Religious Question that Needs Answering

Comments

• TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would argue that most people in the UK arent aware where Christianity was born & in what language.

I'm sure they feel it was in one of the Home Counties & the Bible was revealed & printed in English....

I'm sure all those references to Israel, Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Galilee and dozens of historical tribes and parts of the country go straight over everybody's heads...
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a very funny thread indeed.
    I remember C. Meyer writing in his book about a woman at a meeting, commenting on a move to have various languages used in the USA, and she said that 'If English was good enough for Jesus it should be good enough for anyone'.

OP do you really think that the apostles Peter, James, Matthew and Mark were named after Americans?
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Yea as other have said, the names we see in the Bible are modernised English names!

I often don't consider the setting and look at the stories in a sanitised way. The bible leaves much to the imagination the way the stories are told

Hi netty... Long time :D

Yoo hoo, my long lost friend. :D

ETA: There's a few of the old regulars on the atheist thread, up page. I hadn't seen them for ages!
  • BrotherDanielBrotherDaniel Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    I think they were more likely to be multi-lingual.

Indeed
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    I think they were more likely to be multi-lingual.

Yes possibly; but they still would have had an L1, which would have been Aramaic.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Never mind the names, paintings tend to portray non-semitic people. I realise I'm on a sticky wicket here but isn't it strange how a lack of imagination betrays the fiction.

Hey, maybe they evolved to look European, as Christianity spread?

You will find that all cultures and countries have drawn Jesus and the disciples to look like the people from their own country. There are pictures of Jesus looking Chinese, Indian, African, European and so on. It is pretty obvious that he would have been a dark brown colour and looking rather like an arab.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    cultureman wrote: »
    Just to add to the mix; Jesus and his disciples probably spoke Aramaic.

They actually spoke bollocks. That is if they existed, which they didn't.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »

A very unhelpful answer based on no evidence whatsoever.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just going through a Religious thread and I had a thought , as "Jesus" was Jewish how come all his "disciples" have western names Mathew , Mark ,Luke , John and Peter :confused:
    answers please anyone
    Every now and then I get a call from someone speaking English but with an accent I can barely understand.
    It's always a call centre in the Indian sub continent and the caller is "Dave" or "James".
    Same thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    What's the evidence or proof they did exist?
    Forum Member

Oh, no, please don't ask that!

I've spent all day arguing with religious people telling me to prove there isn't a god or afterlife. You really don't want to go there. Save yourself while you still can!
    Forum Member

Prove to me that Jesus existed and that he was the son of a deity.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just going through a Religious thread and I had a thought , as "Jesus" was Jewish how come all his "disciples" have western names Mathew , Mark ,Luke , John and Peter :confused:
    answers please anyone

Probably around the same time they decided Mary was a Virgin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You've spent all day arguing with religious people telling you to prove there isn't a god or afterlife. You really don't want to go there. Save yourself while you still can!
    :)
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    answers please anyone

Look at the origins of the disciples names, not just where you're most likely to hear them in modern times...

-Peter's name was actually Simon according to the Gospels - Simon is a Hebrew name and Peter is a Greek name.
    -Andrew is a Greek name.
    -James and John are both Hebrew names.
    -Philip and Thomas are Greek.
    -Bartholomew is Hebrew.
    -Matthew is a derivitive of Greek and Hebrew names, he was also referred to in the Bible as Levi which is a Hebrew name.
    -Thaddeus is a Greek name.
    - Judas is the Greek form of a Hebrew name.

Then there was another Simon and another James, so that's all of their names covered.
    Forum Member
    You've spent all day arguing with religious people telling you to prove there isn't a god or afterlife. You really don't want to go there. Save yourself while you still can!
    :)

:D

You see?

This is a perfect example of what talking to these people has done to me!
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    answers please anyone
    This is your best site (i've started with Peter as an example);

http://www.behindthename.com/name/peter
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Answer my question first.
  • MenoetiusMenoetius Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's as much evidence that they spoke bollocks as there is evidence of god, a son of god or any other such nonsense.

Given that there is evidence that people do indeed talk bollocks, you hear it every day, and there's absolutely no evidence of god, I'm with Flat Matt.
  • lee_sharplee_sharp Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm with Toby and flat...... it's bollocks........it was a good story to provide control of the masses.......convince a few that there was some sort of super being that controlled everything......the rumour spreads and before you know it..it's fact.

Funny how some of the most god fearing countries suffer the most pain, violence, hardship..... surely the sky fairy would protect his main fan base.
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lee_sharp wrote: »
    I'm with Toby and flat...... it's bollocks........it was a good story to provide control of the masses.......convince a few that there was some sort of super being that controlled everything......the rumour spreads and before you know it..it's fact.

Funny how some of the most god fearing countries suffer the most pain, violence, hardship..... surely the sky fairy would protect his main fan base.

so true.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Yes possibly; but they still would have had an L1, which would have been Aramaic.
    I know that a lot of early developments in mathematics happened in that part of the world but I had no idea that it included orbital dynamics, much less laying claim to a gravitational 'sweet spot' that the rest of us didn't know about until hundreds of years later, is nothing sacred? :mad:

Edit: in answer to the OP, a book of major cultural significance (regardless of opinions on content) is going to have all sorts of noticeable effects (both good and bad), and modern versions of old names used in such a book are probably inevitable. Plus in Western countries we have trouble with long names and using too much ink, hence the preference for the shorter ones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have two posts on this thread neither of which poses a question.
    I simply asked you a question which was
    "What's the evidence/proof they existed?"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .......... in Western countries we have trouble with long names and using too much ink, hence the preference for the shorter ones.

Cheers Doc :)
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I suppose one thing that is quite strange is that even after the English version of the Bible became universal in the UK in the 17th century very few boys were named 'Jesus'

I can't think of any.......

Do you know any Josh's?