Options

Asteroid on collision course with the earth

Comments

• Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yowsers! So, it's as big as the Statue of Liberty? It would be ironic if it actually hit the Statue of Liberty and took out most of Manhattan. Grab the movie rights now and you're onto a winner!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just 1/1.000.000 chance of hitting us. Pretty long odds.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »

Look at the number above;

It was a million to one that I would just write that particular one down (between 1 and 1,000,000) and yet I did it.

Those odds and longer come up week in week out in various circumstances.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was one before Easter wasn't there? Are they queueing up out there to take pot shots at us? :(

Hmmmm, what if it is the actual statue of liberty - coming at us in some strange time warp? :confused::o
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a near miss asteroid every few weeks. By near miss they often mean further away than the moon! Yet the day something came in on Russia on 15th February 2013 nobody saw it coming until it arrived. If that had been over London it would have caused carnage from the shockwave alone.
  • Options
    TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Yowsers! So, it's as big as the Statue of Liberty? It would be ironic if it actually hit the Statue of Liberty and took out most of Manhattan. Grab the movie rights now and you're onto a winner!

I thought that was compulsory for asteroids and comets. Maybe the damn thing is attracting them!
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was one before Easter wasn't there? Are they queueing up out there to take pot shots at us? :(

Hmmmm, what if it is the actual statue of liberty - coming at us in some strange time warp? :confused::o

Could be maybe it was that what blew it and the world up. Then the apes evolved rather than nuclear war. Taylor was cursing the wrong people they were not maniacs at all. :D
  • Options
    chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully it'll do us all a favour and hit the middle east.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chaff wrote: »
    Hopefully it'll do us all a favour and hit the middle east.

I hope not. There'll be innocent people over there, as well as the IS morons.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »

Look at the number above;

It was a million to one that I would just write that particular one down (between 1 and 1,000,000) and yet I did it.

Phew!

I was afraid it was going to be 358,271!

Or even worse:
    7,189,873,285,236,875,486,157,147,842,549,563,935,965,984,128,431,425,926,183,583,189,765,183,138,534,730,093,263

Odds of a million to one against might well come in week in week out if there are millions of events that might potentially happen - but they fail to come up much more often.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Yowsers! So, it's as big as the Statue of Liberty?

How much is that in double-decker units? We're British, dammit!
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Bruce Willis and Robert Duvall will save us.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    Bruce Willis and Robert Duvall will save us.

Sadly that’s not a realistic option;

They both died during a previous ill-fated attempt to divert an asteroid. :(
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty worried about this...
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    bri160356 wrote: »
    Sadly that’s not a realistic option;

They both died during a previous ill-fated attempt to divert an asteroid. :(

But they died so we could live!
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Million-to-one odds turn up nine times out of ten*, this is a well-documented fact.

* Corporal Nobbs? I can't remember who said it but there was definitely someone standing on one leg wearing a blindfold and about to shoot an arrow and I suspect even the gargoyles had taken cover
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Tidosho wrote: »
    I thought that was compulsory for asteroids and comets. Maybe the damn thing is attracting them!

Damned cunning those French! :D
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the million to one comment was not arrived at scientifically.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the more telescopes there are, the more asteroids will be spotted.....
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the asteroid is traversing space at newtonian speeds (not einsteinian speeds), it must be quite easy to calculate its course based on its cuurent trajectory, relative well know position of nearby planets which could influence the trajectory.

There will be an uncertainty band on the calculations, but provided the estimated closet approach is so big enough, such that even allowing for calculational uncertainty, it will miss the Earth, then statements such as a 1 in 1 million chance have no meaning and are just typical press type statements.

So either the asteroid will pass so far away there is no chance, or it is passing so close that there is a realistic chance of colliding which can be reasonably well calculated.

On the grounds we are are not hearing anything to the contrary, I assume there is no chance. (Of course, conspiracy theorists might say we are not being told the truth).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    I bet America comes up with "lets blow that up". That's their answer to everything "lets kill it".
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty worried about this...

Do you mean the asteroid, or the large blank area in your post #15 ? :confused:
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    Given the asteroid is traversing space at newtonian speeds (not einsteinian speeds), it must be quite easy to calculate its course based on its cuurent trajectory, relative well know position of nearby planets which could influence the trajectory.

There will be an uncertainty band on the calculations, but provided the estimated closet approach is so big enough, such that even allowing for calculational uncertainty, it will miss the Earth, then statements such as a 1 in 1 million chance have no meaning and are just typical press type statements.

The problem would be the confidence with which its position and trajectory are known. It will be fairly well known in what direction the object is, and how quickly that direction is changing, but there'll be a certain amount of guesswork at first exactly how far away the object is. Roughly how far away can be estimated, and the closer the object is the greater the accuracy with which that distance can be fixed. Calculations based on an initial estimate will most likely produce a range of values for the closest approach to Earth. If that range is, say, 1,000,000 - 2,000,000 miles, then all is well. If it's 500,000 miles on one side to 500,000 miles on the other side, then there is a chance of being hit. Given that on that kind of scale, the Earth is still a fairly small target (even allowing for the fact that we're at the bottom of a gravity well), then it's not a very big chance,

I suppose that you could do some statistical calculations and come up with a number for the probability that the combination of position and trajectory is one that will lead to impact with the Earth, but I'd agree with you that statements like "one in a million" are shorthand for "very, very unlikely"
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    stairway wrote: »
    woodbush wrote: »

Long odds? If it's a 1/1.000 (i.e. 1/1) it's an absolute certainty!

Surprised this hasn't been covered in the papers...