Sky sports 1 to air on PickTV on 17/8/13

tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11096/8794732/Sky-Sports-kick-off-biggest-Premier-League-season-with-free-first-day
To celebrate the first day of the Premier League season and Sky Sports' new line up of football, programmes from Sky Sports 1 will replace the regular programming on Sky 2 (on Sky and other pay TV services) and Pick TV (on Freeview and You View) on Saturday 17th August.

I know its only for one day but it better than nothing.Can't wait for this free day of sports. :D:D:D

Comments

• Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a cynical ploy by Sky, and PickTV's picture quality is crap so it'll look awful anyway.

I'll pass, if you excuse the pun. ;)
  • MJH1962MJH1962 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Just a cynical ploy by Sky, and PickTV's picture quality is crap so it'll look awful anyway.

Its no worse than Sky Sports 1 & 2 currently broadcast by BT on DTT. Not brilliant, but certainly not crap as you suggest.

I agree though that it is a spoiler by Sky in its battle with BT.
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

MJH1962 wrote: »
    Its no worse than Sky Sports 1 & 2 currently broadcast by BT on DTT. Not brilliant, but certainly not crap as you suggest.

I agree though that it is a spoiler by Sky in its battle with BT.

Well the way i see it is the big winners are freeview viewers.The picture quality will be the same anyway whatever on but now there something better to watch for that saturday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What matches will there show?
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't know as the televised fixtures haven't been announced yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MJH1962 wrote: »
    Well I'm certainly not one who enjoys watching football at 544x576 resolution, which is one reason why I refuse to take Sky Sports on DTT. To me it IS crap, and I certainly wouldn't pay for that picture quality.

Nearly all the free football I watch is in HD with the exception of the odd Europa league game, but then I use the satellite version of ITV4 for that as it has a better picture resolution than the freeview version.

At the end of the day it's going to look very poor on PickTV if viewed on a modern HD flat screen tv, certainly not good enough for me, so I'll just stick to watching the highlights in HD on MoTD later that evening. :)
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    What matches will there show?

10am - Soccer AM
    12pm - FL72 - Leeds v Sheffield Wednesday
    2:30pm - Saturday Night Football - Preview and build-up to 3pm games
    3pm - Soccer Saturday with Jeff Stelling
    5pm - Saturday Night Football - Premier League game yet to be announced

The free day ends at 8pm as Sky can't show Football First FTA due to the BBC having FTA highlights on MOTD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they allowed to show a Premier League game at the same time as BT then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they allowed to show a Premier League game at the same time as BT then?

No, but they can show Football League games. BT's games will be at 12:45pm on Saturday's (as well as midweek/bank holiday games)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    10am - Soccer AM
    12pm - FL72 - Leeds v Sheffield Wednesday
    2:30pm - Saturday Night Football - Preview and build-up to 3pm games
    3pm - Soccer Saturday with Jeff Stelling
    5pm - Saturday Night Football - Premier League game yet to be announced

The free day ends at 8pm as Sky can't show Football First FTA due to the BBC having FTA highlights on MOTD.

Thanks for the information.So the chapionship game is confirm. I guess we we find out which EPL game will be shown by Sky in the coming weeks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but they can show Football League games. BT's games will be at 12:45pm on Saturday's (as well as midweek/bank holiday games)
    Ah, I thought BT had the 5.30pm slot like ESPN. :)
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Well I'm certainly not one who enjoys watching football at 544x576 resolution, which is one reason why I refuse to take Sky Sports on DTT. To me it IS crap, and I certainly wouldn't pay for that picture quality.

Nearly all the free football I watch is in HD with the exception of the odd Europa league game, but then I use the satellite version of ITV4 for that as it has a better picture resolution than the freeview version.

At the end of the day it's going to look very poor on PickTV if viewed on a modern HD flat screen tv, certainly not good enough for me, so I'll just stick to watching the highlights in HD on MoTD later that evening. :)

Had Sky Sports on DTT from launch and was never disappointed with the PQ.
    It was always very clear and alot better than you might have expected.
    Agreed though, the picture on PickTV will be like someone has covered the screen in a semi-transparent plastic sheet but, some are not that bothered and its a good advert for Sky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure all the special free runs on Pick TV help to boost Sky advertising Sky so for them it's a win/win.

Plus depending on things go they may decide to repeat this rather like Sky Thursday and the free weekends they have done on Pick in the past few years. Not saying they will just that they could.

Not a sports fan so I'm nt bothered to that extent but I can see how it could be very handy for those who like sport but can't afford Sky etc.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks good, if you like football.

2 live matches plus soccer AM and soccer Saturday

However, I won't be watching, as I am out of the country that weekend!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The free PL match at Sat 5:30pm has been confirmed as Swansea v Man Utd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The free PL match at Sat 5:30pm has been confirmed as Swansea v Man Utd.

Thank you jlp95bwfc i guessed that it would be the chelsea game or MAN UTD that got the free airing.I am looking forward to theses two free matches on PickTV.
  • unknown17unknown17 Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't see why people are making such a big deal out this:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unknown17 wrote: »
    I really don't see why people are making such a big deal out this:rolleyes:

Well i believe this is the first time Sky has put live sports on PickTv.I also believe This is the first time Sky has shown a Live English premier league games on freeview.

It could become a regular thing free days on PickTv once or twice a year i no it not much but it better than nothing.

(Funny note) Big Deal use to be on LCN 32 but has closed.Now its moviemix.:D:p;)
  • gothergother Posts: 14,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i believe this is the first time Sky has put live sports on PickTv.I also believe This is the first time Sky has shown a Live English premier league games on freeview.

It could become a regular thing free days on PickTv once or twice a year i no it not much but it better than nothing.

(Funny note) Big Deal use to be on LCN 32 but has closed.Now its moviemix.:D:p;)

No Sky have done the free passes on picktv before which have had premier league matches on too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    No Sky have done the free passes on picktv before which have had premier league matches on too

I know ESPN have but PIckTv have never had live football.They have had soccer saturday on before but no live sport.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know ESPN have but PIckTv have never had live football.They have had soccer saturday on before but no live sport.

Weren't there a match a few years ago on Skysports news too when that was on freeview?
    I'm pretty sure there have been a couple of matches on pick tv too in the past. I may be wrong though.
  • RedunitedRedunited Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky sports news should return to Freeview better than the boring bbc scores rubbish.
  • BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All here are using the word 'sport', but apart from football, what other sport will there be?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bizman wrote: »
    All here are using the word 'sport', but apart from football, what other sport will there be?

What are you talking about?