Virgin Email service

56up56up Posts: 839
Forum Member
✭✭
Not sure where this should be posted, but this is a good a place as any

I note that VM are setting up their own email service and dropping Google. I am so glad, I really dislike the Google webmail dashboard- it's clunky and emails are hard to read. In comparison MS Outlook is simple and streamlined so I do hope VM are taking a leaf out of that book. The screenshots do show a decent dashboard.

Also, the VM Google mail is totally incompatible with a Windows phone and I was never able to view emails using IMAP. My Outlook 365 accounts synchronise perfectly. So I am hopeful that this will work with the new service. That will mean I will be able to stop migrating all my email subscriptions to Outlook.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Thesdays I would be wary of setting up your email with your BB provider. You leave they ditch your email and since changing email address isnt something we want to do too often, it becomes a hold they have on you.

You are better off entrusting it to hotmail.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Have just re-set up my Virgin Mail on a new machine, running Windows Live Mail.

When I tried to download my mail from the Virgin server for my account it only downloaded mails form today and yesterday and a few from January. I have something like 1000 mails on the server as I never delete them and keep them there as a back up.

How do I get it to download them all?
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Virgin E-mail has been up the creek for ages with the Google/invalid broken robot stuff, hopefully this will all be sorted wit the new service as they are ditching Google.
    Not to mention the "Im not a Robot" farce.
    We will see.
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member
    I remember when ntl used to run their own email system, it was always going down, it's been far more reliable with google.

Lets hope they do a better job this time.
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    I've just received an email about this and it didn't mention actual email at all, it was all about webmail. I do hope they'll still support email.
  • robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new system is terrible, once again Virgin take something that isn't broken and f*** it up.
  • jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robborocks wrote: »
    The new system is terrible, once again Virgin take something that isn't broken and f*** it up.

Ive noticed that as well, I was a big supporter of Virgin Media Products, I recently got rid of my TV packages and lust kept my phone and broadband.

Virgin seem to have lost their way in all aspects of customer service
  • djleekeedjleekee Posts: 1,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didnt mind the previous version and LOVED the Google version - but this latest incarnation just looks a mess!

Id set up rules and things with Google and everything went where I wanted it to go and I acheived inbox zero every day.

Think this is going to take much longer to sort out.

I might just stop using it and opt for a new gmail account instead!
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though I've been with Virgin for ~6yrs I've kept using my AOL email address as I love their web-program-interface thingie (technical name ?) and can't stand the Virgin one.
  • robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else having issues accessing their emails? This is the 5th time in the last fortnight I've been unable to get on.

Poor service and poor support from
  • norriejamnorriejam Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Anyone else having issues accessing their emails? This is the 5th time in the last fortnight I've been unable to get on.

I've not received any email to my ntlworld.com address since 10th September to my email client (Mac Mail) on my computer. I can access it via webmail but it is more convenient for me for the email to come direct to my email client.

Due to work I don't have time to call VM so I've left a couple of messages on their forum but as yet I've heard nothing back.

To be fair the folk helping out on the forum are being kept pretty busy as the forum is awash with email complaints/cry for help.
  • martytoomartytoo Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VM email has been a poor service for years, I switched to Yahoo for my primary email years ago.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member

Yes, can send but cannot receive anything.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be back up & working now.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They seem to be letting through more phishing emails than Google did. I got a phishing email purporting to be from Virgin Media this morning, first day on the new system. If they can't even filter those out...!
  • Golden BrownGolden Brown Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Since the 'new' Virgin e-mail I have been unable to open any attachments. I posted on the Virgin Media forum and got the reply that 'it was a known issue and they were trying to fix it'. That was some weeks ago and nothing has changed. And as a previous poster said, there have been numerous occasions recently when I have been unable to access e-mails 'because we are currently experiencing technical difficulties'! I sometimes wonder why I continue to pay Virgin Media mega bucks every month for a poor service...
  • ogrynogryn Posts: 3,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the love of spam! What a downgrade this new platform is. I might have to disconnect my account from my phone as the amount of new notifications for spam emails is ridiculous.
  • pgnlpgnl Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    On their Service Notification, it says there is a problem :

Virgin Media Mail- Unwanted/Junk Mail being received due to filtering issues.
    We have identified the problem and an engineer is on their way.
    Reference no: F003929073
    Due to be fixed by
    02 October 16:05

- they are not kidding.

Fortunately, I can choose where to route my emails (I use 1and1 for email and have various forwards and seperate accounts), so I have forwarded them to another mail box with built in spam filters. I received between 11:52 and 12:05 today alone I receive 6 items of cr*p.

Lets hope they fix it soon.

Patrick
    North Worcestershire
  • ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pgnl wrote: »
    On their Service Notification, it says there is a problem :

Virgin Media Mail- Unwanted/Junk Mail being received due to filtering issues.
    We have identified the problem and an engineer is on their way.
    Reference no: F003929073
    Due to be fixed by
    02 October 16:05

- they are not kidding.

Fortunately, I can choose where to route my emails (I use 1and1 for email and have various forwards and seperate accounts), so I have forwarded them to another mail box with built in spam filters. I received between 11:52 and 12:05 today alone I receive 6 items of cr*p.

Lets hope they fix it soon.

Patrick
    North Worcestershire

Further update

Fault Ref: F003929073

The latest update is: We have identified the problem and an engineer is on their way

We now expect to have this resolved by 03 October 2015 12:05

The Virgin Media Team
  • ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Further update

The latest update is: We have identified the problem and an engineer is on their way

We now expect to have this resolved by 03 October 2015 12:05

The Virgin Media Team

Just received another update email

We now expect to have this resolved by 02 October 2015 22:40

The Virgin Media Team
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member
    Their answer was to block email servers on dynamic IPs connecting to their mail server, had a few failure emails this morning, where my mail server tried to forward emails to my ntlworld address.
  • epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an ntlworld.com email address and cannot get into my VM email account this morning. I either get a strange log in screen Oxy, or get white screen with the word 'Forbidden'!
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now weve got this OX app suite rubbish........which dosent accept my log in anyway!
  • specklyspeckly Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epsom wrote: »
    I have an ntlworld.com email address and cannot get into my VM email account this morning. I either get a strange log in screen Oxy, or get white screen with the word 'Forbidden'!

I got that, too, early on today. A few minutes ago it seemed OK, though.

VM's broadband has been satisfactory for me to date. That bit I like. But their customer-facing systems, such as their automated phone system, web pages and email are absolute chaos in my experience. :)
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Is the switchover complete then? I haven't noticed any difference, so I guess it was just the webmail interface that changed.