Options

Jay Garrick was the first Flash not Barry Allen!!

Comments

• Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Perhaps instead of "Original version" they should've said "Silver Age".
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Perhaps instead of "Original version" they should've said "Silver Age".

How many non-comic book fans would understand what that meant??
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Golden Age characters are always overlooked. It really irritates me, particularly since I prefer Jay to Barry any day. Likewise, Alan Scott is still the original and best Green Lantern.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Golden Age characters are always overlooked. It really irritates me, particularly since I prefer Jay to Barry any day. Likewise, Alan Scott is still the original and best Green Lantern.

Would Captain Cold and the rest of the Rogues have worked as well against Jay as they do against Barry??

I should say that I'm speaking as somewhat of an outsider as I've never actually read any Flash comics althought I have read ABOUT the various Flashes and Rogues
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    How many non-comic book fans would understand what that meant??
    If we were talking Bronze Age (80s) or Modern Age (90s) then yeah, but surely everyone knows that Golden Age is the 40s and Silver Age is the 60s?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If we were talking Bronze Age (80s) or Modern Age (90s) then yeah, but surely everyone knows that Golden Age is the 40s and Silver Age is the 60s?

I would argue that only Marvel and DC fans would know about the various "Ages"
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but surely everyone knows that Golden Age is the 40s and Silver Age is the 60s?

I guess i'm in the minority that doesn't have a clue what your saying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would Captain Cold and the rest of the Rogues have worked as well against Jay as they do against Barry??

I should say that I'm speaking as somewhat of an outsider as I've never actually read any Flash comics althought I have read ABOUT the various Flashes and Rogues
    Well, the Rogues have fought Jay, more than once-and yes, I'd say they work just as well with him. The thing about Flash stories is that, Golden Age or Silver, they were almost always fun and fairly lightweight, and the Rogues tend to work well in those kind of stories as they were originally fairly goofy characters.
    I would argue that only Marvel and DC fans would know about the various "Ages"
    I think almost any comics fan would know Golden Age and Silver Age, really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, the Rogues have fought Jay, more than once-and yes, I'd say they work just as well with him. The thing about Flash stories is that, Golden Age or Silver, they were almost always fun and fairly lightweight, and the Rogues tend to work well in those kind of stories as they were originally fairly goofy characters.

I think almost any comics fan would know Golden Age and Silver Age, really.

Interesting to know
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting trivia fact no. 1, 8889, 765: the original Star Sapphire was a Golden Age Flash villain before the character was reinvented for the Silver Age Green Lantern.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting trivia fact no. 1, 8889, 765: the original Star Sapphire was a Golden Age Flash villain before the character was reinvented for the Silver Age Green Lantern.

If you say so :)

I'm more of an expert on Judge Dredd and 2000AD :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you say so :)

I'm more of an expert on Judge Dredd and 2000AD :)

Aha! Then you might well be of assistance with this little project:

http://britishcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Albion_British_Comics_Database_Wiki

Our 2000AD section could use expanding (open to all who wish to add or edit, providing they know their stuff!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aha! Then you might well be of assistance with this little project:

http://britishcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Albion_British_Comics_Database_Wiki

Our 2000AD section could use expanding (open to all who wish to add or edit, providing they know their stuff!)

I'll certainly take a look :)

I'm not a total novice as I'm part of this collective effort

http://althistory.wikia.com/wiki/1983:_Doomsday
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll certainly take a look :)

I'm not a total novice as I'm part of this collective effort

http://althistory.wikia.com/wiki/1983:_Doomsday

Hey, interesting stuff! Thanks for that-I'll check it out more fully tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, interesting stuff! Thanks for that-I'll check it out more fully tomorrow.

As with the wider Wikipedia it can be very addictive :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As with the wider Wikipedia it can be very addictive :)

I know. I started the British comics wiki after I got hooked on editing the Marvel and DC Database wiki's. I actually spent 10 minutes on the DC one earlier today, creating an entry for Plastic Man of Earth Two...:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know. I started the British comics wiki after I got hooked on editing the Marvel and DC Database wiki's. I actually spent 10 minutes on the DC one earlier today, creating an entry for Plastic Man of Earth Two...:o

Earth Two was the original home of the Golden Age characters right??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Earth Two was the original home of the Golden Age characters right??

Basically, yes. Earth Two was the Earth designation allocated to the Golden Age characters after someone decided their newer Silver Age counterparts were on Earth One (which never made much sense, since Earth Two had obviously been around longer), but Plastic Man was originally a Quality Comics character bought by DC in the sixties so the Earth Two Plas was actually a continuity implant created by Roy Thomas when he decided all the characters DC had who'd been active in the forties should be featured in his All-Star Squadron series (circa 1982). By then, it had already been established that a version of the character existed on Earth One, another on Earth Twelve, and supposedly another (the original Quality version) had died on Earth X. Later, Thomas 'revealed' that the earth Two version migrated to Earth X in 1942. Hmm, 'basically' wasn't really the right word, was it...:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Complicated" would be more fitting :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Complicated" would be more fitting :)

OK: all you need to know is that any DC character published before 1954 was based on Earth Two (except Superboy, who's something of an anomaly), and the majority of the Silver Age/Bronze Age characters were on Earth One. The significant exceptions were the Captain Marvel Family (Earth S), the Freedom Fighters (Earth X, all former Quality characters) and the Crime Syndicate of America, arch foes of the heroic Alex Luthor (Earth 3). Less significant were Earth 12 (Inferior Five, Son of Plastic Man), Earth B (hypothetical world where a lot of problematic Batman stories crafted by the continuity eschewing Murray Boltinoff, Bob Haney and E Nelson Bridwell were posited to have happened), Earth C (home of DC's funny animal characters) and the later Earth Four (home of the former Charlton Comics heroes). Then, they all blew up, leasving just New Earth. Now, they're all back, but with some diferent numerical designations.

All except Earth C, damn them! I miss Captain Carrot...:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    OK: all you need to know is that any DC character published before 1954 was based on Earth Two (except Superboy, who's something of an anomaly), and the majority of the Silver Age/Bronze Age characters were on Earth One. The significant exceptions were the Captain Marvel Family (Earth S), the Freedom Fighters (Earth X, all former Quality characters) and the Crime Syndicate of America, arch foes of the heroic Alex Luthor (Earth 3). Less significant were Earth 12 (Inferior Five, Son of Plastic Man), Earth B (hypothetical world where a lot of problematic Batman stories crafted by the continuity eschewing Murray Boltinoff, Bob Haney and E Nelson Bridwell were posited to have happened), Earth C (home of DC's funny animal characters) and the later Earth Four (home of the former Charlton Comics heroes). Then, they all blew up, leasving just New Earth. Now, they're all back, but with some diferent numerical designations.

All except Earth C, damn them! I miss Captain Carrot...:mad:

If they're all back it makes you wonder why DC ever bothered with Crisis On Infinite Earths
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they're all back it makes you wonder why DC ever bothered with Crisis On Infinite Earths

Supposedly to straighten out and streamline fifty years worth of continuity, but I think it quickly became apparent that all they'd really done was confuse longtime readers and new fans alike and stifle writers' creativity. Pity it took them twenty years to try and rectify it and then they still couldn't simply revert to the former status quo due to editorial edict (writers have now been told not to use the multiverse even though it's been restored).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Supposedly to straighten out and streamline fifty years worth of continuity, but I think it quickly became apparent that all they'd really done was confuse longtime readers and new fans alike and stifle writers' creativity. Pity it took them twenty years to try and rectify it and then they still couldn't simply revert to the former status quo due to editorial edict (writers have now been told not to use the multiverse even though it's been restored).

To a large degree 2000AD doesn't have that problem although over the past few years it has be acknowledged that several of the stories exist at different points in the same basic timeline and one writer, Ian Edginton has characters and motifs from his different stories appearing in each other and so his stories have come to be known as all appearing in the "Edginton-verse"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To a large degree 2000AD doesn't have that problem although over the past few years it has be acknowledged that several of the stories exist at different points in the same basic timeline and one writer, Ian Edginton has characters and motifs from his different stories appearing in each other and so his stories have come to be known as all appearing in the "Edginton-verse"

Pat Mills has been keen to link as many of his stories into the same universe as possible for years now, with varying degrees of success. He says he's really looking forward to writing Howard Quartz's accident in 'Savage' and having 'Richard Branson' transformed into Mr 10%!