Great North Run 2008

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello !

Just wondered whether anyone on here is taking part in the Great North run next sunday ??

If so-
what are your reasons for taking part
have you done it before and do you have any tips for the day
if you live in the area do you goout and cheer people on

this is my first time and I am absolutely wetting myself now ! having to stay in Sunderland as all of Newcastle was booked out (even though I booked before the actual draw took place !) .
Never been to Newcastle but looking foward to going out for a few beers after the race !!

anyway good luck to everyone oh and if you see and peely wally scotsgirl passed out at the side give me a kick !!!

xxxxx

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no one then ?????!?!?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not doing it this year, but I've done it before - here is my top tip....don't get carried away with the crowds and sprint off at the start. IIRC, a lot of the middle and latter sections of the race are up hill. Okay, it might be a gentle incline - but it is up hill. Save your energy, and you'll be picking off the worn out, early sprinters all the way to the finish!

Oh, and good look!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not doing it this year, but I've done it before - here is my top tip....don't get carried away with the crowds and sprint off at the start. IIRC, a lot of the middle and latter sections of the race are up hill. Okay, it might be a gentle incline - but it is up hill. Save your energy, and you'll be picking off the worn out, early sprinters all the way to the finish!

Oh, and good look!

Thank you !
    Hill was not a word I want to hear !!!! - I am not that quick anyway so will be going pretty slow but it is very tempting to run faster when you are when there are people watching you so I will stay at me usual slow pace !

Another quick question - do you know if there is anywhere to have a wash after ? - I am travelling back to Scotland after the race but would need to wash (for the sake of the other rail passengers !) - have visions of trying to wash in a sink in a pub toilet !!!
  • scorpio20080scorpio20080 Posts: 2,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did the Great North Walk a few months ago, does that count?:D..:o

Anyways OP, all the best for it im sure you'll be fine..:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Candy39 wrote: »
    Thank you !
    Hill was not a word I want to hear !!!! - I am not that quick anyway so will be going pretty slow but it is very tempting to run faster when you are when there are people watching you so I will stay at me usual slow pace !

Another quick question - do you know if there is anywhere to have a wash after ? - I am travelling back to Scotland after the race but would need to wash (for the sake of the other rail passengers !) - have visions of trying to wash in a sink in a pub toilet !!!

Try the North Sea!!!! Only joking, seriously good luck.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you !

I can't recall ever seeing any washing / showering facilies when I did it (probably were'nt invented then, it was sooo long ago!). Even if there are, they'll be busy, filthy, or both - so I wouldn't bother.

You should get a drink of water in your goody bag after the race - so you could douse yourself in that.

Wear your sweat and your medal with pride on the way home. You've earnt that at least :D

Don't worry about the hills. They're not that big :)
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    no one then ?????!?!?

I'm not, does that help?
  • Vanilla_SliceVanilla_Slice Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    My tips are keep as close to the left pavement or on it if possible. There is a guy who hands out plastic cups of beer part way around the course.

I almost stopped to have a **** with it but thought my overall time was more important. Though I made up for it at the end as having only had a very light breakfast and having finished the 13.2 mile course my belly was aching for some party food. The first place that caught my eye on the exit route was a donut kiosk where I scoffed down a dozen mini-donuts with a Mars Bar.

Another tip, is to agree to meet friends/relatives beforehand and tell them they can't eat before you. As shortly after the doughnuts, my friend tootled over eating a massive tray of chips with a meat burger. I bought two. Nor did I feel guilty.

Also, jumping up and down on your tippy-toes at the start doesn't equate to a proper warm-up. Do some star-jumped and do it properly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My tips are keep as close to the left pavement or on it if possible. There is a guy who hands out plastic cups of beer part way around the course.

I almost stopped to have a **** with it but thought my overall time was more important. Though I made up for it at the end as having only had a very light breakfast and having finished the 13.2 mile course my belly was aching for some party food. The first place that caught my eye on the exit route was a donut kiosk where I scoffed down a dozen mini-donuts with a Mars Bar.

Another tip, is to agree to meet friends/relatives beforehand and tell them they can't eat before you. As shortly after the doughnuts, my friend tootled over eating a massive tray of chips with a meat burger. I bought two. Nor did I feel guilty.

Also, jumping up and down on your tippy-toes at the start doesn't equate to a proper warm-up. Do some star-jumped and do it properly.

Lol - I will look out for the man passing out beer - how kind !!!!
    I have advised my other half not to eat as I want to go out for a huge lunch after ! - although I think he will be 'supporting me' whilst sitting in a nice cosy bar so not sure he will be up for eating by the time I finish !
    Thanks for the advice !
  • KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best of luck with it Candy!
    I bet it will be a fantastic atmosphere!
    I did my first 10k run yesterday and am chuffed at finishing it (and I ran all the way, slowly! LOL)