The Ratings Thread (Part 46)

Comments

• F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Long range forecast is currently for a warm-to-hot spring with above average temperatures and a wet summer with temperatures near normal or slightly above.

To be expect these days. :(

Ken
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    F1Ken wrote: »
    I absolutely agree. Great ratings for ITV and the penguins did very well as well. What's the problem with people?. EE is back where it was before christams. Bad news.
    Did you read the last few pages of the previous thread, Ken?

Because I have to agree with Jake, your painting a different picture to what happened and help feed those who seem to enjoy having a victim complex about this thread.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    George's selective memory has struck again. he seems to have forgotten that the previous 'Spy in the' series concentrated on Lions, Elephants, wildebeest, zebras, antelopes and Bees. Such pretty animals :rolleyes:
    He is probably too busy catching up with 'Cornwall with Caroline Quentin'.

All your posts have been antagonistic and very rude and I feel like it brings down the quality of the thread! :( Just because someone disagrees doesn't mean you have to be so unpleasant.

Onto the ratings and Coronation Street did really well last night, and the two documentaries on both BBC1 and ITV both pulled in respectable numbers. I think both channels should be pleased with those numbers. I think EastEnders is starting to do poorly again.. it was sandwiched between two Coronation Street episodes, so you'd usually expect the soap fans to switch over to BBC1 then back to ITV again, and to see both Corrie and EE closer to each other in the ratings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Georged123 wrote: »
    Did you read the last few pages of the previous thread, Ken?

Because I have to agree with Jake, your painting a different picture to what happened and help feed those who seem to enjoy having a victim complex about this thread.

I did and I obviously didn't take it in or read it very well did I. I'm sorry for messing up yet again. Does it really matter? My point was still valid even if I totally got it wrong. I wasn't trying to as you put it "feed those who seem to enjoy having a victim complex about this thread" . not at all. I misunderstood the whole thing and I think I have been misunderstood as well.

I really am very sorry about it. I didn't know it could cause such problem. :)

Ken
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    I did and I obviously didn't take it in or read it very well did I. I'm sorry for messing up yet again. Does it really matter? My point was still valid even if I totally got it wrong. I wasn't trying to "feed those who seem to enjoy having a victim complex about this thread" not at all. I misunderstood the whole thing and I think I have been misunderstood as well.

Ken
    There's no need to apologise. I'm sure you didn't mean it and I've always thought your an impartial poster unlike some.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did and I obviously didn't take it in or read it very well did I. I'm sorry for messing up yet again. Does it really matter? My point was still valid even if I totally got it wrong. I wasn't trying to as you put it "feed those who seem to enjoy having a victim complex about this thread" . not at all. I misunderstood the whole thing and I think I have been misunderstood as well.

Ken

Some people like to think they're overly important Ken. Your posts are always polite and well intentioned. If others want to get off on pedantry and authoritarianism then that's up to them. It isn't a reflection on you or your posts mate. Honest.
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    It's like a school playground with all the BBC/ITV arguments. How old are some of you 5? And then there's the rudeness. This place is built on a foundation of insanity!
    I've lurked the thread for a few short months and I've been shocked to see what people have argued about. Surely PMs are the way to go if you really want to have it out with another poster? It was only a matter of time before the best posters would got caught in the crossfire as has happened tonight. :sleep:

Some people take this ratings malarkey far too seriously.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of executive reshuffling going on in early 2013...

Peter Fincham is considering giving more power to Elaine Bedell as part of a commissioning restructure that follows the departure of Alison Sharman (Director of Daytime and Factual). Bedell could get daytime entertainment (like The Chase and Tipping Point) added to her portfolio as well as primetime entertainment and comedy. I guess things have picked up a bit for her in the past few months but still... :confused:

Damian Kavanagh, Channel 4's Head of Features and Factual Formats for less than a year, is taking up the post of Controller of BBC Daytime (plus The One Show and BBC2 6-7pm). Given C4's reliance on that genre, it's quite a big job there.

He replaces Liam Keelan who had accepted a job as Director of Sky1 but backed out after it was all announced to take the newly created role of Global Editorial Director at BBC Worldwide. Sky1 are still looking to fill that post.

Ms Sharman will presumably be a name in the frame for both the Channel 4 job and Director of Sky1. While ITV Studios Creative Director of Drama Francis Hopkinson has been linked to the Director of Drama Commissioning job at ITV. He previously Executive Produced DCI Banks and Wallander while at indie Left Bank.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Georged123 wrote: »
    There's no need to apologise. I'm sure you didn't mean it and I've always thought your an impartial poster unlike some.

Well I'm sure that's open to debate as well! :D

I try to be impartial and I try not to take it to seriously but I think it comes across poorly in written form. It's very hard to quite know what the mood is from a post on the internet.Because there is no tone of voice or facial expressions it's just words. And we can read into things differently. I think the smilies or whatever they are help.

If you can get you point and the true meaning of a post across as some people can. That I think is a very valuable skill indeed. Should have paid more attention in English at school! :o

Anyway. Ratings!

DotE has kind of okay in the ratings. 1.8m is slightly disappointing for a major drama but it's not to bad. Some BBC Two drams really flop but this one hasn't.

Good to see drama back on the channel after it became a bit of a stale channel back 10 years ago. It was no longer the channel it was due to BBC Four so it went more mainstream and became a "Cooking Channel". I know there is still many cookery shows on BBC Two now but I feel the channel under Janice Hadlow has struck a really good balance.

I really like what she has done with the channel and it's new HD simulcast will be very nice indeed.:)

Ken
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Some people like to think they're overly important Ken. Your posts are always polite and well intentioned. If others want to get off on pedantry and authoritarianism then that's up to them. It isn't a reflection on you or your posts mate. Honest.

Your very kind! :)

It's amazing how we all, even my self get really into this posting business. I like it because most people do come across as friendly people.

Ken
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see drama back on the channel after it became a bit of a stale channel back 10 years ago. It was no longer the channel it was due to BBC Four so it went more mainstream and became a "Cooking Channel". I know there is still many cookery shows on BBC Two now but I feel the channel under Janice Hadlow has struck a really good balance.

I really like what she has done with the channel and it's new HD simulcast will be very nice indeed.:)

Yeah, BBC2 is in a good place at the moment, its comedy oputput looks pretty good at the moment as well, and a lot of the factual stuff does well. And the channel does seem to have a proper house style and cohesion about it, you know what a BBC2 programme looks like. That wasn't always the case because sometimes it felt like, in comedy especially, they were going for the same kind of stuff as BBC3. The BFI Television Handbook from 2004 I mentioned the other day has a great example when that weird animated show I Am Not An Animal was on BBC2 while BBC3 were premiering a new series of Coupling.

I will not be sad to see BBC HD go because as I've said here before it irritates me that they present it as a proper channel with now and nexts and stuff when they're showing such a dispirate set of programmes it makes no sense, they go from BBC2 to BBC4 to BBC3 and nobody on the planet would possibly sit there and watch BBC HD all night. It might have made sense when it started when you might just watch anything in HD for the thrill of HD, but not now.

On the last thread Robbie mentioned If You See God Tell Him which you may have noticed was also mentioned in The Guardian's editorial today. But it was a huge flop, and it's not a surprise because they showed the first episode on BBC4 a few years back, which was the first time I'd seen it (or anyone, it was never repeated before that) since its first showing in 1993, and it really was relentlessly bleak. You could pass it off as an episode of Black Mirror. In fact it's probably more unsettling than Black Mirror because it's got that nice Richard Briers in it. Episode one was bleak enough, having not seen it for twenty years I can't imagine what the final episode would come across like now.

Sadly Briers himself didn't like it, it wasn't his kind of humour, and I know Andrew Marshall and David Renwick didn't really think Briers was quite right for the role, but the Beeb demanded they used him as he was a big star. And it did flop massively, it was far too adult and challenging for primetime BBC1. Of course one episode was delayed a week because it was too similar to a news story, so the rest of the series was a week behind and the last one shoved out after ten o'clock as they ran out of space for it. Then they never repeated it or released it on video or anything. A hell of a show. I found it hard enough to stick with the first episode the other year, heaven knows how the fourteen-year-old me stuck with the whole thing.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always loads I want to quote when we start a new thread but picking up on the FA Cup - is the head of ITV Sport an Oldham fan or something - if they make it to the quarter finals they'll have been on ITV more this season (in the Cup anyway) than Man Utd.

Secondly - Dancc seems baffled at how The Agenda couldn't manage more than a million despite having the Chancellor on. I think the clue is in the guest there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, BBC2 is in a good place at the moment, its comedy oputput looks pretty good at the moment as well, and a lot of the factual stuff does well. And the channel does seem to have a proper house style and cohesion about it, you know what a BBC2 programme looks like. That wasn't always the case because sometimes it felt like, in comedy especially, they were going for the same kind of stuff as BBC3. The BFI Television Handbook from 2004 I mentioned the other day has a great example when that weird animated show I Am Not An Animal was on BBC2 while BBC3 were premiering a new series of Coupling.

I will not be sad to see BBC HD go because as I've said here before it irritates me that they present it as a proper channel with now and nexts and stuff when they're showing such a dispirate set of programmes it makes no sense, they go from BBC2 to BBC4 to BBC3 and nobody on the planet would possibly sit there and watch BBC HD all night. It might have made sense when it started when you might just watch anything in HD for the thrill of HD, but not now.

I agree with you on BBC Two and BBC HD. The HD channel is now a strange mix of three very different channels. And sometimes it shows repeats on it's own that draw and take away audience form the other channels.

A red button HD stream and Three and Four HD is far off but is the way to go.

Ken
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even Tyldesley is getting confused - he just said Liverpool v Zenit is on ITV4.

Looks like ITV will have got by far the best of the CL last 16 - currently on course for both Sky's British 2nd legs to be non events (though tonight's match could of course change).

ITV (and Sky) will now just be praying that Man Utd do get through.

EDIT: Someone obviously noticed and had a word with Tyldesley - he just promoted Thurs night again within a few minutes of his first attempt and he got it right this time. Indeed he even said "ITV"!
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Even Tyldesley is getting confused - he just said Liverpool v Zenit is on ITV4.

Looks like ITV will have got by far the best of the CL last 16 - currently on course for both Sky's British 2nd legs to be non events (though tonight's match could of course change).

ITV (and Sky) will now just be praying that Man Utd do get through.
    Bad results for Itv and Sky this Champions league campaign. Two English teams knocked out of group stages, now it looks like at least 2 of the remaining 3 [if not all] the british teams will be going out of the 1st knockout round. Low ratings will happen for games in the rest of the tournament.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Bad results for Itv and Sky this Champions league campaign. Two English teams knocked out of group stages, now it looks like at least 2 of the remaining 3 [if not all] the british teams will be going out of the 1st knockout round. Low ratings will happen for games in the rest of the tournament.

How many posts do you make that starts Bad.... for ITV?

What follows now is some post about how ITV will be left with a match with non UK teams, that'll rate poorly, ITV will think again about football as it's better having no football than football where the ratings fluctuate, finally concluding with something along the lines of, however it is still popular as they talk about it in the pub, although I don't watch it myself.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Always loads I want to quote when we start a new thread but picking up on the FA Cup - is the head of ITV Sport an Oldham fan or something - if they make it to the quarter finals they'll have been on ITV more this season (in the Cup anyway) than Man Utd.

During the last time they had the FA Cup, 1997-2001, because they only had second choice and Man U weren't in it in 1999/2000, they showed Man U exclusively live twice in the entire four years. That's as many times as they showed Tranmere and Wolves.

Not that there's anything unusual about Oldham being on loads. Oldham vs Liverpool was a classic cup tie and an obvious pick, Oldham vs Everton had the story that Oldham had knocked out Liverpool and this next one is from a choice of two, the other one being an all-Championship match. It literally is the luck of the draw. Hence all the Leeds FA Cup natches over the past few seasons when they're constantly been drawn against big teams.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Blimey, this one took some sorting out. Damn strikers! :D

Monday 18th February 2013
    BBC One
    06:00 – Breakfast: 595k (38.2%)
    06:30 – Bargain Hunt (r): 534k (22.9%)
    07:00 – Breakfast: 1.02m (29.3%)
    07:30 – Escape to the Country (r): 923k (19.25%)
    08:00 – Breakfast: 1.40m (23.7%)
    08:30 – Heir Hunters (r): 1.13m (18.6%)
    09:15 – Wanted Down Under Revisited (r): 1.27m (20.1%)
    10:00 – Homes Under the Hammer (r): 1.42m (22.5%)
    11:00 – Saints and Scroungers: 1.11m (18.5%)
    11:45 – Britain's Empty Homes Revisited: 1.22m (20.2%)
    12:15 – Bargain Hunt: 1.98m (28.7%)
    13:00 – BBC News at One: 2.60m (34.2%)
    13:30 – BBC Regional News: 2.51m (32.5%)
    13:35 – Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers (r): 1.61m (22.1%)
    13:45 – Doctors: 1.39m (18.5%)
    14:15 – Only Fools and Horses (r): 1.09m (16.0%)
    14:45 – Only Fools and Horses (r): 1.27m (18.0%)
    15:15 – Perfection: 1.09m (14.2%)
    16:00 – Escape to the Country (r): 1.30m (13.6%)
    16:30 – Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is: 1.92m (15.9%)
    17:15 – Pointless: 3.45m (21.7%)
    18:00 – BBC News at Six: 4.935m (25.4%)
    18:25 – BBC Regional News: 5.42m (26.8%)
    18:35 – Fake Britain (revised r): 4.08m (19.9%)
    19:00 – The One Show: 3.77m (17.4%)
    19:30 – Inside Out: 3.21m (13.7%)
    20:00 – EastEnders: 7.66m (31.4%)
    20:30 – Panorama: What's Really in our Food?: 3.23m (13.0%)
    21:00 – Penguins - Spy in the Huddle: 4.90m (20.0%)
    22:00 – BBC News at Ten: 4.59m (23.2%)
    22:25 – BBC Regional News, Weather: 4.00m (22.0%)
    22:35 – Being Eileen: 1.88m (12.7%)
    * ran from 22:33-23:01, so tape-checked from 22:35-23:00
    23:00 – Blandings (r): 843k (8.2%)
    23:30 – The Graham Norton Show (r): 463k (6.8%)
    24:15 – The Apprentice USA: 233k (5.6%)
    25:00 – Weatherview: 165k (5.3%)
    25:10 – BBC News: 128k (5.2%)
    Forum Member
    If anyone's interested, here's how The Sparticle Mystery on CBBC did last Monday:
    10:10
    Live: 140k (2.3%)
    Overnight: 151k (2.4%)
    Consolidated: 154k (2.4%)

13:50
    Live: 36k (0.5%)
    Overnight: 61k (0.7%)
    Consolidated: 90k (1.05%)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone have access to Channel 5 all day ratings yesterday? Thanks.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    All your posts have been antagonistic and very rude and I feel like it brings down the quality of the thread! :( Just because someone disagrees doesn't mean you have to be so unpleasant.

I just post facts luv, My post was 100% factual. Try it sometime
    . I think EastEnders is starting to do poorly again.. it was sandwiched between two Coronation Street episodes, so you'd usually expect the soap fans to switch over to BBC1 then back to ITV again, and to see both Corrie and EE closer to each other in the ratings.

Some of the pensioners fall asleep during the first Corrie;)
    Which explains the fall off for the second Corrie
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is predominantly a ratings thread, with added partisanship. Having said that I think we all enjoy BBC/ITV having a varied output. First of all thanks to ITV we can have live free to air European football matches.

Nowadays certain people here like to gloat/tease when ITV/BBC have a nightmare rating or have a show that gets a critical mauling. Personally I watch more live BBC than commercial tv - due to the ad breaks. I record about 15 hrs of factual on Virgin and I must avoid 16 mins of breaks per hour...that is 4 hrs saved!!

Back to ratings, good for ITV with the prison doc, surely that was a cheap hour for ITV - could they do one each month and have a guaranteed 4m on a Tuesday for example. Dwcent for Spy in the huddle - one episode was enough for me personally.
  • qwerty21qwerty21 Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    Lots of executive reshuffling going on in early 2013...

He replaces Liam Keelan who had accepted a job as Director of Sky1 but backed out after it was all announced to take the newly created role of Global Editorial Director at BBC Worldwide. Sky1 are still looking to fill that post.

What has happened to Stuart Murphy? He still tweets all the time about Sky.
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote:
    Can I request ITV4's highlights of the Man Utd v Reading FA Cup game - 10.30pm to 11.10pm. Also maybe the ESPN live coverage if you can.

ITV4 (inc +1)
    22:30-23:10 - The FA Cup: 541k (3.8%)
    * slot average: 196k (1.3%)

ESPN
    19:00-22:30 - Live FA Cup: Man U v Reading: 543k (2.3%)
    * slot average: 12k (0.06%)
    * peak: 924k (3.7%) at 21:50
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Blimey, this one took some sorting out. Damn strikers! :D

Monday 18th February 2013
    BBC One
    06:30 – Bargain Hunt (r): 534k (22.9%)

:eek: 534k watched BH at 6.30A.M LMFAO
This discussion has been closed.