on Madonna?

Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I say "were" because I'm referring to specific parts of her career. The reason I ask is, my mother was telling me how my cousin when she was around 12/13 LOVED Madonna and it was around the time of her 'Erotica' era, her mother who is very...prudish (I think is the word) was absolutely anti-Madonna. Apparently you couldn't even mention her name because of the "filth" she promoted :D So, that Christmas, an aunt in the family bought my cousin a Madonna calendar, apparently my aunt's face was priceless.

It seems that at that time people were thinking Madonna was a right old slag. What's funny is it was just a career project, nothing to reflect her personality or whatever. I mean compared to now it's nothing of a rarity, with Rihanna getting her ass out, along with Gaga and Katy Perry etc.

Comments

• Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Showbiz or music thread?
  • Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    Showbiz or music thread?

Neither. It was more a generalized opinion
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's a lady with a big ego who made some good music and now makes some bad music.

She also looks like my mother. Or did so more in the 80s.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Never liked her music
  • agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    liked some of her older music...
    don't like her later music...
    laughed when she fell over...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think her last big hit would be 'Hung Up'. I loved that Abba sample, good use of that. The rest since hasn't been good. At all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Dirty Argentinian footballer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cribside wrote: »
    Dirty Argentinian footballer.

Loved her in Evita
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She did have one good song on her last album, Girl Gone Wild it was called. It wasn't as good as some of her early stuff though but was fun.

She just needs to stop trying to be down wiv da kidz.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She did have one good song on her last album, Girl Gone Wild it was called. It wasn't as good as some of her early stuff though but was fun.

She just needs to stop trying to be down wiv da kidz.

Oh yeah I liked that one. I had that god awful 'Give me all your luv' with the Minaj though. I will never forget that song for all the wrong reasons.

I do like her new one though, reminds me of 'Like A Prayer'
  • deev1ne0nedeev1ne0ne Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    Oh yeah I liked that one. I had that god awful 'Give me all your luv' with the Minaj though. I will never forget that song for all the wrong reasons.

I thought it was 'give me all your muffins' :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I do like her new one though, reminds me of 'Like A Prayer'

Tbh, although I might sound like one, I'm not really a fan. I don't know any of her new stuff and only knew that Girls Gone Wild song cos my friend showed it me.

IMO she has done 3 really great tracks

Papa Don't Preach (best video)
    True Blue
    Frozen

Other than that she's not really my thing musically.
    Or personality wise.

Although I do think she gets a hard time of it recently, particularly about her age.
    Crikey if i could do some of the tricks she can do at 56 I'll be a happy beaver.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Like A Prayer' is my favourite. It brings back good memories of the beginning of my new life.
  • calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madonna with her less than decent voice used dancing and sex to sell.. and nothing else..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh, although I might sound like one, I'm not really a fan. I don't know any of her new stuff and only knew that Girls Gone Wild song cos my friend showed it me.

IMO she has done 3 really great tracks

Papa Don't Preach (best video)
    True Blue
    Frozen

Other than that she's not really my thing musically.
    Or personality wise.

Although I do think she gets a hard time of it recently, particularly about her age.
    Crikey if i could do some of the tricks she can do at 56 I'll be a happy beaver.

I never used to like her much either. Personality wise I've always found her hard to like until recently funnily enough. For some reason we always seem to think she's a bit of a cold fish or mean, yet in interviews she doesn't actually give that impression at all, so maybe it's more of a media thing, I don't know.

There's a really great interview on YouTube from around 1995 I think where she talks about her mother and how she really misses not being able to talk to her or have someone above her for guidance in a motherly way which I thought was quite sad.

Now I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen a video of Madonna being horrible to anyone..not like Rihanna who stuck her fingers up to her fans who had been waiting over night for her arrival at the o2! Now that is mean! (or is this now being classed as flame bait!?)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Like A Prayer' is my favourite. It brings back good memories of the beginning of my new life.

Yes I like that one too.

What occurred to me recently is, if you think about it, that song is kinda like a song you see on songs of praise where they're all praising Jesus and really "in the zone". Yet because Madonna, a pop star, released it with slightly better lyrics, people never saw that.

You know the kinda songs I mean, "shine Jesus shine", all those modern ones that aren't actual hymns :D
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liked her 84-90: after that, only Justify My Love and Ray Of Light caught my fancy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liked her 84-90: after that, only Justify My Love and Ray Of Light caught my fancy.

..not Erotica? :p
  • WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My brother went to see her live in the '80s. She took her knickers off and spread her legs while squatting at the front of the stage! It's fair to say he was disgusted, as there were children of various ages in the audience. :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My brother went to see her live in the '80s. She took her knickers off and spread her legs while squatting at the front of the stage! It's fair to say he was disgusted, as there were children of various ages in the audience. :blush:

You gotta admit that's actually quite funny
  • WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You gotta admit that's actually quite funny

Yep. :D
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I grew up in the 80s. She was one of those artists that I didn't go out and buy their albums or particularly listen to that often. But she did have a few songs that I would turn up if it came on the radio. Papa Don't Preach and Live to Tell were two of her songs that I enjoyed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never used to like her much either. Personality wise I've always found her hard to like until recently funnily enough. For some reason we always seem to think she's a bit of a cold fish or mean, yet in interviews she doesn't actually give that impression at all, so maybe it's more of a media thing, I don't know.

There's a really great interview on YouTube from around 1995 I think where she talks about her mother and how she really misses not being able to talk to her or have someone above her for guidance in a motherly way which I thought was quite sad.

Now I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen a video of Madonna being horrible to anyone..not like Rihanna who stuck her fingers up to her fans who had been waiting over night for her arrival at the o2! Now that is mean! (or is this now being classed as flame bait!?)

Yea I don't think I've ever seen her be horrible to anyone. But she does have an inflated sense of importance about herself that can be hard to find likeable.

I'm not sure that's her fault really though... If I was called Queen of Pop for 2 decades I suppose I might start thinking I actually was some kind of majestical figure too.

She's alright really. Just a tad self indulgent.

She blinks waaaay too slow for a human being though... She's probably an alien, in which case I can forgive her, her shortcomings.
  • PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never liked her music

Did you never strap one off over her after a few bevvies?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good singer - can't let go of her long lost youth.