Options

How to get over this obsession with 'trophies' (/achievements, etc)

CoolWestiesCoolWesties Posts: 211
Forum Member
i was thinking about this last night. i just completed getting every single trophy for gta4 but i admit the process felt more like a chore than fun. when i play a game i am put off by trophies and how difficulty they might be in getting (after considering if the game is interesting, first of all). was this how it was playing san andreas? no. maybe if i disable the trophy notification that i wouldnt have to worry about it? but then theres that obsession at the back of my damn mind and always checking which ones i've unlocked.

i don't have time delving this in detail but hopefully people here will get the picture. i think trophies ruin the enjoyment of the game. i didnt really get into the story of the GTA4 games because i was so pre-occupied with getting the trophies. games should be fun, not work. perhaps its the OCD aspect of me.

if anyone out there has managed getting over their obsession with trophies, or can suggest ways in how to do this (what things to say to myself, etc), let me know. here are some links that delves into this issue further, arguing yes or no:

http://www.gamnesia.com/articles/daily-delib-have-achievements-and-trophies-ruined-our-ability-to-enjoy-game#.VSJqAZNYYg4

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/02/27/feature-trophies-hurting-ability-enjoy-games/#/slide/1

i'm not saying trophies should be banned or anything. people are free to get them if they want, others not. but for those wanting to change from wanting to getting to not ~(and just enjoying the game) it's abit hard to mentally adjust yourself if you have the thought of trophies nagging at the back of your mind. what about disabling it, enjoying the story and the game first, and upon completion, then think about trophies?

Comments

• Options
    MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll admit, i used to be quite obsessed with getting them. I'm only level 11 and calmed down once I reached level 10. I think I just realised that they're pretty pointless, they don't show how good you are at gaming for the most part. Saying that, trophies are still usually on your mind!
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Fair play to ya OP. In your last GTA thread I was gonna comment and say that you sound more bothered about the trophies than enjoying the game but here you are saying it.

Do you ever replay the games after you got all the trophies ? With them all collected you are then free to enjoy the story !
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Initially I'll play a game through to the end (if it has a story) and see how many trophies I unlock without knowing what they are. Then afterwards I'll check to see what trophies are left and see if they seem fun enough to be worth bothering with.

Usually I'll leave the trophies for collecting the 500 collectibles that are almost impossible to spot without a guide because that does become a chore. But like right now I'm trying to collect the Driveclub ones and it's been fun since they use skill rather than having to sit there watching YouTube to find the last GTA pigeon.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tend to plod trough games, not really bothered much about trophies but i do find myself trophy hunting on certain games such as Skyrim, minecraft.
    I think for me it depends on the game if i trophy hunt or not, i only have 5 and am level 15 lol.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never bothered with achievements or trophies, a game for me is finished when the credits starts to roll. Will admit it's nice when they pop up though, but I don't actively seek them out or look up what they are.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy collecting trophies and often go for the Platinum on games I am enjoying. But I dont let trophies rule how I play a game. I normally have a quick check of a trophy guide before starting to see if there are any missable trophies and then just play the game normally. Once I have finished the story mode if I am still enjoying the game I will often go for Platinum if it seems achievable.

Some games like Drive Club which involves a long grind for the reaching level 50 and getting the Accolades I will often return to on and off between other games slowly working towards the trophies.

With a game like GTA5 it took me 5 months playing on and off to get the Platinum. I played it loads when it was released, I finished the story and played lots of the online. Then returned to get 100%, then again to get the gold medals, then for the flying under bridges. I also played the online on and off having fun doing what I wanted and occasionally pushing for certain trophies.

Dont play a game for the trophies. But go for the trophies if you enjoy the game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    good replies, thanks.

i was worried my OCD is spoiling my enjoyment. i think i'll disable the trophy notifications and just play the game for the story and fun of it, like i did when playing pc and ps2 games in the past.

think i'll get re-aquanted with san andreas as thats a good way to start. i havent played that game in years and i feel like playing it.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think things were a little better when achievements / trophies first appeared in games.
    They tended to be awarded for completing levels and the whole game rather than random collectibles which take forever to hunt down.
    Even ones like "Get 100 kills" aren't too bad because you accumulate them as you're playing through.

I remember playing CoD:2 on Xbox 360 and it had a grand total of 13 achievements in total for 1000G. All achievements were for completing levels and one at the end for completing the game.

Now most games seem to have at least 50 achievements for 1000G + extra for any DLC.

The only franchise I've been a bit obsessed about getting the achievements is Assassins Creed. Mainly this is because the original was the first game I got 1000G in.

So far:
    AC - 1000/1000
    AC2 - 1000/1000
    AC:Brotherhood - 1025/1250
    AC:Revelations - 980/1490
    AC3 - 905/1350
    AC4: Black Flag - 1090/1250
    AC:Rogue - Not played yet.
    AC:Unity - 1000/1300 (just DLC to do).

And that reminds me, multiplayer achievements pee me off. Most of the achievements I have missing from Brotherhood to AC4 are multiplayer I couldn't be bothered to play.

The same goes for any time specific achievements!!
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    I got over the obsession about five years ago..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dan27 wrote: »
    I got over the obsession about five years ago..

good for you. care to share us your secret to this success?
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only really got for trophies that I really like. If I absolutely love a game, I'll start to feel this completionist attitude within me, enjoying a game so much that I need to hoover up every last bit of replay value the game offers me, and that stretches to trophies.

That said, I do draw the line at certain collectibles. I'm two trophies away from the platinum in Assassin's Creed II. Those two trophies? Collect all the feathers, and wear the cape you're subsequently rewarded with in each city. **** that.

I only have 4 platinums at the moment to be fair. Uncharted 2, Arkham Asylum, Heavy Rain and Resident Evil 5. So yeah, I see them as a nice incentive to continue playing my favourite games.
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And that reminds me, multiplayer achievements pee me off. Most of the achievements I have missing from Brotherhood to AC4 are multiplayer I couldn't be bothered to play.

I hate multiplayer achievements. I usually can't be bothered with multiplayer modes so it's trying to force me to do something I don't want to do. In that case, I just leave it. If it sounds like a chore, just leave it. It's not like you're going to 100% every single game you play.

I'm only two off platinuming Watch Dogs but they're so annoying that I just gave up. My life isn't long enough to go round the map hoping to find that one last song that never ever appears and the drinking games are too frustrating to be fun.

Also I remember in Arkham City there was one where you had to play the game on a certain day of the year. Yeah right!
  • Options
    RS_mark84RS_mark84 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When they first came out (PS3), I didn't bother buying any games to get trophies. Then CoD: WAW came out and I earnt a trophy. I thought WTF was that?? after that they started to roll in. I soon found them a 'must have', and went out my way to earn them.

Then I found myself buying games just for trophies, It didn't phase me on the money side as that wasn't an issue.. As the years went on I couldn't be bothered with them to an extent. Now I just buy games i want and go for trophies I can get without to much work.

I'm also glad sony have now patched trophies so you can delete 0% games.
  • Options
    the dourflathe dourfla Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never seen the point in trophies especially where you can get one just for loading up a game and pressing start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I find multi player trophies really annoying as so many games have their servers switched off making it impossible to get those trophies and therefore making the Platinum impossible. Online trophies are also normally a huge grind which is so off putting if the online mode is just a tacked on extra to a mainly single player game. I wish online trophies were classed as a separate element like DLC packages meaning even after the online has shut down the Platinum is still possible.

I also wish the trophy system worked more like the Uplay system Ubisoft games use. You earn points for each Uplay objective which can then be spent on skins or bonus weapon unlocks for the game. This would at least make trophies something more than a pointless collectable. A few games I have played have linked certain unlocks to trophies and others unlocked items for HOME. It would be nice if trophy points could be spent towards DLC.
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    I think this stupid trophy system is responsible for killing the art of telling a story in gaming!

All big AAA titles became about 'scoring' !
  • Options
    MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like them for say....playing the game on a harder difficulty or getting all the collectables. It was better when there wasn't so many to do.

But now it seems some of them are for really random stuff or are a real chore. The most annoying are when you need online ones, yeah I'm looking at you Tomb Raider.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    I only really got for trophies that I really like. If I absolutely love a game, I'll start to feel this completionist attitude within me, enjoying a game so much that I need to hoover up every last bit of replay value the game offers me, and that stretches to trophies.

That said, I do draw the line at certain collectibles. I'm two trophies away from the platinum in Assassin's Creed II. Those two trophies? Collect all the feathers, and wear the cape you're subsequently rewarded with in each city. **** that.

I only have 4 platinums at the moment to be fair. Uncharted 2, Arkham Asylum, Heavy Rain and Resident Evil 5. So yeah, I see them as a nice incentive to continue playing my favourite games.

With the AC games I just use maps online to collect all the flags/feathers/chests etc. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tombigbee wrote: »
    I hate multiplayer achievements. I usually can't be bothered with multiplayer modes so it's trying to force me to do something I don't want to do. In that case, I just leave it. If it sounds like a chore, just leave it. It's not like you're going to 100% every single game you play.

I'm only two off platinuming Watch Dogs but they're so annoying that I just gave up. My life isn't long enough to go round the map hoping to find that one last song that never ever appears and the drinking games are too frustrating to be fun.

Also I remember in Arkham City there was one where you had to play the game on a certain day of the year. Yeah right!

In the AC series I got 1000G on the first 2 games and then they added multiplayer for Brotherhood which took up something like 400G. It just annoyed me as I'd platinumed the first 2 games then they added the multiplayer ones and ruined it.

There was one in Brothers In Arms : Hells Highway called "Remember September '44" or something like that and you had to play the game on a certain day in September. Some people were saying "oh just go offline and change the date settings on your Xbox" however the achievement specifically said "whilst on Xbox Live" to stop people doing that. I ended up getting the achievement a few years later when I happened to get back into playing it to pick up some achievements I'd missed and it was August so I set a reminder on my phone to play it on the day required, then just popped it in the machine on the day and the achievement popper! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RS_mark84 wrote: »
    I'm also glad sony have now patched trophies so you can delete 0% games.

I think you were able to do that from very early on with Xbox.
    Annoyingly though, you still can't delete games from your record that do have achievements unlocked.

There's about 5-6 games in my list that I've got one achievement in from just playing the first level, then decided I didn't like the game. Because I have that 1 achievement it won't allow it to be deleted! >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The worst type of trophy of all though has to be the ones like Burnout Paradise had. Buy a peripheral to earn this trophy >:( >:( >:( >:(

The only trophy I need to Platinum Burnout is that pesky eye toy trophy.

On the Assassins Creed online trophies, after Brotherhood they got a lot easier and most can be earned with the Wolfpack mode playing solo which is actually pretty good fun.
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never bothered with any. The only ones I've ever got were by accident. I remember when they first appeared I thought they were going to do something like 1 trophy = 1 MS point or something, so something that would encourage gamers to buy more games and explore them fully, but they're literally pointless : /
  • Options
    steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    before ps plus came along, i used to sometimes bother with trophies (uncharted, wipeout hd, ) but since there is always something else to play, i dont bother with spending extra time on games.

im actually tempted to let my ps plus sub expire so i can just play the games i want within the timeframe, i seem to only get through one game every two months or so so its not that great value - plus i was away from the uk for 4 months last year, so again, not worth it.
  • Options
    rehmanmohamedrehmanmohamed Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to get some games just for the easy trophies but I don't tend to do that any more. I now only play games that I enjoy,

If I'm enjoying a game and the trophies are reasonable, I'll try to get the platinum. But if the trophies are ridiculous in a game, or involve major grinding, I won't bother with them.

Having said that, I do still class myself as a trophy ****

http://psnprofiles.com/tartandon
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I used to be obsessed with gamerscore but I gave up years ago trying to 1000 gs every game when online achievements started becoming the norm. I don't mind grinding a game on vetran difficulty to max out the achievements, but playing a 500 games online to unlock them..no thanks.

In fact the only game I have maxed out with online achievements was cod waw on the 360.