Options

No to John Barrowman taking over from Brucie

Comments

• Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never was a big Gethin fan when he was on the show, but since then I've seen him presenting quite a bit and heard him on the radio doing his show on 5Live as well. He's got a good, slightly dry sense of humour and makes you feel he's in control of proceedings as well. I think he'd be the perfect person for the gig.

I think the worst thing the powers that be could do is to replace Bruce with a Bruce-a-like - a performer with a very specific character that overshadows the point of the show. I'd far rather have someone completely different who isn't all about the jokes, to avoid direct comparisons with Bruce.

Plus, just think - with all the time freed up by cutting Bruce's joke-telling, we'd have at least long enough for an extra pro/group dance every week :D

You make some good points LL.

Hows about Eddie Izzard? (bit random I know but I like him!).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would prefer someone who knows about dancing and can dance.....
  • Options
    RichwoodRichwood Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JethroUK wrote: »
    Replace aging fool with another aging fool - no way

Gross

Anton would be great - never thought of him

Me too

Me too

Personal preference, Gabby Logan, she could also do the odd dance or two, but Anton du Beke would be a more realistic option.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »

Always ;)

I quite like the idea of Izzard as long as he promised to cross-dress in a different Strictly-style outfit every week...
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we are going down the entertainer route then how about Michael McIntyre. He has done both as standup and MCing at the Apollo.

BTW I dont like his humour and I think he is smug. But he is a professional.

No...just no! :eek: Of all the people suggested he is the only one who I would actually hate to take over. Nasty nasty man.

I quite like the idea of Angela Ripon. I think she can be very funny and doesn't take herself too seriously while having the gravitas of being a newsreader combined with the knowledge of a dancing.

That said I would be thrilled with Julian Clary too. He is lovely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »

Now that is what I call fabulous.Wonder if we could get him when he is in a transvestite phase. He's hot. :o:o:o
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always ;)

I quite like the idea of Izzard as long as he promised to cross-dress in a different Strictly-style outfit every week...

Love it!

That's sorted then :D
    Now that is what I call fabulous.Wonder if we could get him when he is in a transvestite phase. He's hot. :o:o:o
    RampsTango wrote: »
    rofl :D

Good suggestion Sid

I didn't think he'd be a popular suggestion at all! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    Always ;)

rofl :D

Good suggestion Sid
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Du Beke has presented and knows about dancing..............
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    Oh I'd have Eddie anytime.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    Corbett was so bad he made me squirm with embarrassment for him.:eek:

Well he didn't make me squirm, so Ronnie it is then!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ohh here's a thought what about Jeremy Kyle;):D
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Doug P wrote: »
    I would prefer someone who knows about dancing and can dance.....

Great personality wins over anytime even without dancing exp.

Just look at Tom Bergeron (DWTS) don't have a clue about ballroom dance but has bags of personality combined with elegant presenting style, he owns DWTS.

Can't think of anyone over here even close to style of Tom B.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great personality wins over anytime even without dancing exp.

Just look at Tom Bergeron (DWTS) don't have a clue about ballroom dance but has bags of personality combined with elegant presenting style, he owns DWTS.

Can't think of anyone over here even close to style of Tom B.

Cannot agree. I think he is as boring as hell. DWTS is not a patch on SCD.
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    We just have to agree to disagree then.

Tom is a fabulous presenter and I prefer DWTS as a whole with better production every year. SCD is ok but at the same time pants in most parts although it has slightly improved at least this year.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first choice would be Anton, but I would love John Barrowman, Graham Norton or Paul O'Grady too.

Who ever it is needs to be a quick wit to balance out the comments of the judges.

I didn't like Tom Bergeron when I first started watching DWTS, but he has grown on me. He has also grown into his role on the show over the years and is now quick with a witty quip about the judges in a way he never was when he first started. The complete professional.

I don't see the point of replacing someone who is 80+ years old with someone who is 70+ (e.g. Terry Wogan) and I thought Ronnie Corbett was dreadful when he helped out the week Bruce was ill.

I think when choosing a replacement for Bruce, the role Tess plays should be taken into consideration. She did a great job the week Bruce was ill, but it worked because she had Claudia as her side kick, who had the comedic touch the partnership needs.

I wouldn't mind Tess taking over from Bruce if Claudia, or someone funny who knows about the show and dancing took over from Tess. Mind you I can't see the BBC ever agreeing to two women presenters. :rolleyes:

Bruce's shoes will be hard to fill and who ever takes over will be popular with some and not popular with others - just like Bruce!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they have to be funny to have chemistry with Tess - in fact, her NOT setting up jokes for whoever replaces Bruce would be a lot less cringeworthy :D

I do love Tom Bergeron, I have to say. Perhaps Moira Ross will import him next series as part of her 'turn-SCD-into-DWTS-at-all-costs' campaign :eek:
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm probably in the minority here but I find JB abit too me, me, me for my liking and therefore wouldn't welcome him being the new host. I don't mind listening to him when he's being interviewed because that is then the appropriate time for him to gush about himself. But on Strictly , when its about other people as well, I just think he's the type of person that might forget that its not all about him and do a Brucie where he consantly chops in to what the judges and contestants say just so that he can hear his own voice again! I'm prob being mean to JB but sadly thats how I feel about him. He's ok when he does his own stuff and is meant to be the centre of attention but not really the right material for me when it comes to Strictly within that capacity. If Bruce does go soon, then a presenter that is a bit more self-less would be preferable as replacement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they have to be funny to have chemistry with Tess - in fact, her NOT setting up jokes for whoever replaces Bruce would be a lot less cringeworthy :D

I do love Tom Bergeron, I have to say. Perhaps Moira Ross will import him next series as part of her 'turn-SCD-into-DWTS-at-all-costs' campaign :eek:

I think you are missing my point about the need to balance out the judges' comments. To keep things light the presenting team needs the ability to deftly handle any negativity that comes from the judges and comedy is an ideal way to do that. It doesn't have to be stand up comedy, but it does need someone with wit and not just some one who is a straight forward presenter, no matter how professional they are.

Actually as much as I love Tom, I think he'd be totally wrong for SCD.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Du Beke would be a poor choice (albeit less horredous than Barrowman). Anton's previous attempts at presentation - Step up to the plate and Hole in the wall - have been more wooden than the Amazon Rainforest.
  • Options
    29bus29bus Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Graham Norton is best suggestion so far me thinks and has proved he's good at these things through Maria etc ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    Du Beke would be a poor choice (albeit less horredous than Barrowman). Anton's previous attempts at presentation - Step up to the plate and Hole in the wall - have been more wooden than the Amazon Rainforest.

I think presenting SCD is a totally different kettle of fish though. He would be in his element instead of out of it.
    29bus wrote: »
    Graham Norton is best suggestion so far me thinks and has proved he's good at these things through Maria etc ...

Exactly. He's one of the few people who has the right kind of experience.
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    29bus wrote: »
    I wouldn't object to Graham.
  • Options
    Joanne yyJoanne yy Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Anton would be good, I quite like him :) he proved himself to be a gentleman when he took on Anne , he was funny and was quiet patient with her :p

My second choice would be *Vernon* :o:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    Graham could do a good job.

Looks like more are in favour of him than anyone else. So it's a deal.